Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How long to charge lipo >

How long to charge lipo

How long to charge lipo

Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default How long to charge lipo

How long should it take to charge a 2000 mah 7.4v reciever pack. I have a Hyperion EOS 5idp charger. It takes over an hour to charge it. That seems like a long time to me.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How many amps are you charging? At that mah u should be a 2. I have a common sense rx pack that I can charge at 3 or 4 c and only need to top it off once a day.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

At 1c it takes about an hour for me (Losi 2000 on a 606i).
Old 03-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DezSlash
How many amps are you charging? At that mah u should be a 2. I have a common sense rx pack that I can charge at 3 or 4 c and only need to top it off once a day.
I charge it at 2 amps. I charge it after every quliafier and it still takes 45 mins to an hour. I wasn't sure if I needed a different charger or what. The battery is not very old maybe 2 or 3 months might have 4 or 5 races on it.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by J.Sears
I charge it at 2 amps. I charge it after every quliafier and it still takes 45 mins to an hour. I wasn't sure if I needed a different charger or what. The battery is not very old maybe 2 or 3 months might have 4 or 5 races on it.

question is why are you charging it after Every quali...are you not noticing its only taking 100-200 mah ?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Wow you charge that often???? i do it mid day just to keep track. i could probably do a entire club race with out charging.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You do not have to charge a lipo that often. That is one of the advantages of running lipo. You can fully charge it and it can last two race weekends easily with no charge. A 1600 nimh will last for 3 quals and a main as well. You are definetly over charging the battery. Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jaywax
You do not have to charge a lipo that often. That is one of the advantages of running lipo. You can fully charge it and it can last two race weekends easily with no charge. A 1600 nimh will last for 3 quals and a main as well. You are definetly over charging the battery. Hope this helps.

2 weekends....that depends on A Lot of factors.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I make a few practice runs along with the 2 quals and main. Usually takes 1200mah to top it off (Losi 2000).
Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

I guess I'm just afraid that it would get to low and have a run away. Thanks guy's I will start running it longer before I charge it. So is the charger I'm using ok then.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

How long should it take to charge a 2000 mah 7.4v reciever pack. I have a Hyperion EOS 5idp charger. It takes over an hour to charge it. That seems like a long time to me.
I think he's asking how long should he charge the battery for, not how often...

To answer your question.... you don't have to worry about shutting it off ... hyporion charger you mentioned will stop charging once it senses that the battery is fully charged. And you should always charge it completely when you charge. As far as the actual charging time, it will depend on how drained the battery was.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I guess I'm just afraid that it would get to low and have a run away. Thanks guy's I will start running it longer before I charge it. So is the charger I'm using ok then.
Are you running unregulated?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjqkz
Are you running unregulated?
I am running it unregulated. I was asking how long does it normally take to charge a lipo battery. I guess what I really wanted to know is the charger that I'm using a decent charger.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xjqkz
I think he's asking how long should he charge the battery for, not how often...

To answer your question.... you don't have to worry about shutting it off ... hyporion charger you mentioned will stop charging once it senses that the battery is fully charged. And you should always charge it completely when you charge. As far as the actual charging time, it will depend on how drained the battery was.
actually you are really cutting your lipo batteries life short by letting it charge those last couple mill volts....theirs no need to sqeeze every tiny bit out of your reciever pack especially but if you only charge to around 4.16 or so..mainly when your charger starts dropping amps really low its good to goo and the battery will end up lasting much longer....also if you dont have to push it which you shouldnt in a receiver pack if you just run it down to like 3.4 or 3.6 or so rather than 3.2 or even 3.0...it will also help with the life of the battery...but as to your question when letting it charge those last couple millvolts it will take a while ,hence the 45 min charge time...