R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (99%+)
Default burning through Glow Plugs

so what would cause my motor to burn through glow plugs so quickly. i have a Ninja JX21 that is about 2 1/2 gallons old and up until last night has been running flawless and was actually still on the original factory glow plug. well just last night i went through 3 glow plugs and i cant figure out why. the tune didnt change and the car was running strong all night but i had to but a brand new pkug in each time i fired up the car cuz they were burnt out. and i know it was a plug because as soon as i put a new one it she fired right up. PLEASE help plugs arent cheap and cant afford to keep going through them like that
by the way i am running an OS P3 plug in the motor and its in an xray 808 with an os 2050 pipe
skoalisbad4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me View Post
so what would cause my motor to burn through glow plugs so quickly. i have a Ninja JX21 that is about 2 1/2 gallons old and up until last night has been running flawless and was actually still on the original factory glow plug. well just last night i went through 3 glow plugs and i cant figure out why. the tune didnt change and the car was running strong all night but i had to but a brand new pkug in each time i fired up the car cuz they were burnt out. and i know it was a plug because as soon as i put a new one it she fired right up. PLEASE help plugs arent cheap and cant afford to keep going through them like that
by the way i am running an OS P3 plug in the motor and its in an xray 808 with an os 2050 pipe

if your eating throw plugs like that, than i think you might have leak somewhere.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

check your rod for slop, that usually causes plugs to blow quickly. OS rod bushings wear somewhat quickly.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Tech Master

no leaks, motor is all sealed up. if there was a leak the motor just wouldnt run the way it does. it screams down the back straight, drops to a perfect idle every time the tune is very good and after a 15min A main it came off the track right at 221. the motor runs flawless except for the fact that i cant keep a plug. and this just started last night
Old 03-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i had a faulty plug in my jx not to long ago. Put it in started once then burned out.

Faulty plug. Dont' know, but maybe you got a bad batch?

are you absolutley sure it's the plug? Did you check them all when you had them out of your engine?

Maybe you got some freak fuel?

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

good chance the front bearing is bad,,, common in OS engines. has the engine "backfired" at all?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default glow plugs

I've had the same problem with my LRP.28, the orig plug lasted a full gallon, since then I've had issues with them, different brands,colds..mediums, I think what was doing was running the engine too lean, causing it to burn the plugs if it ran out of fuel or pinched the fuel line to shut it off. I'm runnung LSN a little richer than I was before,have run about a quart of fuel thru with this plug, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Hitec HS-7955TG/5645MG - Stickman Batteries -Airtronics M11x
Traxxas Summit 1/10 on Gens Ace 2S lipos 5000mah
rotarynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #8

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
check your rod for slop, that usually causes plugs to blow quickly. OS rod bushings wear somewhat quickly.
ya what he says...... hi dave....

also a rich lsn and a very lean high needle will cause this... causing a false normal idle.. like rotarynut stated do a pinch test on fuel line. around 4 secs then die is what you are looking for.... for indoor nitro temps should be 180-200 if outdoor then temp is good.... jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
dja
Tech Initiate

If you are plugging the exhaust when you shut your engine down this compresses the filament in the plug and causes it to fowl almost every time. You have to shut the engine off by stopping the fly wheel, had to do this when I switched to P3's.
dja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja View Post
If you are plugging the exhaust when you shut your engine down this compresses the filament in the plug and causes it to fowl almost every time. You have to shut the engine off by stopping the fly wheel, had to do this when I switched to P3's.
Is this an OS thing? I always kill my engines by plugging the exhaust and I've only had 1 plug fail.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Is this an OS thing? I always kill my engines by plugging the exhaust and I've only had 1 plug fail.

Plugging the exhaust stinger is also a great way to suck all the dirt out of your air filter and right into your engine
Old 03-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
Tech Master

I never ever shut down the car by plugging the stinger. Always stop it with the flywheel. I checked the rod earlier in the week and not a bit of play. I will do the fuel line test. Maybe my tune is off. But my tune is good, any other suggestions? Maybe bad bearings?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
good chance the front bearing is bad,,, common in OS engines. has the engine "backfired" at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me View Post
Maybe my tune is off. But my tune is good, any other suggestions? Maybe bad bearings?

Last edited by jpalessi; 03-20-2010 at 08:54 PM.
jpalessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If spanking plugs came outta no where try this...

Take off the head and look at the button and check for detonation(the button will look rough and so will the piston) if thats happening then thats usually from a bad bearing or con rod... and will spank plugs like crazy... hopefully you didnt drop a coil because that is common when engines get like this...
Old 03-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post
If spanking plugs came outta no where try this...

Take off the head and look at the button and check for detonation(the button will look rough and so will the piston) if thats happening then thats usually from a bad bearing or con rod... and will spank plugs like crazy... hopefully you didnt drop a coil because that is common when engines get like this...
+1 most likely a bearing in this case.. OS

its sucks a $15 dollar bearing causes hundreds in pre-mature failures.

GO TKO!