R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Losi and LRP tires?

I picked up some Losi and LRP buggy tires at some good prices and am wondering if anyone runs these and what your impressions are of them.

I got the Losi Eclipse Red compound, Losi Taper Pins Silver compound, and LRP Kamikaze supersoft. I wanted the Taper Pins in Red, but ordered the wrong one before I noticed (oops). I'm still thinking about picking up the Step Pins in red if they are good, but won't if the Step Pins aren't worth it.
I didn't order the Losi XBTs because I had the XTTs (same tire I believe, just different size for different application) in my 8T before and they didn't perform well at the track I run at.

Last edited by JSR; 03-20-2010 at 09:00 AM.
JSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Tech Elite

I have been running the Losi tires a lot lately. XBT in front and Eclipse in back. Have been running pretty good with this combination. If you need less steering, then run Eclipse's all the way around.

Running the Green compound most of the time because the weather has been cool, but starting to warm up and will run more Red compound.

The Step-Pins are more for really Loamy tracks.

Don't know anything about the LRP tires. Sorry.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
JSR
Tech Master

Thanks cornerspeed. I actually meant I have the Taper Pins. Not sure how those are as I haven't tried them yet. Have you (or anyone else) tried the Taper Pins?
So it looks like Red compound is pretty decent. It's been cold here too, but when it warms up, it really warms up...some days it's been in the 80s and when summer hits, it will be in the 90s and 100s.
Sounds like the Eclipse are pretty decent. I'm not sure I want to try the XBTs since I didn't like the XTTs at my track. I'm very curious how the Taper Pin tires work. My track is hardpacked dirt with a loose top soil/dirt layer.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The LRP's should work well on that as well as the Eclipse. The race I was at 2 weeks ago was extremely slick and the Kamikaze hooked up well.

I like the XBT's for training tires.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
JSR
Tech Master

Thanks guys.

Anyone have feedback on the Taper Pins? I'm wondering if picking up the Red compound Taper Pins are worth it.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Taper pins work best on really hard pack. I wouldn't get red, they're so soft I can't imagie them lasting more than a couple of runs. Most tracks that call for a taper use pink compound on moist, packed indoor surfaces. If you come across a track with a hardpack, blue groove surface then the silver taper pin should be great for that. Set it up with a firmer foam.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
Tech Adept

In my last race i run a set of LRP Kamikaze supersoft and i really enjoy it, i think you will not be disappoiting
Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
JSR
Tech Master

The track I run on is hardpacked dirt with a healthy dust of topsoil that makes it pretty slippery. This past weekend, my Losi Step Pins had no grip. I tried someone else's AKA City Blocks and they were a tiny bit better, but still sliding around. I have a set of Silver Taper Pins already, but no wheels to mount them on. The silver taper pins come with standard soft foam instead of the medium molded foam of the other Losi tires. Maybe those would do ok from you description about the track surface since the surface is pretty hardpacked and abrasive. But I might need to pick up some firmer foams from your description. Even though it's a pretty hardpacked track and it's getting pretty warm, people still run soft and supersoft tires on it. I don't know how quickly they wear though. I tend to run harder compounds just because I can't afford tires as frequently as others.

Thanks guys.