R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Brake tightness (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/381248-brake-tightness.html)

The fisherman 03-18-2010 02:45 PM

Brake tightness

How tight do you guys run your brakes,meaning should the 2 plates on each side be tight (losi 2.0)front and back.Or should they be loose just slightly.Is this more of a personel preference so when you let off throttle it will slow quicker.Say for a turn with less drift(tighter) or will this affect the strain on your motor,causing it to run hotter and burn more fuel.Just wondering what you prefer,thanks in advance.

Charles Godwin 03-18-2010 02:52 PM

I set them up so there is movement between the pads and disc. Say about 1mm ish. Then set the radio up and set the linkages/servo set-up so that i only have to touch the brake a little (on the radio) a little bit and it starts to 'bind'. Don't like drag brake as it messes with the car in flight..

Jon Moore 03-18-2010 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by The fisherman (Post 7154933)
How tight do you guys run your brakes,meaning should the 2 plates on each side be tight (losi 2.0)front and back.Or should they be loose just slightly.Is this more of a personel preference so when you let off throttle it will slow quicker.Say for a turn with less drift(tighter) or will this affect the strain on your motor,causing it to run hotter and burn more fuel.Just wondering what you prefer,thanks in advance.

I run mine as close as possible without touching. I also use springs, which I say is a must! Some opinions differ, but it's cheap insurance.

To set them up, I take out the center diff, tighten the pads until I can capture the disc. Then back off slightly until the disc just falls out. Done.

This allows braking to start when you barely breathe on the trigger, then I adjust how much pressure I want with the EPA.

The fisherman 03-18-2010 06:04 PM

Thanks for your input guys.I think i had them too tight mainly in the back now when i'm off throttle it rolls a little better,before it would almost come to a halt,they sure don't give you much room to get to that back top nut.All the diffs are my next project after the 4 shoe clutch goes in.But the car seems good enough to race this sunday for now.You guys are great,I don't know what i would do without this site.

lobie 03-18-2010 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by The fisherman (Post 7154933)

Read the manual. It says 7.8 mm between the bolt and mount. I just got done resetting mine.