Wiki Posts
Search

How much Track Time Is Too Much For The Nitro Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default How much Track Time Is Too Much For The Nitro Vehicle

I just ran at silverstate and I entered 2 classes for each vehicle truggy and buggy. I wanted more track time and I sure did get it. I had a few issues with the buggy, the truggy held up fine. So I was wondering what you guys think about the limit that a nitro vehicle can handle as far as run time. There was the usual Dirt schedule, 2 - 7 min practice heats, 3 - 7 min quals and then mains. So I ended up running double that as I entered each nitro car in 2 classes. My question is should they handle this abuse or is this too much to ask? I do know that I felt like I was always on the drivers stand, it was nice
Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You are so much more experienced than me but here is my thoughts on this based on my own experience.

In between normal club racing we clean and inspect the whole car. Usually about 4 hours worth of work before running again.

It is very rear that we will break if the proper maintenance was done.

On the flip side there have been times where there was no cleaning and no maintenance and usually we will break and have to fix something in between qualifiers.

So if you break it down. Its like you ran two club races everyday on each vehicle with little maintenance as you were to busy to do a half break down on each kit.

I am going to assume you didnt do your normal cleaning and checking after each and every day as well.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have work on them way less than anyone else i have ever talked to and no one ever believes that i have never had a DNF. they take way more abuse than everyone wants to think. IMO the more you work on them the more they will break or need parts. taking screws in and out of plastic just weakens it. i see people go threw their buggy or truggy every week before a race and 9 times out of 10 something falls off or breaks at some point during the weekend. all i do really is take the electronics off and plug up all the holes to the engine and clean it, spray it down with WD-40 let sit for a couple of mine and then spray off with air. works every time. there is a guy that constantly works on his and he hardly ever finishes and he usually doesnt finish a heat race. i change oils every 3 races and i have been running my used buggy for over a year now with only two things breaking one arm (the shock screw broke the arm) and one rear diff went out (my fault for forgetting to put the sims back in it). after a year of racing thats not bad.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Tech Lord

I would run them hard and look them over, tighten any screws, blow them offf and thats about it, unless there was something obvious like a broken shock tower.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Just keep it clean between race days. By cleaning it well, you will notice things that may have worn, cracked or come loose. No need to rip it apart after every weekend. I usually tear down and re-build diffs and shocks and check bearings after about each gallon. Last week I burned off a gallon of fuel and a set of tires in one practice session, everything held together just fine.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Rookie

your maintenance should be done before you get to the track. saying that, as long as you give yourself time to blow you car off and give it a look over you should be fine. plus having a good buddy at the track you trust can help if you break something. My pit man will normally have my car almost done by the time im done turn mashalling ( if for some reason i broke during the race). other than that drive until you start seeing double. Some guys take a hour to change a diff. while others take 10 minutes.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
i have work on them way less than anyone else i have ever talked to and no one ever believes that i have never had a DNF. they take way more abuse than everyone wants to think. IMO the more you work on them the more they will break or need parts. taking screws in and out of plastic just weakens it. i see people go threw their buggy or truggy every week before a race and 9 times out of 10 something falls off or breaks at some point during the weekend. all i do really is take the electronics off and plug up all the holes to the engine and clean it, spray it down with WD-40 let sit for a couple of mine and then spray off with air. works every time. there is a guy that constantly works on his and he hardly ever finishes and he usually doesnt finish a heat race. i change oils every 3 races and i have been running my used buggy for over a year now with only two things breaking one arm (the shock screw broke the arm) and one rear diff went out (my fault for forgetting to put the sims back in it). after a year of racing thats not bad.
+1, more you mess with it, the weaker it gets, if its not broke dont fix it
Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The cars will hold up fine if you take proper care of them, the question is how much scrambleing around are you willing to put up with.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did dreaux start this thread? J/K Frank.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by l3asher
that was funny maybe franks wrenching with him??
Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I clean and check every bearing on the truck, I check the hinge pins, ball ends, and make sure nothing is binding, I change my rear diff after the qualifiers and and after a main, just my preference because I dont think 2k diff oil holds up that good.I clean my brakes. Make sure nothing bent. Im done.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by l3asher
OHHH good one>>>

Ya but it would have to include underwater adventures...

Last edited by Frank L; 03-18-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Frankie, if your going to run all those heats and mains you need a new buggy and a truggy so you can have 2 bugs and 2 trugs and u need a crew chief and 4 more of those powerhouse modded speeds u run!!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

every time i turned around Frank was on the driver's stand...haha
Old 03-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

ya let me tell you my feet heart from all the running around
let me tell you him running 5 class and me running 3 class
had us running are buts off but what a time and a fresh
buggy or truggy would have been nice that will happen
next time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.