R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Out of the maintstream truggies I would choose the mugen or the xray simple because you don't need any upgraded parts out of the box.
Afterwards I would choose the losi. I used to be hardcore losi but after the slop and blown ring and pinions i've moved to mugen and haven't looked back. You will probably have to order most of your mugen parts.

I'm amazed at how well the DBT is racing considering it's the best initial value. I considered getting one but, after reading 100's of posts in the thread it seems it requires a few upgrades to be solid and that puts it around the same price of the mugen.
You can't go wrong with the ST-RR, RC8T or the Tamiya.

Choose which ever you have the money for all are easily capable.
Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #32
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It sounds like you are not in a hurry to make your decision-go to a few races and ask to drive a few of them. Explain that you are in the market for a new truck and would like to see which one suits your driving style better. Donr go balls out all around the track but stuff in into some turns and see how it rotates, take a couple jumps and see how it flies. Also check on parts support, it is a huge bonus if someone at your track races the same truck just for the parts convenience. I drive a losi, switched from a kyosho (hope you like building diffs) and greatly improved my local rankings. Most I know that drove x-ray have switched because of the local parts support. Have not seen many D8T's run so I can't comment.
Most in my area run Losi or Mugen it's about 50/50, both are exceptional trucks and are a huge step up from the CEN tank.
shady3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mugen 6T all teh way!
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One thing I will add and this is my opinion

everyone always say get this and get that (me too) but for a new guy just getting into 8fff scale, I would strongly suggest buying something that you can get instant support for. Most LHS support Losi, AE. Tho Im not an AE fan the CE is a good truck. Im a Losi fanboy, YES I AM.

But the point is with the instant support you will be able to get most of your questions answered and parts when you need them. It makes learning about the the truck and the hobby that much more enjoyable.

HB XRAY MUGEN are great trucks but you will have order most or all of your parts and wait for them.
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #35

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I love my 8ight T 2.0 RR, with a few good upgrades it is great. And really, it's like the more slop the better. Don't know why, but hey, that's what it is. One of the big reasons I picked the Losi is because of local parts support and how easy it is to drive. Plus, it is a great handling truck. For my next truggy, if I were to go with a truck that wasn't losi, I would go with a Mugen or the New Z01T.
Muggydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #36
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got my Mugen in November and got all kind of parts for it! I crash at Bumps and Jumps with a Kyosho head on on the straightaway! Broke the front swaybar brace and had a small crack on the lower arm. Raced at Motorama. Did alota tumbling!! Didn't break not one part. No point in needing parts if your car doesn't break!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #37

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Another thing about the losi, it's as tough as nails. I have yet to break a part on it, and it took a real beating at some of the blown out tracks we had at the end of the summer last year. As for the steering, eaxeactly what Geejay said. get some good servos (JR 9100T, Hitec 7955) and set you endpoints so the tires don't rub the arms. Then you're all set.
Muggydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
I dunno about that. With the Losi, it's once the parts "wear out" that the vehicle handles best. Once the parts are at the point where people who are used to other manufacturers would consider them worn out and in need of replacement, they pretty much stay at that stage and you can put the truck anywhere on the track with ease.

The Losi feels loose for sure, but loose is fast. Nothing rotates in the corners like a Losi.
the truggies do handle good but i do not like how they handle, it seems to have front end push, thats all driver preference. i was just saying how i like one over the other. its all driver preference and setup IMO.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
Mugen 6T all teh way!
paul are you switching to Mugen??
Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
paul are you switching to Mugen??
Where have you been?
Yes, already have switched & will be racing them this weekend at Pineland R/C
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Quote:
Where have you been?
Yes, already have switched & will be racing them this weekend at Pineland R/C
i have everything up on ebay now. i need an engine and a buggy you want to give me a Mugen hahaha jk
but good luck at Pineland, are you going to Loganville or dalton on the 27th?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
i have everything up on ebay now. i need an engine and a buggy you want to give me a Mugen hahaha jk
but good luck at Pineland, are you going to Loganville or dalton on the 27th?
I know Pineland will be awesome, it makes a 5 hour round trip for me, but man o man its looking incredible, very exciting to race on, Jon has really worked hard to make it very nice.
Probably Loganville next weekend, I SO want to run at Dalton, but that big of a race (GCS) will make for a very, very long day, which couple that with my 80 hour work week and cranking up racemugen.com (Our initial kit order sold out before it hit the ground ) and my initial Mugen large parts PO is about 12 pages of excel spreadsheet , and I think Loganville will probably be where I will manage to race at next weekend.
I have got to run at Dalton soon, I finally met Ed and his son and friends at the PNBIII, good people there, and I have heard a TON of good things about the track as well.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
I know Pineland will be awesome, it makes a 5 hour round trip for me, but man o man its looking incredible, very exciting to race on, Jon has really worked hard to make it very nice.
Probably Loganville next weekend, I SO want to run at Dalton, but that big of a race (GCS) will make for a very, very long day, which couple that with my 80 hour work week and cranking up racemugen.com (Our initial kit order sold out before it hit the ground ) and my initial Mugen large parts PO is about 12 pages of excel spreadsheet , and I think Loganville will probably be where I will manage to race at next weekend.
I have got to run at Dalton soon, I finally met Ed and his son and friends at the PNBIII, good people there, and I have heard a TON of good things about the track as well.
Dalton is amazing i wish i could make it but i dont even have anything to run right now so it would be a wasted trip for just my dad to race. we will be at loganville for the buggy money race on the 27th. ill be watching and he will be racing lol. you running buggy or truggy now? i wish i could afford a Mugen but it looks like ill be going with D8 until later this summer when i can get more money to buy a better kit.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFcuddy View Post
I bought a Losi, I say you should too. I have always had good luck with their stuff. I have had bad luck with HPI. That has been my experience. The difference between the RTR and the 2.0 race roller is the chassis, shock towers and shock caps. You would want to replace the RTR servos with something better but other than that, the value is unbelievable. The Losi 454 is a bit of a nitro hog but it gets it done. I am thinking about getting a Losi RTR buggy.
I just picked up the 2.0 RTR buggy too. It's just as awesome as the 8T 2.0 RTR.

I agree with replacing the servos. I've upgraded as things broke or as I get better with my driving skills and understanding of how things work.
305M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With the Losi $150 rebate program going for the next month, the decision is easy. I know I ordered one!
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote