Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie with a problem

Sup guys, im marcus. Ima newbie to owning these but ive driven em forever. I just found a duratrax invader and another car on craigslist. I dont know what the other one is but it DID run. So i brought it home, started it up. Drove it in my backyard (dirt track) and it died. Cant get it started back up. And the invader i have is all torn apart but i was throwing stuff together last night. Would the crystal in the am reciever stop a car from running?I cant post pics...
Old 03-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yes, crystals will definitely create a problem for you. Crystals can go bad but you have to make sure you have th RX and TX in the right places and that they are the same frequency. Assuming all of that is okay, we are going to need more info. Exactly what happened with the car stopped working?

Is the other car nitro or electric? Give us more detailed info so we can try to help.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok. So i bought two yesterday. One was an incomplete evader with a bad crystal. The other one started right up. So i came home to drive the running one, rode for about a minute and then it just died. And now it wont start back up again, ive been messing with the high speed needle. I even poured gas directly into the carb. But it wont fire. Has good compression too. Please help asap
Old 03-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Check your glow plug and make sure your ignitor has juice.

Is the fuel fresh?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Tech Rookie

all of the glow plugs glowed bright orange. And the fuel was running perfect before. I went out there and it started up but died immediately. I pulled the fuel line out of the carb and pulled the pull starter and no fuel came out. Then i placed my finger over the exhaust choke thing and pulled the pull starter, gas began to come out. So i primed the engine a little and it fired up, but only for a little bit. So its obviously not getting gas. It looks like i have enough gas.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DarthEVADER
all of the glow plugs glowed bright orange. And the fuel was running perfect before. I went out there and it started up but died immediately. I pulled the fuel line out of the carb and pulled the pull starter and no fuel came out. Then i placed my finger over the exhaust choke thing and pulled the pull starter, gas began to come out. So i primed the engine a little and it fired up, but only for a little bit. So its obviously not getting gas. It looks like i have enough gas.
too much gas can cut an engine out as well. I'd say put all the needles back to factory settings, maybe new fuel line and glow plug as well, and tune from there. What engine is it?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

Another thing you should check is the insides of your engine, carb and pipe... although rare, sometimes dirt from inside any of these can make a real mess, like kill your glow plugs or clog your tank and fuel lines... main thing when buying a used car is to take it all apart and check each and every corner to make sure that all is in working order...

I know it sounds tough, but it's the only way you can get these things to work correctly and not be a pain
Old 03-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you have a new glow plug maybe try it. When a glow plug is starting to die it car start the car but then die soon after even if the plug is glowing. Put you needles back to factory settings. If I remember correctly the Evader needle settings are flush, but you may what to double check that. Make sure you carbs idle gap is about 1mm. Make sure there is no holes in the fuel line. If there is a hole in the fuel pressure line that can cause the problems you describe. If you are still having a problem after this you come back and we can go over the more complicated things.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by CaribbeanPirate
Another thing you should check is the insides of your engine, carb and pipe... although rare, sometimes dirt from inside any of these can make a real mess, like kill your glow plugs or clog your tank and fuel lines... main thing when buying a used car is to take it all apart and check each and every corner to make sure that all is in working order...

I know it sounds tough, but it's the only way you can get these things to work correctly and not be a pain
i hear there is a good cream for engines
Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lacremadesammy
i hear there is a good cream for engines
Can always get the voodo thing going.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Check your exhaust pressure line for leaks. Also check you exhaust header seal. You may not have enough pressure from the exhaust system. Make sure the fuel tubing didn't spit at the nipple.

Will the engine stay running if you work the throttle as soon as it starts?

Does the clutch bell spin freely at rest?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Tech Rookie

well im not a newb to engines as im a honda/acura mechanic. But if i dissassemble it all can i clean it with carb cleaner? or just use compressed air? its weird that it started up and died about 5 seconds later. I was messing with the carb settings on this bike all day. THE BIKE THAT RUNS IS NOT THE EVADER!!
So new fuel lines and glow plugs?
Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Rookie

anyone????
Old 03-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Rookie

whats a good replacement motor for an xtm .18 and a dtx .18?