R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Wink Need help deciding whether to bump up or not.

I have been racing rc cars for about a year now and am trying to decide whether to bump to expert or not. I am generally winning most all of the intermediate races i race, but am not quite as fast as the experts. I was also looking to get sponsored before i moved up. I have already been bumped in the Texas state series, but was thinking about bumping my self up in the pro series too. I think i could half way hang with the people in open. Just looking for what you guys think. All input is appreciated.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfman View Post
I have been racing rc cars for about a year now and am trying to decide whether to bump to expert or not. I am generally winning most all of the intermediate races i race, but am not quite as fast as the experts. I was also looking to get sponsored before i moved up. I have already been bumped in the Texas state series, but was thinking about bumping my self up in the pro series too. I think i could half way hang with the people in open. Just looking for what you guys think. All input is appreciated.
start running open and travel more, the further away you travel the faster guys get.
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

if nothing else you will find that bumping to a fster class will make you faster just make sure that you dont drive like a sportsman in that class you need to have patience and respect for those who are faster than you meaning if they can pass you let them then try and keep up without crashing them before you make a pass back on them if you cant keep up with them then with time you will
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you are no longer getting challenged, it is time to move up, you are only as fast as the people around you...regarding sponsors...you have good equipment do you really want to get sponsored by a new company with inferior equipment? and if you are good a decent manufacture will eventually pick you up. If I race a Ferrari would I take a sponsorship from Kia?
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

bump to expert, if you start running with fast guys, you will improve alot and will be faster than before even if you dont win races. also it will become very boring to run the same class for a while when you know there is no real competition. just my 2Cents
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewn_beef View Post
if nothing else you will find that bumping to a fster class will make you faster just make sure that you dont drive like a sportsman in that class you need to have patience and respect for those who are faster than you meaning if they can pass you let them then try and keep up without crashing them before you make a pass back on them if you cant keep up with them then with time you will
x2
Old 03-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Tech Master

bump sandbagger!!!! come on up and race with the rest of us.....

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
If you are no longer getting challenged, it is time to move up, you are only as fast as the people around you...regarding sponsors...you have good equipment do you really want to get sponsored by a new company with inferior equipment? and if you are good a decent manufacture will eventually pick you up. If I race a Ferrari would I take a sponsorship from Kia?
I meant like taking a sponsorship from a tire company or something like that.

By the way thanks for all the input. Also do i have just as good of a chance to get sponsored by running expert instead of intermediate?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Haha +2 on the sandbagging!!!
I compared your Sportsman buggy times at the Icebreaker race to the Expert class. You might of made the Expert Buggy A-main and for sure the Expert Buggy B-main. So I hope that answers it for ya.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfman View Post
I meant like taking a sponsorship from a tire company or something like that.

By the way thanks for all the input. Also do i have just as good of a chance to get sponsored by running expert instead of intermediate?
More of a chance by running expert
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to CJ Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
More of a chance by running expert
Sponsorships will come to you, moving up to expert isn't going make you get sponsored. Winning and being an approachable person will get you sponsored. I do recommend running Expert because as soon as you move up, you will get faster week after week. Just make sure to let the faster people go by and then try to follow them for as long as possible.
CJ Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

I have just recently tried running the expert class during club racing. When I am zoned in, I can do pretty well in the sportsman class. I would say that the thing that holds me up the most was traffic. Trying to get around slower cars that keep darting left and right is hairy scary. Sometimes they hold their line pretty well but are much slower. I ended up spending quite a bit of time behind traffic. Recently I have raced expert a couple of times and the biggest difference is that I lose allot less time due to traffic.

Since I am the slower traffic, I just go wide on a corner let the faster guy go by and then try to stay with him. I find that the time I lose by going wide is fractional compared to all the time I am behind slower traffic. For this reason alone your lap times will improve. Not to mention that it is nice to have a faster car ahead of you as a visual benchmark of what your car should be able to do. I tend to push it a little harder in the corners and she holds on for the most part. Eventually the excitement and my trigger finger gets the best of me and I have to let go.

The down side is that you may qualify for lower mains in expert which translate to a shorter main and less time behind the wheel. However, the time behind the wheel is higher quality.

Based on what I read, it seems to me that your ready for expert
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote