R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-28-2004, 09:27 PM   #121
Tech Addict

Aaron,

I posted in another thread (thanks for the answer) but I thought I'd post here to make it easier.

How does the Novak Brushless (5800) stack up to brushed motors. I guess I'd like to know what turn brushed motor is roughly the equivalent of the brushless.

I ran the motor way overgeared (8.5 final drive) in my truck (after reading your other post this morning I'll change that) and it didn't feel that great. I guess thats to be expected. If I was running this gearing would the motor rev out to full potential.

Luckily I didn't run it for long and it didn't get hot at all.

Thanks for your time.
Andrew_XXXs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:14 PM   #122
Tech Elite

Andrew - The 5800 is supposed to be the brushless equivalent of a brushed stock motor..but everyone that I've heard from who has run it says it has waaay too much torque to make it fair.

You saw my post on the other thread about Novak's gearing advice? That should get you in the ballpark, and hopefully keep the motor a little cooler.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Dylan - The RTR will be more than adequate for bashing, and the MFE isn't really necessary for thrashing around in your backyard.

Either way, remember to have fun!

stu - I have seen people run Monsters in truck and do pretty well with them..just remember to gear down at least two teeth from where you run your P2K2.

I sat down with a calculator one day and found that what I gear my XXX-T, would be 19/84 in a T4..if your track is fast and flowing, give that a try! If there's a lot of corners and jumps, then 19/87 would be a better choice.

I run 4505's with the stock Pro springs (red on +, green on -) in all my stock motors.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:39 PM   #123
Tech Apprentice

Aaron, what kind of runtime can I expect on a stock RTR XXX-T or T4 with these cells? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LE2653&P=1

And can you recommend some good cells for no more than $30 a piece? I'm just bashing, so I don't need anything fancy.

And do you know, by any chance, the top speed of a stock RTR XXX-T?
dylan-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 04:00 PM   #124
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
Andrew - The 5800 is supposed to be the brushless equivalent of a brushed stock motor..but everyone that I've heard from who has run it says it has waaay too much torque to make it fair.
Ahhh yeah. I think they may want to revise their description a little then. I geared it correctly and it wheelstands all over the place. As well as being quick enough in a straight line. Has about the same amount of speed as my 13X2 and heaps more torque.

I thought it the 4700 (4300 ??) was supposed to be the stock motor and the 5800 was the mod version with a stock setting...?
Andrew_XXXs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #125
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Chris W. - My plans to return to A-main are when the Canby outdoor races start, there will be a track rebuild on Sat May 8! I also run on my backyard track pretty much every day its sunny!! But ya never know, you might see me at the indoor track one of these next few fridays....

Steve W. - I have a pretty busy race schedule for the next few months, but I told Richard (I think he will be race director) that I would try to race at Eugene at least a couple times, it just depends on what else is scheduled...Canby will pretty much be my home track this summer though, as they will be running an alternating Saturday schedule with CRA/Aero.

Aaron W.- The Shootout would be sweet, what about the RC PRO series race down there? I'm confused do you know if it is at Hot Rod or the Dirt? My mom lives in LA area, I definitely would like to come down there sometime this summer and race at the Dirt and/or Lake Perris!! err, I mean visit my mother..... I'll get ahold of you if I do.
Tall Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:42 PM   #126
Tech Elite

Dylan - Those packs would be good for probably 8 minutes or so..maybe a little more. That's using a stock motor of course. They're probably close to the best sport packs you can get, especially as far as run-time goes.

I have no idea how fast the stock RTR trucks go..my GUESS would be around 20 MPH.

Andrew - You are right..the 4300 is the "stock" motor, and the 5800 is the mod motor. I have heard a lot of good things about the 5800, especially in a XXX-4 or XXX-S.

Tony - There is an R/C Pro race at KZ in Sun Valley, and one at Hemet.

Depending on what time the two tracks decide to race on Saturday, we might be able to get a double-header in. Let me know when you're coming down!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:20 AM   #127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

Aaron,

in the rear of the xxx-t, how would a 2-A link feel compared to a 3-B?

Thanks!
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:57 AM   #128
Tech Elite

Ya know dude, I don't have the greatest answer for that..

So I will add that to my list of things to ask Adam this weekend, and let you know ASAP.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #129
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

Mafiaracers- I know its different on the xxxnt than the xxxt, but i run 2B camber in the rear, and it makes the truck more stable, but it will not carve high speed tracks well. Its more of a point and shoot type setup, with lots of turn in and low speed turning.
Nothing beats trying it for yourself to see how it works...if you have time to go to the track, then try it, or even at club races that may not mean as much as big races...its all about being comfortable with the setup, so that you can just drive the track, and not fight the truck.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:43 PM   #130
Tech Elite

mafia - From Chad, an employee and racer for Trinity:

3-B will feel stiffer than 2-A, but the rear of the car or truck will dump over going through the corner.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #131
Tech Elite

by "dump" you mean...roll?
Old 04-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #132
Tech Elite

Yes, but to the point where it kills momentum. Especially on high speed tracks with good traction, the outside rear of the car will roll excessively, looking like the truck is "dumping" over onto that corner.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:37 AM   #133
Tech Elite

Default Weekly Race Reports

Aaron,

I went back to my favorite setup and made it a bit gooder than it already was.

Front:
.200" internal
2"blue
spindle down
2-B w/1

Rear:
no limiter, unscrew 3 turns
yellow
hub middle
3 degrees
3-B

NOTE: I'm running the BK XXX buggy tower in the truck. I took the lower shock mounts off the arm and am now mounting the shock directly onto the arm...so, I'm mounted on the inner of the two screw holes. This location is about the same angle of a 3-middle with the standard tower. By running the buggy tower, you lowe the CG of the rear end as a whole. The tower is about a half inch shorter and the shocks are mounted lower, so everything lowers as a whole. The car feels VERY good like this.

Qualified 6th...finished 3rd. A good day in my opinion. Believe you me, the car felt SO good, that I honestly don't want to change the setup if you can believe that!

New gearing ratio discovered....90-18=12.15...this ratio is very good times!

New PMR's are sweet. Still breaking them in, but felt great all night long.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2004, 09:48 AM   #134
Tech Elite

Haha wow..the buggy tower experiment is interesting!

Glad to hear everything worked out good.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:00 PM   #135
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedydave Send a message via Yahoo to speedydave

Hey mafia, how are you mounting the body with that tower?
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote