R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-26-2004, 09:40 AM   #106
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

OK, better question. What class was the most competitive at the Reedy Truck Race,
a) Open Stock Truck
b) Mod Truck
c) Gas Truck
d) Tiffany

I think the Tiffany class probably had the most entries...lots of factory guys too
Tall Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #107
Tech Elite

mafia - thanks for the kind words!

Staying with the same setup allows you to focus on driving..it's a lot easier on your mind. Tires are 90% of the game anyway, so if you get those right, you'll be fine.

Tony - Tiffany was definitely the most competitive class..but after that, I think Open Mod Truck was the closest; a couple different guys won rounds and mains. Stock truck was all Shaun and I, and I TQ'd all four rounds and won gas truck by almost two laps..so that wasn't close

I get to run Factory this year..should be interesting!
Old 04-26-2004, 06:11 PM   #108
Tech Elite

would you say tires are 90% on an 1/8 scale?? I wouldn't personally.. I've ran a bad setup with good tires and no go.. fish tailing all over the place.. changed the setup.. bam.. and I ran worn out tires with the same setup and it was handling reasonably well..

but, for other vehicles I can see the 90% thing.. like electric and gas truck especially
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:13 PM   #109
Tech Elite

My opinion on 1/8th scale is this; because 4wd and ridiculous power have taken driving out of the equation, your equipment must be spot-on to be competitive.

That said, they're usually 2 or 3 different 8th scale tires that work at any given track. And a setup that works one place certainly cannot be that far off at another, as long as your car is working properly.

In electric and gas truck, an ill-handling setup can be made up for with good tire and foam selection, and a little bit of driving.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:14 AM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

I feel kind of wierd....I havn't asked you a question in like...5 minutes. Don't worry I'm brewing one up for you.
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:29 AM   #111
Tech Apprentice

I'm trying to decide between an RTR truck or a kit and I've got some questions for you Aaron:

Can you build a comparable kit to the RTR car for less money than you'd pay for the RTR? Also, what goes into building a kit? Can anyone do it? Is it just basically tightening some nuts and connecting some wires? How difficult is the wiring and electronics to set up? Do you have to solder things together? Are there any special tools, materials, or equipment required?
dylan-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #112
Tech Elite

I'm not aaron.. but, I thought I'd try to help..

If you have any existing equipment.. ie: radio electronics.. you may be better off buying a kit.. it is very valuable knowledge you obtain by assembling your own kit. The instruction manuals today are extremely easy to follow and helpful..

It does sound like you're concerned about cost (like everyone) so, I would suggest RTR.. the RTR kits have been doing really well as far as giving a good starting package.. then you can pick and choose upgrades you'd like to add.. The only drawback is if you break it you may not know how to fix it without the assembly knowledge.. but most cars are simple and there is always someone to help..

what kind of RTR kits have you been looking at? There is differences in them.. maybe if you post that it would help in someone giving you advice on the type of car that suits your needs... whether it's bashing or racing
Old 04-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #113
Tech Elite

BTW... sorry aaron..
Old 04-28-2004, 11:00 AM   #114
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the advice warpig. I have no existing equipment and only a basic knowledge of how things work and what they do in RC. The two kits I've narrowed it down between are the XXX-T and RC10T4. I'm leaning towards the T4 becuase I've heard it's nearly bulletproof. And yes, money is an issue. I'd say no more than $450 for everything, including 3 batts and a charger.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #115
Tech Elite

Sorry for what? It's all good piggy!

Mafia - I'll be here!

dylan - I'm gonna re-state what warpig did, in a much longer and more boring version

RTR's will be cheaper than buying the kit and piecing together the same package off the shelves.

Good kits (especially those offered by well-known companies like Team Losi, Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, etc.) require very little hand-fitting, and usually go right together. A good set of tools (MIP and Losi make great allen wrenches) are essential to building any kit. Pliers, allen wrenches, and small open-ended wrenches are really all you need to build a kit (although a 4-40 tap from a tool store will help you greatly).

I don't have much experience building any kits other than Losi vehicles, but their manuals guide you through the whole project step by step. The electronics come with their own manuals that help you set them up, and there really isn't any complicated wiring to be done (although you will have to solder).

Ready-to-run kits (like the RTR XXX-T) come with all of the building, soldering, and setup done, and leave you with only a few things to do (which are outlined in directions included with the kit). Usually, they include manuals to help you fix things, but you won't have the experience of building the kit.

Side note: the T4 is far from bulletproof; I am actually quite disappointed with the design of the truck, as I have seen more broken T4's in the short time they've been out, than XXX-T's since that truck debuted years ago.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:10 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

Aaron,

Here's the deal. I bought 3 new PMR's they should be here tomorrow. I am all pro at soldering so I'm not worried there. If you were in my position...how exactly do you take care of your packs in the crutial first couple of charges? I hope to use them at this Fridays club race.

Thanks!
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:30 PM   #117
Tech Elite

Ni-MH's are pretty good about being ready to go from the box..if you would like, peak them once (keeping them as cool as possible), and then tray them down to 5.4 volts...do this as soon as you can tomorrow.

Other than that, just punch it! It's not uncommon to see team guys show up with new batteries to big races without running them..sometimes, a Ni-MH pack's best five runs are the first five.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:18 PM   #118
Tech Apprentice

Aaron,

I plan on doing backyard bashing with my truck like I mentioned earlier, not racing. Do you think it would be worth my while to spend a little more cash and get the MF edition XXX-T or would the standard RTR kit be fine? Oh, and do you know the top speed for the stock RTR XXX-T? Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:10 PM   #119
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Aaron, since your a trinity guy this will be right up your alley. I have a t4 and mostly run stock. I am running p2k2's now and was thinking of getting two new motors for summer. My ? is are monsters good in trucks or just touring cars and buggies. If so what brushes, springs, and gearing should I go with. I run 87/19 or 20 with the p2k2's now.

Hobby Pro USA, Maclan, Casterracingparts , RADIOPOST, Vp-Pro USA
stu541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:11 PM   #120
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

tall can, with albany gone are you going to travel to Eugene?

Hobby Pro USA, Maclan, Casterracingparts , RADIOPOST, Vp-Pro USA
stu541 is offline   Reply With Quote