R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-20-2004, 03:28 PM   #61
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedydave Send a message via Yahoo to speedydave

What kind of track do you run on? I've seen people run with TR's and be fine (hell, I run an MT12!), but a lot of it is throttle control and the track. You could go out on a practice day and try them both, and pick which one you feel more comfortable with. Couldn't hurt anything.
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:49 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

Aaron,

What controller settings do you run for your truck? I run an MX3...I personally think that I've got it down pretty good. The car drives straight and accelerated just fine...it turns the same amount in each direction. Could you give me some tips for setting the controller for stock racing?

Thanks!
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:02 PM   #63
Tech Elite

dibs - Just like modified electric racing, only the top few percent of the fastest drivers in the world can use all the power available on the market today; I would stay with the CV, as you will be able to tune it more aggressively for better gas mileage, and still have a very driveable powerband.

I've never seen Frosty run gas truck..I know Matt was running the green-spring front shocks on his gas truck, but I've never tried it. The tracks you race on are much different than what we have here, so you might like it. The most important part of finding a setup that works (especially in gas truck) is being able to drive the whole race at a comfortable pace, with no mistakes.

mafia - I set all the cool little features at zero..there's really no reason to use exponential or anything else..I just make sure my EPA's are set right, and my steering trim is centered.

Throttle trim is the only adjustment I use, and I use it to set my drag brake. For mod truck, I almost always use a slight amount of drag brake to help my truck settle in the corners. In stock truck, however, I turn the throttle trim up until the truck creeps forward, and the only way to keep the truck still is to hold the brake on. In stock truck, corner speed is very important, and I used this technique to TQ the Shootout and Reedy Truck Race last year
Old 04-21-2004, 06:23 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

well A Dub good thing i seen this i was going to drop in that TR today. lol

but i will do just what you say and run the cv into the ground.

and you are right the tracks here in tx and Oklahoma are not the same as you guys run in Cal. and i will try the green springs.

and by moving the front bottom shocks in will it give me more body roll?

and what hole on the lower arm do you run the shock hole in?

and A DUB i know you don't set your expo. lol but some of us need some help. you have been drive for losi. what 8 years now. started when you was 9 or so and now you are what 17 or 18 now. so you don;t need expo.

again thanx for your help Dub. and good luck in Vegas.

dibs
Motorman007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:25 AM   #65
Tech Elite

also mafia

here is what you should start off with on your expo. b.c you are not Dub.

start at about 50 expo on the gas.
and 30 or so on the steering.

and it is to slow move it up 5 to 10 clicks at a time till you find the right fit for you.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:41 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Motorman-

the MX3 doesn't have "expo" the closest thing I have to it is "arc" that adjusts the sensitivity of the throttle and steering. When the track is slick, I run negative throttle arc because it makes the initial response smoother and less wheel spin....on the track I'm on now, I run posative throttle arc (about +18) and it gives a little more punchy feel. Steering arc is always set at 0....I like it very linear.

Aaron,

A lot of guys at my track were also telling me that I should start letting the car roll a little...something like it will help keep the corner speed up a bit and the car won't be so touchy right off the throttle. Shaun Dunlap even told me to do that, he is usually my Q&A guy at my Home track, but he's currently out of the game and hasn't been to the track in a while so....
Old 04-21-2004, 06:59 AM   #67
Tech Elite

I have a hard time believing in "arc" or "expo", because it tricks your brain..sure, the first half of the servo movement is slower, but then the second half of the movement is faster.

If you can drive it at zero, then leave it at zero..you'll eventually want to go back to that when your car control abilities increase anyway.

Dibs - Moving the front shock in on the arm will give you more body roll and should help the truck pivot in low-speed corners. I use the middle hole on the front arm and the inside in the rear.

mafia - Say hi to the Dunlap family for me next time you get a chance..Shaun was the only one to beat me at the Reedy Truck Race last year in stock truck..and Tiffany rubbed some good luck onto my gas truck after driving it for about a half hour..haha.

(Just wish she would gotten ahold of my mod truck too..ouch).
Old 04-21-2004, 07:38 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Dub i will set them all back to 0 this weekend and i see if i can hang.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:20 PM   #69
Tech Elite

After running expo it'll take some time to get used to it again.

None of the big-name pros run Expo, and I honestly think it's because it tricks your brain. It's harder to drive with any precision.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:58 PM   #70
Tech Elite

What exactly is EXPO? I understand ARC, is expo similar?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:49 PM   #71
Tech Elite

It's the same thing..expo is short for exponential.

They call it exponential because the graph of the servo travel in relation to radio input is an exponential function.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:40 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
Make sure you take good care of your batteries, today's stock motors actually pull quite a bit of amp draw. I charge at 4 amps and peak at 6 for club races in stock, charge and peak at 7 for big races.
Aaron: Just curious, do you always charge at 4 amps then just adjust your peak charging depending on the kit/motor or kind of racing conditions you might be competing in? What charging adjustments do you make (if any) for mod-racing? Many Thanks!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:42 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Default Battery

Here is text from a earlie post........

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Waldron

The "falling off" at the end of the race you speak of will only get worse as the comm gets smaller. Make sure you take good care of your batteries, today's stock motors actually pull quite a bit of amp draw. I charge at 4 amps and peak at 6 for club races in stock, charge and peak at 7 for big races.

[/B]

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!
RC Scoring Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Stock racing is all about battery power..the higher amp rate you charge, the more power you will have, but the shorter the life of the battery will be. Charging at 4 is easy on the packs, and peaking at 6 will "shock" the pack into having punch. At big races, I could care less about battery life..I want power! So I will beat my packs up and charge at 7.

In mod, punch isn't as big of a deal..if you need more power, you just drop in a faster motor (my cars wheelie almost uncontrollably..the last thing I need is more power!). My dad likes to charge and peak at 5 amps, but 4 amps is perfectly ok.

I don't change my charging parameters according to anything other than the importance of the event. There are many other ways to adapt to track conditions.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:10 PM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

RC Scoring Pro: Thanks but if you look above my post you will notice I quoted Aaron as well. In his post it seems Aaron is specifically addressing charging his batteries for stock racing. I just wonder if some factory guys change their charging habbits with regards to the different kits, motors, and conditions they race in. I was always under the impression that after you build a pack and start charging it, it's best to normally keep the same and constant charging routine for it. So Aaron, if you have any tips, info, or comments on specific battery maintenance, that would be great!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote