R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-23-2004, 03:36 AM   #436
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hi there Aaron,
just afew quick questions, have you used new losi wide-body taper pins front tyres, 7207r, 7207s, what would you recommend for hard packed surface, R or S,
I did see your BK1 setup for stock, you said would not recommend for Mod, what are the changes for Mod, Have you setups for BK2 Stock/Mod, What’s your opinion on X5 conversion, have you heard any feedback form Roar Mod Nats on X5, thanks for your time, luke.
dragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:43 AM   #437
Tech Elite

I ran the new molded Taper Pin fronts for the first time at Hot Rod this past week. It's awesome..the great predictable handling of the 4wd fronts we would cut down, but without the work! I would recommend dremeling or using good scissors to cut down the ribs along the tire about half of their height, but other than that, the tire is really good.

Silvers will give you more steering into the corner and less out, while reds will give you less steering into the corner, but more exit steering, and will release the corner easier than Silvers.

The X-5 looks like a pretty cool car, but parts support for the old XX-4 may hold it back. We will have to wait and see if they can get the car up to speed, I heard it did well at the ROAR Nationals.

I never ran my BK1 in mod; I would check the Losi site in the setup sheet section for a good starting point, and work your way from there. I had good luck with Matt Francis' setup as it was very stable and easy to drive, but needed something more on edge for stock racing.

I would start with this:

Front: 0 deg. toe-in, arms just above level, -.5 deg camber, outside on bellcranks, camber link 2-B with .030 under the ballstud.

Shocks: 25 wt. with 57's, orange springs, A spacer inside (.090) mounted inside on tower and arm,

Rear: stock toe-in, stock anti-squat, bones level, -1/2 deg. camber, steel dogbones, hubs middle, wing forward and bottom, camber link 2-A.

Shocks: 30 wt. with 56's, yellow springs, .050 limiters. Mounted 2 on tower, inside on arm

Battery: 1/8" back.

My BK2 setup (for smooth blue groove)

Front - 3 deg. toe-in, ride height arms level, -1 deg. camber, stock caster blocks, spindle down, inside hole on the bellcranks, short arms, camber link 2-A with one washer. One washer on both the spindle ballstud and the bellcrank ballstud. Trinity aluminum front pivot block.

Shocks: 35wt, 55's, green springs. Mounted inside in the tower, outside on the arm.

Rear: stock toe-in, stock anti-squat, bones leve, -.5 deg. camber, hubs middle, steel dogbones, wing forward and bottom, short arms. Camber link 1-B.

Shocks: 40wt, 54's, red springs, .060 limiters. Mounted inside on tower, outside on arm.

Battery: Forward

Body: stock BK2
Wing: A-8107 XXX V-wing with a 1/4 inch wicker strip.

Last edited by Aaron Waldron; 06-24-2004 at 12:10 AM.
Aaron Waldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:10 PM   #438
Tech Master

Hey whats up Aaron! Just so Paul doesnt get in trouble he ran the XXX-4, not the X-5.
Later,
JP
Old 06-23-2004, 03:23 PM   #439
Tech Regular

Default Which Ofna?

I'm looking into getting a OFNA buggy, but with all the models aviable, it's really confusing.

I'm looking for a Pro competition model.

For those who are runs AE, it's the Feactory Team kit I'm looking for.

On the website under 'PRO KITS"
I see:
HYPER 7 PCR PRO
OFNA 9.5 PRO
HYPER 7 PRO

Can anyone explain the differences between the 3. And what the World OFNA racers runs.

Thanks
Jasonchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:50 PM   #440
Tech Apprentice

The Violater is not legal in ROAR as it's too wide. I just read somewhere that it can be adjusted to ROAR specs at 320mm. It's 330mm stock. My step-dad runs the Violater and it's an awesome buggy. It's never given him any problems.

Differences between the Hyper 7 pro and PCR are:
Pro = shaft driven
PCR = shaft driven with 7075 aluminum center driveshafts

Pro = engine not included
PCR = Hyper .21 8 port non pull start, slide valve

Pro = front and rear planetary, center torsen differential
PCR = front and rear planetary, center 8 gear spider differential

Pro = 3.2" multi pin spike tires
PCR = 3.2" Ofna Fire thread tires

Pro = front and rear double wishbone suspension
PCR = front and rear double wishbone with pivot balls, new front upper arm with 17 to 35 degrees of adjustment

Pro = aluminum bell crank steering
PCR = bell crank linkage design with pro c-hub steering knuckles

PCR = radio tray constructed of graphite and re-engineered to hold new lay down style mounted servos resulting in cleaner look, better leverage and lower center of gravity

Pro = clear body
PCR = painted body

Pro = requires 2 channel radio with 2 servos, engine, misc items (fuel, bottle, etc.)
PCR = requires only the misc items - RTR

I have both of these specs posted right above my computer - been studying them for a while now. Saving up to get one. Hope this helps.
YBLegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:12 AM   #441
Tech Elite

JP - What's up Jimmy Series champ? Do you have AIM?

YBlegal - Thanks for the help on that one..great post!
Old 06-24-2004, 01:00 AM   #442
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to elvo

Aaron,

why did you put one washer on the spindle and one on the ballcrank? Those cancel each other out.
elvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:25 AM   #443
Tech Regular

YBLegal ,

Thanx for the side by side comparason, that helps alot. So it would mean that the PCR is the way to go right. do you know what the World Championship racer runs?

ps. sorry to post the question in this thread, I was meant to post it in the '1/8 buggy tread.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:09 AM   #444
Tech Apprentice

I'm going to go with the PCR. I think it just has more bang for the buck IMO.

Paul Coleman runs the PCR Pro with the new Picco P7 powerplant. He won the Bermuda Championships with this buggy a couple of weeks ago.

Adam Drake runs an Ofna Jammin 9.5 X-1.

Josh Wheeler runs the Hyper 7 Pro.

Mikael Palsson ran the Hyper 7 Pro as well. Mikael took 1st place in the Hyper Masters/Friendship Race in Sweden in May.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
ps. sorry to post the question in this thread, I was meant to post it in the '1/8 buggy tread.
If you would have put it over there I wouldn't have seen it. LOL

I've been over here trying to learn a thing or two from Aaron.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:37 AM   #445
Tech Initiate

Default CVD driveshafts for new tranny

Aaron here is my delimmea

I recently have gotten a few used b2k trannys and rear plates for my xxx-t MF.

I know that the cvd driveshafts will be to long to run the new tranny, but I really like the CVDs, and I do not want to buy a total new set of CVDs for my truck (cheap ass :P)

I know losi offers just the driveshaft part of the CVDs but do they or are they going to make a shorter version for the new MF2 truck?

I cannot seem to find this part anywhere _yet_ maybe im bad at searching or maybe in just slow

basically my question is has losi released the shorter part for the CVDs and what is the part number?

if they are not out yet are they in the works?

Thanks,
Kevin
kruthles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:53 AM   #446
Tech Elite

elvo - I believe it still changes the angle of the turnbuckle in relation to the bellcrank.

I got the setup from Adam and put it on my car..I don't ask questions!

Jasonchi - Hey..this forum is to get questions answered, it's all good!

YBLegal - Thanks for your help on that one!

kruthles - I haven't heard any plans to sell CVD's for the MF2. MIP might at a later date, but I don't think Losi will. Dogbones are the best in terms of handling and performance for the truck, and I think that is what Losi will stick with.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:55 AM   #447
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by YBLegal
I'm going to go with the PCR. I think it just has more bang for the buck IMO.
What do you know about this PBS model?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 AM   #448
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Waldron Jasonchi - Hey..this forum is to get questions answered, it's all good!

YBLegal - Thanks for your help on that one!
[/B]
COOL
Old 06-24-2004, 10:25 AM   #449
Tech Apprentice

The PCR is actually the PBS with a few upgrades. It's listed as the PBS PCR on the box (Paul Coleman Racing edition).

PBS = front and rear double wishbone suspension
PCR = front and rear double wishbone with pivot balls, new front upper arm with 17 to 35 degrees of adjustment

PBS = aluminum bell crank steering
PCR = bell crank linkage design with pro c-hub steering knuckles

PBS = original style radio tray
PCR = radio tray constructed of graphite and re-engineered to hold new lay down style mounted servos resulting in cleaner look, better leverage and lower center of gravity

Those upgrades for an average of $40 higher price tag for the PCR.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I keep jumping in on your thread Aaron.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:49 AM   #450
Tech Apprentice

Hyper 7 Pro = $450
PBS = $510
PCR = $550

Just for comparison. Still thinking about which one to go with.