R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #3976
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default starter box

Hello Aaron,

I would like to get your advice on which starter box I should purchase. I have a Lost 8T RTR and I'm getting ready to install an Axial 28 RR. I know about the Losi Starter Box but I've seen it first hand that the box doesn't have enough power to turn over a NovaRossi 21BF, I've also seen the horrible reviews from amainhobbies. I'm looking for a low maintenance, inexpensive, and doesn't require too much modications. With so many boxes to choose from I don't know which one to buy.

BTW Later on down the line I might be buying a Losi 8 Buggy. Any help, suggestions, or directions are appreciated. Thanks
r6ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #3977
Tech Elite

The Losi starter box is an awesome concept. Just the way that it converts back and forth is worth it!

The biggest problem, I think, is that you don't have to push down very hard for the flywheel to come in contact with the starter wheel. If you push down really hard, the starter box doesn't have time to spool up before it tries to crank the engine over. I haven't seen one of these boxes really lacking power.

With that said, I've had a couple different OFNA starter boxes in the past that worked great. I had the big blue one that I used for gas truck (before the Losi box) and then for buggy, and used the skinnier gray one for my 8IGHT-T. And I know that many people have had good luck with the purple Mugen box.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #3978
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just to throw my opinion in, (not that it's worth much ) I think the Kyosho box is a really good option for the money. I've had no issues with mine at all.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #3979
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

.03cents....the new mugen box (grey) with 2 sticks packs has enough power to rip your arm off

OS Speed Engines
Futaba
Panther Tires

CRCRC Raceway Webmaster
FullThrottle Raceway Webmaster
KForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #3980
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
.03cents....the new mugen box (grey) with 2 sticks packs has enough power to rip your arm off
hahaha.. all I wanna do is start my Axial, but I'll keep that in mind just in case someone gets me upset for hacking during the races..
r6ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #3981
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default starterbox

I am using the losi box for my buggy and truggy. Buggy with a radical and ninja for the truggy.Ran both classes plus practice last weekend and box had plenty of power all day long. Slap two 4200 stick packs in it and your done.
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #3982
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 163 (99%+)

the mugen box with a HT lipo will turn over a motor probably even if the rod is broke. motor break in is no problem with this set up
pink_sleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #3983
Tech Elite

sracer - That's more along the lines of the experience I have with the Losi box. It works fine!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #3984
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron View Post
I'm too old to be that reckless anymore .
21 isnt old! thats young!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #3985
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Aaron, when you guys are balancing your tires. How much weight would you deem to much. On my 8t rims with Proline MTR, i can have as much as .15 ounces, and it seems like alot of clay.

Also, when are the Losi Lipo packs and charge going to be in stores if you know. Will we need a regulator with them to keep the PT safe?

To comment on the losi box. It is my experience that if you use the stick packs, the 14.4 volts is enough to turn over any motor. But the 12v gel cell is very much lacking in the power department. I have a Picco P3 Team Turbo in my 8T, and my OFNA chrome top struggled to turn it over with a 12v battery. It was the first thing i tested the losi box on, and it turned over no problem with almost 3 weeks of not running. Get a decent set of stick packs, i have 4, that way 2 are always ready to go.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #3986
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killer89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigedmond View Post
Aaron, when you guys are balancing your tires. How much weight would you deem to much. On my 8t rims with Proline MTR, i can have as much as .15 ounces, and it seems like alot of clay.
I personally don't use clay for balancing 1/8 tires for that exact reason. When its all said and done I end up with a huge ball of clay inside of the rim. I only use clay for 1/10 tires. I prefer lead tape for 1/8 tires. I play a lot of tennis, and we use lead tape to weight and balance the rackets, so I just cut little strips the width of the wheel for 1/8 tires. It is very heavy and doesn't occupy space compared to clay...

It can be found in most tennis shops in small amounts. Big reels must be ordered online though. It can also be found in golf shops.

like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEAD-FOIL-TAPE-1...temZ8812266855

I personally use 1/2" tape, but you can get anything from 1/4" to 1" width.
killer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #3987
Tech Elite

rcdude - Hahaha, it doesn't feel like it sometimes. And it's definitely old enough to understand the consequences of sliding across asphalt and losing skin (watch that video, if you haven't).

biged - I don't really run balanced tires much. Yes, there's definitely a point where you're adding too much weight, but I don't know if I can give you a numerical value, haha. You should always try moving the foam around in the tire with your hands before you start adding big chunks of weight.

I'm not sure when the Losi li-po stuff will be available, just keep checking Horizon's stock level. As I understand it, you should run a regular to keep all of the electronics safe, and also to prevent the battery from over-discharging and destroying itself.

And that's more along the lines of the experience I've had with the Losi box!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #3988
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hey you pu... pu... pus... Can't even stay up a little late at a local club race.

YGPM
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #3989
Tech Elite

Haha, I was waiting for that.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #3990
Tech Master

Aaron you going to be out at Barona this Friday??
Mitch P. is offline   Reply With Quote