R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #3901
Tech Apprentice

never see you on MSN, But.
Im getting an 8 T. What motor size and maybe a brand/model should i look for.
MXrider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:55 PM   #3902
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

No joke Aaron....... I really screwed up! This is what it states in my C6BB manual page 16:
"If you run your engine very hard it is also advised that you replace the conrod after each 5 liters (1-1/2) gallons of fuel run through the engine, because the conrod is the most stressed part inside the engine."

Oops I do however check the conrod/crankpin play every gallon or so, and check the conrod/wristpin play. But to still be on the safe side, I change the conrod after break-in and once @ 3 gallons after the first conrod change. Then no more maintenance as I am then at that point drooling over the newer engines.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #3903
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron View Post
rezenclowd - The Drake engines are Picco based. I don't believe there's any reason to change the rod that often, not even close!

You can order replacement parts through Trinity's website, and I believe hobby shops should be able to order them as well.
Heh, I stay away from Trinity stuff with a 10 foot pole. Same as my LHS. Mainly because of distribution. Also they sure screwed up with the Team Magic stuff...which really torques me.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #3904
Tech Elite

MXrider - Really? My computer is signed into MSN pretty much all day, haha.

The 8IGHT-T benefits from the 8IGHT's very free drivetrain, and the truck itself is really light. I don't think it's necessary at all to run a .28, so pick your favorite .21 and have fun. I'm running the Drake Platinum .21 and my truck has plenty of power to clear everything and is fast around the track.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #3905
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
MXrider - Really? My computer is signed into MSN pretty much all day, haha.

The 8IGHT-T benefits from the 8IGHT's very free drivetrain, and the truck itself is really light. I don't think it's necessary at all to run a .28, so pick your favorite .21 and have fun. I'm running the Drake Platinum .21 and my truck has plenty of power to clear everything and is fast around the track.
I just dont get on msn at all man. really busy here lately. Motorcross is eating me up!

As for the motor, I figured the .28's are overkill and too much weight. For now ill just rob the Thunder Tiger outta my shumacher if ittle fit. If not, what would be a good .21 for some racing. But mostly just practicing on the local tracks, and maybe bashing here and there?

As always, i appreciate your help.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #3906
Tech Elite

If you're signed on and see my account online, drop me a message. Even if I'm away, I'll see it later.

It's not really that the .28's are too heavy, but the power isn't really necessary, and you'll get better mileage with the .21. The Thunger Tiger motor should fit unless it's not a standard .21 case and crank.

If you're looking for a budget motor, try the Novarossi 21BF (I think is their budget engine), the Werks B3, or any of the better known engine manufacturers. I've heard very mixed reviews about the O.S. VG so I guess it's really just a matter of opinion. If you can spring for it, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Trinity engine as well.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #3907
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
If you're signed on and see my account online, drop me a message. Even if I'm away, I'll see it later.

It's not really that the .28's are too heavy, but the power isn't really necessary, and you'll get better mileage with the .21. The Thunger Tiger motor should fit unless it's not a standard .21 case and crank.

If you're looking for a budget motor, try the Novarossi 21BF (I think is their budget engine), the Werks B3, or any of the better known engine manufacturers. I've heard very mixed reviews about the O.S. VG so I guess it's really just a matter of opinion. If you can spring for it, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Trinity engine as well.
Thank yah much! I look forward to getting my 8 T. If i have problems. I know where to go
Old 08-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #3908
Tech Elite

You're welcome. Not that I anticipate any problems with your new truck, but you know where to find me!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #3909
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
You're welcome. Not that I anticipate any problems with your new truck, but you know where to find me!
It should be ok. Whats the most Common thing to break. and i should carry a few spares of.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #3910
Tech Champion

What time are you guys leaving tomorrow? I'm thinking about going to bed in about an hour so I can get up @ 3:30.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #3911
Tech Fanatic

Aaron, Why isn't there 4 wheel steering on buggies and truggies? It doesn't look like it would be very difficult to have progressive cams for the rear steering using pivot ball rearends.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #3912
Tech Elite

MXrider - It depends on what you like to crash into! Get a couple packages of steering rod ends, some rear outer hinge pins, and a set of the aluminum rear diff inserts. Keep some clutch bearings handy too. You'll pick up on regular wear items as you run the truck.

Jon - Hahaha, no kidding! I think we'll leave around 4:15 or 4:30.

satoch - I really don't think 4-wheel steering is necessary. We don't really drive our cars on such narrow lanes that the decreased turning radius would be necessary, and pivoting rear wheels would just make the car harder to control at speed (think of how on-edge an R/C car is at 20 mph, versus a full-size car). Not to mention, it's more moving parts to set up, maintain, replace, etc. And I can imagine that engineering the mechanics of a 4-wheel steering system to increase performance would be a nightmare.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #3913
Tech Fanatic

I was thinking that a lot of guys complain that 1/8th buggies and truggies don't turn as well as they would like and/or have too much on-power push. Oh well, it was a thought. Maybe I'll do some tinkering for fun...
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #3914
Tech Elite

Bah, you can find complaints about anything. A car that turns too much is just as bad as a car that doesn't turn enough.

You could potentially make an R/C car capable of much better performance than the human mind could control, but there's no point. I think there are other concepts to explore within buggy and truggy design long before rear wheel steering would be necessary.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #3915
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killer89

Hey Aaron, its was good to meet you at the Shootout. I hope you had a good weekend, at least better than me

Anyways, I want to do a little more gas racing and I have an 8ight. I've ran about 4 gallons through it with 0 problems, but now its starting to look like I need to do a teardown. I was checking it out today and the front and rear diffs move literally about 2mm back and forth... I'm pretty sure thats not good. Anyways, what should I be looking for to replace after 4 gallons? What is causing that slop in the rear diffs, the inserts or the cases?

Thanks for the help,
Killer
killer89 is offline   Reply With Quote