R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #3886
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron View Post
If you're still looking for an engine, check out the Trinity Platinum .12. Very smooth with lots of power, and great mileage!
AW, what is the break-in process for that paper weight you made me buy... muhahah j/k. Should be here tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #3887
Tech Elite

Paperweight? MADE you buy? Yeah, I held you at gunpoint and made you click "Buy". Haha.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #3888
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

teehee it will be a beast! so whats the breakin process chief!?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #3889
Tech Elite

Start it up, richen the HSN until you can hold it wide open and it's very rich. Run 3-5 tanks. On the .21, you richen the HSN two full turns, but I don't know for the .12.

Run it 4-5 tanks on the track at a rich setting, not going full-throttle down the straightaway or death-revving it over a bad jump, but otherwise drive it like normal. After that, you can spend the next tank or two tuning the engine to achieve race performance.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #3890
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

See ya Saturday?
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #3891
Tech Elite

Oh yeah!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #3892
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron View Post
If you're still looking for an engine, check out the Trinity Platinum .12. Very smooth with lots of power, and great mileage!
This engine is awesome! We just had a fun race this past weekend and I decided to see how long I could go on a tank. I use a black associated carb insert and the Associated Smoothy pipe. My truck is the GT2 with tank insert to be ROAR legal.

I was able to make 14 mins in practice and 10 minutes in the race. Since 1/10 is bottom of the food chain, we only had a 10 minute main. I charged hard to lap the field then laid back for the final 3 mins trying to stretch it. I actually ran out 2ft before the line and coasted.

Overall it is a great engine I never touched the needles all day long and had tons of power and torque when needed. I am so impressed, I want to try the .21 and compare them to my C6.
Associated SC10.2, RC10B2, RC10T2, RC10
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #3893
Tech Elite

That's the best kind of compliment!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #3894
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Aaron,

I never thought I would find another engine I liked more than the MT12. I have had that for 5 years and just got it repinched. It starts with one bump and I don't think it has ever given me any problems. So far the Drake is right there. If a product is good I will tell everyone about it, and this engine is a great piece.
Associated SC10.2, RC10B2, RC10T2, RC10
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 AM   #3895
Tech Elite

Will you ever speak to Brandon Rohde ever again ?

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!
RC Scoring Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #3896
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinfish View Post
Aaron,

I never thought I would find another engine I liked more than the MT12. I have had that for 5 years and just got it repinched. It starts with one bump and I don't think it has ever given me any problems. So far the Drake is right there. If a product is good I will tell everyone about it, and this engine is a great piece.
Yes but what about parts availability? I change the conrod after breakin and once @ 3 gallons...(should do it every 1.5 liters according to Rody @ RB Concepts..) Ive been told by my LHS to stay away from Sirio based engines (which I believe it is?) because of lack of support and parts in my area (socal)
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #3897
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Scoring Pro View Post
Will you ever speak to Brandon Rohde ever again ?
why would'nt he doug??

Wells Fargo Home Team
theanimaleide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:10 PM   #3898
Tech Initiate

Hi guys. I don't know if, right place. But anyway. Can somebody please tell me. Somebody who is good on working on engines. Other than. RB mod & EB mod is there a secret where the Big boys go. Where they have their work done? Somebody with a good reputation. I would really appreciate any help here . Thank you
rc10bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #3899
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10bob View Post
Hi guys. I don't know if, right place. But anyway. Can somebody please tell me. Somebody who is good on working on engines. Other than. RB mod & EB mod is there a secret where the Big boys go. Where they have their work done? Somebody with a good reputation. I would really appreciate any help here . Thank you
Well, if you mean big boys as in factory pro's, their engines are usually built and tuned by what ever engine manufacturer they're sponsored by. I just started running an EB mod OS V-Spec and it's been great so far.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #3900
Tech Elite

pumpkinfish - Awesome, glad to hear it!

Doug - Haha. I totally and completely respect Brandon's decision, and wish him the best! It won't affect my friendship with him whatsoever.

Now, will I give him crap about it? Absolutely.

rezenclowd - The Drake engines are Picco based. I don't believe there's any reason to change the rod that often, not even close!

You can order replacement parts through Trinity's website, and I believe hobby shops should be able to order them as well.

rc10bob - I believe that engine modification is very over-rated in R/C, and that many hobbyists get the wrong impression about modified engines (and especially those used by pro-level racers) being greatly different and better than a stock engine off the shelf.

For example, the engines that Adam does for Trinity do not have much done to them, and they'll keep up with anything out there.