R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #3751
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Hey Aaron,I didnt get to make it up to the Race this weekend........

Just wondering how you came out??
Old 07-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #3752
Tech Elite

Seal - Worked out very well! I finished 23rd (I think that was the final standings?), qualified for the Worlds, and Adam won! Three Losi 8IGHT buggies in the top five. Great weekend .

Bobby - I didn't really know where Jason was on the track. I battled with Smolnik for a long time during the semi; I started 11th so it was tough to get moving up towards the front, but I'm really happy with where I finished.

B-Main at the Worlds? Wow, I'd be floored. I think the U.S. team has a great chance to do well at The Farm next year and I'm very excited to go. I'd love to finish in the top 50 but it will be a great experience regardless of where I finish.

Glad to hear you had a good weekend with everything. I think the new Spektrum radio will be a good one, but I haven't heard anything about it. I've never had any KO stuff or experience with the company.

sickboy - I'm still using Trinity Ni-MH receiver packs.

32racer32 - I haven't replaced brake discs in any of my cars yet.

Cody - I think Curtis Husting (of AE) won the A-Main. There were a lot of us there, three full heats!

Glad you had a safe and easy trip.

R/C Newbie - I think you'll find a lot of enjoyment with any of the cars in this hobby. If you're looking for scale-representative drifting, you'll probably want to look at the drift-specific on-road cars, like the new Losi Drift-R (if you want electric) or some of the cars by Yokomo, HPI, and others. You can slide any car in a controlled manner with enough practice.

You'll be able to do more things with an off-road car, and not be only limited to flat ground. If you want to go the off-road route, look at the XXX-NT Sport II or Losi 8IGHT RTR for some very solid nitro RTR's. As for fuel, there are lots of good, reputable brands out there. Losi, Trinity, Blue Thunder, etc.

Try not to go for the cheapest car you can find. Instead, you may want to look at buying a nicer model used, to save some money. If this is your first R/C car and you're nervous about the mechanical aspect of tuning and working on a car, you may want to stick to electric until you get more experience.

Don - Good job, but getting Jon to switch was only a matter of time.

My buggy was the same in St. Louis as it was at Revelation, and I thought my car was awesome all week, even when the grip came up. I ran four carbon shoes with gold springs (something I tried before leaving) and it worked awesome. I got very good mileage all week and I could've have asked for a better buggy or engine (or mechanic! My dad's always on the money ).
Old 07-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #3753
Regional Moderator

Default Header length vs. powerband?

What are the effects of a long header vs. a short header on an engine's powerband? I thought I read that a long header gives more low end / torque, and a short header is better for top end. Is this correct?
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #3754
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
kmaheartless - It's a feel thing more than a mathematical measurement. I think that many racers would do better to run more front brake with the 8IGHT than most other buggies, because the Losi buggy already turns quite well. Front brake will make the car stop much faster and be easier to drive, as long as you are careful to let off the brakes once you begin turning.
How would you know if the car has more front than back when driving it? LoL bare with me.. I am noob

and Aaron, could you please explain how different tooth clutch bell varies in different tracks? How to pick the right clutch bell for different tracks? For example, a short track with a lot of turns versus a long track with no major turns?
kmaheartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #3755
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm reading the thread right now so I'll answer the questions, haha.

Longer manifold gives you more low end power & a shorter manifold and more top end.

Less tooth clutchbell, like a 13 would be better on a short track because it gives more bottom end. A large track with long straights you would want a higher tooth bell like a 14 or 15 so you can get a higher top speed. Small=Short track. Large=Large Track.

If you have more front brake the car will feel like it is pushing (less turning) and with more rear brake it will have more turning.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #3756
Tech Apprentice

AZRCaddict - lol thanks
kmaheartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #3757
Tech Elite

What was the track surface/condition like? What where the tires of choice? I already know that Taper pins were used and JConcepts tires. Were the JConcepts tires that good for Mayfield to check out with, or was it more then that???
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #3758
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed View Post
Were the JConcepts tires that good for Mayfield to check out with, or was it more then that???

It was a combination of a couple things; The RC8, tires, wheels, wing, engine... and oh yeah.. He's probably the best driver in the world right now.
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #3759
Tech Rookie

sorry if this is off topic but do you know what these type of breaks are called. (its the black thing im pointing at) its a very old nitro hawk that i want to upgrade, also would i be able to make it into a disc break. there are more pictures if u need to know the set up

heres the pictures

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=DSC00321.jpg

thanks in advance
nfs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 AM   #3760
Tech Elite

nfs - That's a "drum" brake. I don't know of any conversions to make a Nitro Hawk use a disc break, but who knows what you can find on eBay?

Don - The track was hard packed and really smooth, but wet and soft underneath a hard crust. I think the rain packed the track so well that it stopped the track from being abrasive. Once the dust had been swept off the racing line (by the cars) the groove became really polished and slick.

flybywire and Don - To be honest (and yes, I know this sounds like a brand loyalty issue) but I think what we saw in St. Louis was proof that Ryan Maifield, on any given weekend, can be the fastest driver in the U.S. and probably the world. There were other drivers at the event with access to the same equipment he had, who were not able to match that pace. Given the track conditions and layout, I think it took much of the emphasis away from the cars and tires, and placed importance on driving. There were plenty of car and tire combinations that were competitive on that track, but Ryan got the job done better than anyone.

Was his car good? Undeniably. But Ryan himself was darn near perfect.

kmaheartless and carbonjoe - Cody did a pretty good job of covering your questions. What can I say? He gets his information from some pretty good sources

However, I have an addition to talking about gearing. Because we're talking about nitro engines that build torque at specific RPM ranges (versus an electric motor which has a linear power curve) gearing changes take on another dimension.

Gearing up can give you more top end, but only if the engine can pull the gear. Gearing up often serves to flatten the power of the engine and make it easier to drive, more so than adding top end (I've raced on some very large tracks where gearing up was not really a concern for the straightaway). As well, gearing up will usually make the clutch slip more, further smoothing out the power of the engine at slower speeds. In gas truck racing, a bigger clutch bell is like adding "traction control", haha. Gearing up is often associated with better fuel mileage.

Gearing down does the opposite. While you may sacrifice top speed, you usually gain power everywhere else. It will feel like the power starts earlier in the RPM range and pulls harder. Your clutch will engage with more authority and last longer because it's not slipping. Fuel mileage can suffer on larger tracks because you'll drive harder on faster sections of the track, where acceleration isn't a factor.

With all that said, gearing isn't really something I change from track to track.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #3761
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron View Post
flybywire and Don - To be honest (and yes, I know this sounds like a brand loyalty issue) but I think what we saw in St. Louis was proof that Ryan Maifield, on any given weekend, can be the fastest driver in the U.S. and probably the world. There were other drivers at the event with access to the same equipment he had, who were not able to match that pace. Given the track conditions and layout, I think it took much of the emphasis away from the cars and tires, and placed importance on driving. There were plenty of car and tire combinations that were competitive on that track, but Ryan got the job done better than anyone.

Was his car good? Undeniably. But Ryan himself was darn near perfect.
That was pretty much my point (with sarcasm..) Sure the RC8 will the nice, and so will the JConcepts stuff... but Maifield is just flat out one of the best there is right now.

Look at my avitar.. Im about as loyal to losi as it gets without being sponsored...lol, but facts are facts.
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #3762
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Aaron, can you tell me affect of running the 4 carbpn shoes, on the buggy and the 4 alum. shoes on the truck?
Dale.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #3763
Tech Elite

Brett - Haha, I understand.

Dale - This is what I'm hoping to achieve with those clutch setups (neither of which I can take credit for, haha. These, like most good ideas, come from the National Champion himself!):

- The carbon shoes should slip a bit more. This will make the buggy accelerate much smoother, especially through rough stuff.

- The four aluminum shoes in the 8-T should lock up harder, preventing excessive clutch wear. The stiff springs will stop the engine from bogging when the clutch locks up because the clutch will engage at a higher RPM. And you can never have enough punch in truggy
Old 07-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #3764
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Nice job Aaron.........
Prop's to Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would imagine that the WORLD'S RACE would be a NEW TREAT!

I wont waste my breath telling you GOOD LUCK.........

It wuz ur SKILLZ that brought you this far!!!

Later Dog!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #3765
Tech Elite

I'll never turn down someone wishing me good luck!

Thanks for the kind words The car wasn't bad either, haha.