Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

will the losi 8ight-t stock tires wokr ok on a clay blue groove track?
if not what should i use on my truggy.
thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Default Excessive play in front of 8?

HI Aaron

I have a question regarding the amount of play in the front suspension/steering in my 8.

The whole left side of the car seems to have a lot of excessive movement mainly from the ackerman plate bush and the stub axle pins that are at the top and bottom and the hinge pin plates on the gearbox.

I already replaced the bell cranks, ackerman plate, stub axles, tie rod ends and bearings and after 1 meeting the play is back. I made sure that my end points were set correctly before i ran the car again. Steering servo is an ACE 1015

When i try and set the car up i find i have around 2 -3 degrees extra toe out because of the slop and it makes getting the car to steer properly difficult because the wheels "wobble" all over the place especially the straights

Any ideas or are they just like this?

Cheers

Lunie
Old 06-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trixter - Don't get me wrong, these "toys" have brought me a lot of entertainment and some amazing opportunities, and I've met some amazing people through it all. But it's for fun, it always has been and always will be. It seems like our hobby loses sight of that sometimes.

Casper - Thanks for the help :-)

Jason - Thanks dude, it's awesome! My girlfriend's gonna be mad that she's not on my desktop anymore, but she'll get over it!

Shookie - Thanks!

dido41 - They're definitely worth a shot, I have liked the stock tires on a variety of different tracks. As long as it's not cold, they should work pretty well. Otherwise, I think Holeshots are the best truggy tire. And they work even better if you mount them on the bigger Losi wheel.

losi8lunie - Really, your car doesn't track straight because of the front end wiggling around? I know the Losi buggy has a bit of play in the steering linkage, but not 2-3 degrees worth and I've never heard of it causing a problem on the track. Your problem sounds a little extreme, like something else could be causing the car to not track straight.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Aaron Waldron;3369559]Trixter - Don't get me wrong, these "toys" have brought me a lot of entertainment and some amazing opportunities, and I've met some amazing people through it all. But it's for fun, it always has been and always will be. It seems like our hobby loses sight of that sometimes.

I was just having a little fun. I've been doing this since 1988 and still going strong, I too have met a lot of great folks and made some wonderful friendships, isn't that what life is all about?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Aaron is the muggy wing the same as the buggy and the truggy
it is so hard to get parts for the 8 and 8t right now oh wait thats been like that for months now I know horizon has the muggy wing in stock last I checked. I know they don't have a restock date for the 8 or the 8t wing.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hey Aaron, I am really struggling with my 8ight. This is my second 8ight and this buggy handles nothing like my first one. I am running everything exactly the same as the first one. The first buggy was on rails but the second car is more than a handful. I am having the hardest time keeping the rear planted with my second buggy. It seems as if the rear end of the car likes to sporatically jump from underneath me, its like the rear end just unloads and breaks out. I have even had this particular problem on high bite tracks. Has something changed with the cars? Also my basic setup is 3-5-1, F-54/40wt, R-55/32.5wt. Any help that you could provide me would be much appreciated. Thanks
Marcus Black
Old 06-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trixter - No really, I understand. Haha. I talk to friends I've met through racing R/C cars every day.

1988? I was two years old...haha!

controlledchaos - The Muggy wing should be the same. Losi is working on getting caught up on the 8 and 8T stuff, it's just taking a while. Everything should be fine.

Black - How old is your second car? The rear driveshaft joints will continue to break in for the first gallon of run-time and the car will gain traction as the joints break in. Also, make sure the rear arms are not bound up on the inner pivot and stopping the rear arms from articulating smoothly.

If that doesn't help, let me know.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

AW, just fyi unless something has changed since the muggy's release, the wings are not the same. They are the same except the holes are drilled in different spots, the holes are spaced farther on the muggy wing. I had a mugster when I purchased my 8ight and thought I'd save the wing until I needed and tried putting the used muggy wing on and it was a no go.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Haha yeah, I just saw that. The wing itself is the same but it's drilled differently.

Losi has a part number for the yellow wing now, it's A-8132. It is listed as a "universal wing" so I'm guessing the holes are not drilled.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Aaron I checked the car out and nothing is binding in the rear, everything is super smooth. Also the car has about a 1/2 gallon or so on it. Is there anything that you can suggest? I have heard that its possible that the lastic inserts that go over the rear outdrives could possibly be spinning inside of the diff casing? Does that sound like something that you have heard happen before? Thanks again.
Marcus
Old 06-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

If it's only 1/2 gallon old, it still has some break-in time left before the car will have more rear traction.

The rear diff inserts are subject to getting some slop and can cause the diff to move around a bit, but it shouldn't make the car loose. Losi sells aluminum replacements that will help prolong the life of the ring and pinion gears, but I don't think that's the cause of your car being hard to drive.

Other than more track time, you can try small adjustments to make the car easier to drive, like moving your front camber link to the top hole in the shock tower and your rear camber link to the top-middle hole in the tower. This should make your car a little easier to drive as it breaks in.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
dido41 - They're definitely worth a shot, I have liked the stock tires on a variety of different tracks. As long as it's not cold, they should work pretty well. Otherwise, I think Holeshots are the best truggy tire. And they work even better if you mount them on the bigger Losi wheel.
And it will only take you 50 minutes to mount them.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

BLAH BLAH BLAH. It's not that bad, all you're doing is cutting the bead of the tire. You gotta do that for a lot of other tires anyway.

You haven't IMed me in a while...haha.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Aaron, I had a similar problem to what Black is dealing with now. My rear end would break loose on me and I'd kinda spin out. I could control it and keep my spinning out to a minimum if I babied it around turns. I was at my peak frustration when I qualified for the B main at my home track. I've never had this problem before, so I compared my car with one of my friends and noticed that my ride heigh was a bit low. It was lower than my friends even though we both had identical preload on the shocks.

I then noticed that my shocks wouldn't bottom out if I lifted the rear end up. I was running my camber positioned in the 2-A location. Because of the tie rods being so long, I noticed that they were compressing against the swivel ball. This wasn't even the shortest link position, So I bought a set of front tie rods and put them in the rear, and it free'd my car up tremendously.

I went on to win the B main, by 2 laps over second place. I bumped up to the A and managed to get all the way up to fourth by the half way mark, with 3rd, and 2nd in sight. Until I got creamed by the car behind me while I was trying to avoid a wreck. This accident popped off a steering link and caused me to limp into pit lane. I was about to walk off the stand untill my pit guy told me he fixed the car. I then decide to finish the race. Some how I was able to pick my way from last to 5th before the race was over. It was a great race considering that everyone who started the race finished the race, which makes what I was able to do that much more gratifying.

What you should get from all that is that the rear tie rods are too long, replace them with the shorter front tie rods, so you can use all the camber positions.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Well, perfect! I have heard that the turnbuckles are too long for some of the possible camber link location combinations, so that's a good thing to keep in mind.

I've been running 4-A on my car since I got it, and I'm really happy with how my car works. 2-A can make it a bit easier to drive though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.