R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #3451
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron

Horatio - 600 feet?! We're talking two football fields here. Some of the bigger tracks I've seen are a pretty good test of eyesight and you're never even close to 600 ft. away from the car from any point on the drivers' stand.
No, I know what you're saying, but it's nice to know that you're never racing anywhere near the operational range of your radio. Besides, for people that operate surface models for other purposes besides racing cars - 600 feet is a limit that you'd definitely have to keep in mind.

If the aero systems are transmitting at the same power, range would surely be an issue, especially for large or fast models. Certainly something worth finding out about before investing in the new technology.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #3452
Tech Adept

Aaron, I have been reading through this thread and the Losi electric truck and buggy thread you seem to be active in. I am looking at getting a Losi electric 1/10th scale truck for the local track. But right now I have a few RC18ís and a HPI Hellfire SS kit that I am building. I am going to start running the 18ís this week and the HPI in a few weeks when the rest of my kit comes in. I donít expect you to have any setup tips for either of these. However from reading the 2 threads it sounds like you start by tweaking the shocks and anti squat to handle the jumps, fly well, land, and deal with the rough area of the track. Then you adjust toe, camber, and wheel type to get the car turning and fast on the straits. Or am I just way off on all of this?

Thanks, Tom
TGA78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #3453
Tech Elite

Phil - Haha, I don't know but I'd really like to. If everything goes according to plan, next year's Worlds if not sooner!

drrm - Don't call me Mr., I'm 20 years old HAHAHA.

I never really run an insert or a restrictor in gas truck (.12's), but I've never run a .21 without an insert. Many carburetors are specifically designed to be used with an insert.

Horatio - I understand. I would think that an operational distance that's pretty close to the limit of being able to see the model is probably good enough? Haha!

TGA - Not only are you not "far off", you've pretty much nailed what I think is the most logical method of tuning an R/C car.

Use shock dampening spring rates, and mounting locations to alter how the car jumps and handles rough sections of the track, and to manage the bulk of weight transfer. Then use adjustments like roll centers, camber, toe, anti-squat, hub spacing, ackerman, etc. to make the car turn.

Shocks make a big change on the overall balance of the car. Everything else (in moderate increments of course) will change how the car works without severely upsetting the overall balance.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #3454
Tech Elite

To the top!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #3455
Tech Elite

Were are you playing this weekend?
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #3456
Tech Adept

Aaron, I have started to look at the 1/8th scale Buggys. The Jammin X1 thread is really long and I have only been able to get through some of it so far but I noticed you use to drive one. I can get a Jammin X1 CR Factory Team kit for about $500. Seems like a very nice kit at that price and I really like the layout. Are there any other kits as good as the X1 CR FT in that price range that I should have a look at?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #3457
Tech Elite

Don - I'm not sure...I think I'm going to hang out at home this weekend. It'll be the first in over two months, so it might be nice to have a Saturday and Sunday without a race!

TGA - The Hyper 8 buggy is actually even cheaper than that. I think the Mugen car, the Losi 8IGHT, and the XRay EC are probably the next step up in price, and the latest Kyosho is probably right around there as well? The Jammin' car is a very solid car and the Jammin' guys have done a great job turning it into an awesome entry in such a very competitive market.

All the cars on the market today are good, you can't really go wrong. Of course I'll tell you that I believe the 8IGHT is the best car currently, and if you can spring the money for one I absolutely recommend it. If you end up with the Losi car, you'll have full access to every bit of information I know about it!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #3458
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killer89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGA78
Aaron, I have started to look at the 1/8th scale Buggys. The Jammin X1 thread is really long and I have only been able to get through some of it so far but I noticed you use to drive one. I can get a Jammin X1 CR Factory Team kit for about $500. Seems like a very nice kit at that price and I really like the layout. Are there any other kits as good as the X1 CR FT in that price range that I should have a look at?

the 8ight is only $500... Go for that
killer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #3459
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

im looking at getting a carbon fiber chassis for my 1/10th electric buggy. i dont race much, so it will be mostly used for bashing. do you think that it is worth the $90 to get the full carbon chassis? or should i stick with plastic for off-road

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #3460
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Red face

Aaron - Losi has not updated their website's new products section since April of last year. Lots of stuff to put up since then.
Just FYI.

Still loving the car. It is smooth as butter.
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #3461
Tech Adept

Well I have not found a Losi 8 kit for much under $600. I can get the X1 for less but thought the Factory Team kit seemed like the best value. And Aaron, I do appreciate the setup tips you provide for the cars you run but I sure most of your old X1 setup advice from the other thread would get me started.

I also like the layout of the X1 a little better. From what I have seen it looks like it wouldnít be too hard to convert to a brushless saddle pack setup. The Losi 8 seems like it would have to be a stick pack. While not a typical consideration when buying one of these kits, itís something I am looking at whole shopping for a 1/8 buggy.

Aaron, in your opinion what does the Losi 8 excel at? What really sets it apart from the other buggys? (Other then the driver)

Thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #3462
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6558

$499.99 at A-Main - $25 coupon = $474.99

Both the Jammin and Losi are great buggys.

CR
Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 AM   #3463
Tech Elite

streetracer - I can imagine that your stock chassis would be your best bet for bashing around. The carbon fiber chassis isn't going to make your car a better basher, and you'll risk destroying the chassis or shorting your electronics. I would stick with the stock one.

tex - Yes, I'm not sure who does the website anymore. Although Horizon should have all the parts listed.

TGA - Ask and ye shall receive, apparently. Haha!

Converting any 1/8th scale buggy to electric is going to take some ingenuity, I don't think that's a fair basis to judge the car on. Since you'll be able to ditch the engine, throttle servo, receiver pack, and fuel tank, you should have plenty of room. Also, fitting a saddle pack into a space that would hold a stick pack is a piece of cake.

The Losi buggy is different from pretty much every buggy on the market. The way the car accelerates and jumps are the car's two most highly regarded traits, although it does everything well. It has a lot of steering, good traction, and is very stable through rough stuff.

The Losi 8IGHT benefits most from being driven conservatively; although a totally different driving style than every other buggy on the market, you don't have to put much effort into hustling the car around the track, resulting in less mistakes.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:36 AM   #3464
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

ACtually all you need to convert 8th scales to electric is a motor mount and some way to attach the batteries. The motor mount is going to be the hardest since you will want it to be a machined alum piece but if you have an endmill it should not be a big deal. I have seen some of the conversions and they are really simple.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #3465
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smitty2802

Who's Aaron Waldron???

where have you been...lol

-DC-