Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Oh boy.

I'll let you drive mine next time we get the chance. Then you'll understand!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You going to be there Saturday for practice?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Yup! Not sure what time, but we'll be there.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

I recently bought a nitro rustler to get into playing around and maybe eventually some racing, now its got the old pro .15 and I looked online and found kits to convert to TMX 2.5 engines, now Im curious as to wether a TMX3.3 could drop in instead using the kit, Whats a good engine thats low to medium priced and what is needed to make one of these engine packages actually fit, I know every vehicle is diffrent but in general.

Please help me Im new to this and completly lost.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

I don't know what it would take to put the 3.3 engine into a Rustler using a 2.5 conversion. If there are no means to make that conversion yet, I'm sure the aftermarket companies are working on it.

Generally speaking, you'll need a header pipe, engine mounts, and the correct carb linkage. I'm sure an aftermarket conversion kit to drop a 2.5 motor into your truck will have all that stuff in it, or at the least, information on how to make it work.

The Traxxas engines are great for their intended purposes. They run well, make good power, and don't break the bank. Traxxas has great customer service and a reputation for reliability so sticking with their engines for your Rustler is probably a good idea!

Hope that helps?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah thanks.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

No problem.

This Sunday is the first round of the Jimmy Babcock Racing League Nitro Series, at Hobbytown Raceway in Palm Desert, CA. If you're in the area, come check it out!

I'll be gone most of the weekend, but I'll be back next week to answer all your questions.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default my traxxas nitro sport

my traxxas nitro sport has a EZ start in it

i just wondering if there was a better way

like a glow starter and use the EZ start to turn the motor over
instead of pullstart
Old 04-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by khanzie
my traxxas nitro sport has a EZ start in it

i just wondering if there was a better way

like a glow starter and use the EZ start to turn the motor over
instead of pullstart
The ez start comes with a built in glow starter that connects to the top of the glow plug (blue cord?) but you can use a glow ignitor instead, it will work the same. So, yes.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

the nitro sport has a pro .15 still right? if so, then i dont think there is another way to start it other than pull and ez start. and yes it is the blue cord that goes to the plug. if it has a TRX2.5 or 2.5r you can use either duratrax kwick start systems or hot bodies systems on it.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

khanzie - Yeah, what they said!

What are you looking for in terms of "better"? The EZ-Start system is pretty cool, and much more convenient than a pull-starter.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

How'd ya do yesterday in the main? Was it dark? I had fun. Long day on a rough track.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

5th in truggy, 7th in buggy. I think my eyes were struggling big time with depth perception in the dark.

Basically, I blew out.

It was dark by the time the A's rolled around, and after a McD's trip after the races we got home around midnight. Long day, but it was awesome to see that many people show up to support Jimmy's new series!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

I have a question. I've been considering getting new 2.4ghz radio for my cars and planes, BUT I have a couple of nagging doubts.

What's the range of these new systems? I notice that the output power on these new systems is very low compared to typical FM/PCM systems.

The limits set by the authorities seems pretty low compared to FM/PCM stuff as it is, yet some manufacturers seem to be making 2.4 aero systems that are well under half the power of the others. In some cases, it would seem certain systems are transmitting above the legal output limit. With car radios, it seems output power is often a closely guarded secret. HAhaha.

According to OFCOM

For 2.4ghz stuff, legal operating output limit = 100mW
(systems typically operate between 47mw - 128mW)

For FM/PCM, the legal operating output limit = 100mW
(however, typical FM/PCM radios exceed this - most are transmitting between 500 - 600mW!!)

So, what's the score with new surface radios? What does your manual say about the output? Is it anywhere close to 100mW and how does this equate to the real world in terms of how far away you can safely drive your model?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

I don't have any numbers, but Spektrum advertises both their air and surface units (both add-on modules and complete radio systems, I believe) to continue to transmit a signal until the vehicle is too far away to control safely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.