R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #3286
Tech Elite

To be honest, I'm not awful sure. I've only been racing truggy for....a week and a half now, haha.

I know there have been a few tricks involving cutting the bead of the rims and the tires themselves to make them narrower, but I'm not sure how much I buy into it. Especially for the average club racer, I'm not sure I'd recommend doing something like that for a negligible advantage.

Pro-Line's new MTR carcass tires, as I understand it, were to address some of these changes racers were making to their tires. The new Bow-Tie and Holeshots should be good, as well as Losi's new tire and wheel combos.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #3287
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

thats kinda what I thought all I have noticed is that they turn into giant pizza cutters and have a pretty good amount of tire roll in the corners. Have any hot tips on what the Pro's are running as far as foams and tires?

Jeff
tooofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #3288
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
I ALWAYS have fun. This is a hobby for me. I go to big races all the time and see people get upset and fired up and throwing equipment and yelling and fighting with people. I got a whole list of bad words screamed at me while practicing Thursday...I didn't even know what to say.

I can understand being competitive, and being bummed out over making mistakes. I do it all the time (I'm my own biggest critic.) But every time I get upset at the track I take a big step back and remember why I'm doing this.

If you're not having fun playing with toy cars. you need to find a new hobby. And probably a therapist.

I'm sure I'll talk a lot more smack to Mike tonight when we're at the track, but I was trying to keep it PC, for the internet. HAHA!
It's true, the fun element should not be lost in our sport/hobby (note the cunning use of both words in an attempt to be diplomatic )

Unfortunately, the bigger the meeting, the more likely it is that people forget that we're supposed to be having fun with like minded people, albeit in a competitive way.

As clubs strive to 'improve' and host increasingly bigger or higher profile meetings, it strikes me that along the way, there is a sort of exponential probability of politics spoiling things!

It seems the harder you work at making a club work well, the membership increases and before you know it, the number of 'awkward customers' steadily rises.

I remember seeing a guy throw his car into a crowded pit, narrowly missing a number of people, including a young child. Unbelievable. I was the only person on the committee pushing for a ban of some sort, possibly temporary and couldn't believe it when nothing actually got done.

Like any other organised meeting, you get to meet all sorts of people, some of whom may not actually be very pleasant.

On the other hand, I've yet to meet an RC Car that I haven't liked!
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #3289
Tech Master

Post Hi Aaron.....

ygpm.

*bump*
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #3290
Tech Elite

toofast - I know people have tried strapping tires (turning the tires inside out and wrapping duct tape around them) among other things to stop them from ballooning so badly.

I'm not really up to date with all the tricks on truggy tires yet, next week is my first big race with the 8IGHT-T. Hopefully the learning curve isn't too steep!

It seems that the MTR carcass Bow-Ties and Holeshots are the hot ticket for most surface conditions right now. The 8IGHT-T kit tires will also work very well and I'm sure we'll try running them on a variety of track conditions.

Horatio - I think it's the combination of the competitive nature of racing, and the unrealistic importance of winning races or finishing well that seems to be finding its way into our HOBBY (notice the lack of using both words there because I don't care one bit about being diplomatic).

Too much pressure to attend and do well at big races, too many racers with the goals of being sponsored, too much nonsense. I've seen kids go from having fun at the race track and dads enjoying that time with their kids, to screaming at each other and kids running into the parking lot crying, all because of a couple sponsors at a toy car race. Unbelieveable.

That's not to say I'm not competitive, but there MUST be a limit to it. Race organizers, sanctioning bodies, and companies with sponsored drivers all need to step up and start enforcing decent behavior, and it needs to start at the club level. You might lose one customer by banning a hothead from the track, but you'll lose LOTS of racers who won't want to get hit by equipment being thrown across the pits.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #3291
Tech Apprentice

I am a beginner i have a B4 and now am looking at the XXX- NT2 whats a good setup for the B4? and how can i get more battery power out of my battries?
DR1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #3292
Tech Elite

For setup help with Associated cars, try www.rc10b4.com. I don't have any experience with AE cars and trucks, so that's probably your best bet.

Battery power is largely over-rated. If you're using saddle-pack batteries, you can equalize them using a product like the Novak Smart Tray before you charge, which will help balance the power in each cell. Also, using a good charger and not beating up the batteries by charging at high amp rates will help them last a long time.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #3293
Tech Elite

Quote:
Horatio - I think it's the combination of the competitive nature of racing, and the unrealistic importance of winning races or finishing well that seems to be finding its way into our HOBBY (notice the lack of using both words there because I don't care one bit about being diplomatic).

Too much pressure to attend and do well at big races, too many racers with the goals of being sponsored, too much nonsense. I've seen kids go from having fun at the race track and dads enjoying that time with their kids, to screaming at each other and kids running into the parking lot crying, all because of a couple sponsors at a toy car race. Unbelieveable.

That's not to say I'm not competitive, but there MUST be a limit to it. Race organizers, sanctioning bodies, and companies with sponsored drivers all need to step up and start enforcing decent behavior, and it needs to start at the club level. You might lose one customer by banning a hothead from the track, but you'll lose LOTS of racers who won't want to get hit by equipment being thrown across the pits.
Agreed. It's a shame your input wasn't available at the said committee meeting, perhaps the outcome might have been more beneficial for the majority of the membership at that time!

I took time-out from racing for numerous reasons, but still enjoy the non-competitive side of RC (note cunning use of neither word!! ).

However, the racing itch is getting the better of me again, so I sense a return to the Truggy class is on the cards pretty soon.....
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #3294
Tech Elite

I've taken a few month breaks over the course of the last eleven years (haha) but I still keep coming back.

Anyone who saw the smile on my face after the first round on Saturday knows why. I had a clean run, my car worked awesome, I didn't crash or bobble....and man, it was SO much fun.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #3295
Tech Apprentice

on any nitro car what exactly do you mean by tuning? is it the engine or what?
DR1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #3296
Tech Elite

Tuning a nitro vehicle usually refers to adjusting the air/fuel mixture of the carburetor. So yes, the engine.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:07 PM   #3297
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default racin

Quote:

If more of the Racer's would concentrate!! (keyword) On the aspect of doing the very best with there HotRod's ie....Driving to the best of there ability and to set realistic goals with there TOY CAR'S (exepensive) they would most likely beat or Win against the person that hurt's there result' s the most!!!

YOURSELF!!!

Everyone on every level of this Wonderful Hobby that we enjoy so much needs to stepup in there on way....Be it at local club's, hobby shop's,Or on a Professional Level ....We all need to Work to be a POSITIVE R.C. REP!!!!!

Somebody is alway's watching YOU!!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #3298
Tech Elite

Even more simply than that!

If more racers took a step back and remembered why they started racing in the first place, there would be fewer problems.

It's supposed to be about having fun. NOTHING else!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #3299
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

hay aaron, i will see if i can get joe g. to introduce us sunday at silver state. If you remember, ask him about the back yard track he ran at friday. Talk to you then.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #3300
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Quote:
Even more simply than that!

If more racers took a step back and remembered why they started racing in the first place, there would be fewer problems.

It's supposed to be about having fun. NOTHING else!
YUP, i new you were right about something.......
nobike is offline   Reply With Quote