Ask Aaron Waldron

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Aaron, Which front tire would work better on a loamy track(directionals or razor ribs, red or silver) we run step pins or lugnuts on the rear. when watered the track has lots of traction but when dry it is slick. Also on the directional what is the difference in handling when you mount them the opposite way. thanks
Old 05-31-2004, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Directionals are the easiest tire to drive..we don't ever really run Razor Ribs. We use Reds everywhere we go..but if for some reason you needed more steering, then try Silvers.

Running the angled ribs on the inside will make the tire feel more edgy, but take away overall steering. We always run the angled ribs on the outside, which gives you more steering, but makes it smoother as well.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Aaron would you happen to be able to tell me your set up that you use for losi xxx-nt???
Old 05-31-2004, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.teamlosi.com/pictures/jpe...std_adam03.jpg

I use that everywhere I go!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Thanx alot, wuld you happen to make like minor adjustments thouigh to certain tracks, like toe in camber, oil wt.???
Old 05-31-2004, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

josh, I ran a xxx-nt for over two years and the drake setup works very well everywhere. Take his advise he knows what's up. the only thing left is the tire choice. Then I would suggest you look at the local fast guys and see which tire they run.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

will the mf2 come with the white ballcups?
Old 05-31-2004, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
I've never mail-ordered anything R/C related. I'm a firm believer in supporting the local hobby shop, so they'll stay in business. Anything I still have to buy (haha) comes from my local hobby store.
I'd like to buy from my LHS but they hardly carry anything at ALL for the MST-1...i dont see why i should pay them for clicking the mouse and ordering online when i could click myself, esp from the same SITE! However for regular maintence i always go to my LHS esp for little stuff like airfilters, fuel, and all that stuff.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

What all do I need to start racin???
Old 05-31-2004, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Josh - stu's right...I don't change anything. That setup is very balanced and works great, all that's left is to pick the correct tires and foam.

craziracer - Yes, the MF2 will come with white ballcups that resemble the RTR cups; the shaft into which the turnbuckle threads is round, not a hex.

techart - Then tell them to hook it up! They're not going to turn away business..and may even attract other customers in the area who have the same truck! Most hobby stores will order parts from a distributor for you, and you won't have to pay shipping, as it will come with their next order.

rc10t3 - Car, electronics, tires, a little bit of practice, and a whole lot of patience!
Old 05-31-2004, 10:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Aaron i want to get serious about racing my xxxnt but im not sure how. I plan on racing at the shootout and i need all the practice i can get. Basically i just go to revelation on practice nights and bash around on the track not really noticing lap times fast lines etc really just having fun with my truck. I was curious on your methods of practicing that makes you a better racer. Any imput will be appreciated. Also which tires do you like to run at revelation step pins????

thanks,

Jon
Old 06-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

I use Red Step Pins and Red Directionals at Revelation. Works great.

Before practice starts, I make it a habit to physically walk the track to look at the faces of the jumps, the width of corners, any possibility of straight-lining a section, etc. I will walk to the driver's stand and have someone point out certain areas like holes, and reference points for hitting jumps and turning into corners.

The first few laps of practice are always slow; in fact, I might even single every jump on the first lap, just to get used to the track surface and how my car or truck will react to the angle of the jumps. I will drive around the middle of the lanes for the first 3-5 laps to get a feel for the layout; when I get comfortable, I will then decide going down the straight to strap it up and try to put in 2 or 3 fast laps. After those laps, I'll turn it down a bit into cruise control, and start thinking of places to make up time. If at all possible, I'll cut the track and do the same section over and over until I'm comfortable going through it a certain way.

When I am comfortable driving laps at race pace, I start looking for jump combinations or different lines through corners that might shave off some time. Before practice ends, I will always try to burn off a few laps as fast am I feel I can drive around the track without crashing. I really don't like using laptimes to judge how I do in practice, but I do like to try driving around with Adam or someone else who is faster during practice to find out how they drive through a particular section.

If you have any questions up at the Shootout, stop by and hit me up!
Old 06-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Aaron,

I'm rebuilding the diff's in both my cars and am wondering if it is OK to keep the diff gear, or replace it. I am replacing the diff rings, thrust bearing rings and the balls. Should I get a new gear or just clean the one I've got?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2004, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Depends on what it looks like. If the balls still snap in tight, and the teeth look fine, then you'll be alright.

Personally..I replace the whole diff every time.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Tech Rookie

What is the shootout and when is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.