R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-16-2004, 09:51 PM   #226
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Help with xxx-nt
Hey Aaron. I need some setup help with my gas truck.
A good setup for hard packed clay track that gets rough. We water it down so it's not so dusty. It has good traction when wet. Thanks.

The setup I have now is along the same as Drakes rough track setup. I just can't seem to get it dialed. Wish I could get it like my MF xxx-t cause it rocks. Thanks for your time.
dougmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:42 PM   #227
Tech Elite

Doug - I got to your question on the Nationals thread before I read it on this one.

threeEwes - I grew up at that track (DHW)! I've come along way since then..but I'll never forget all the years we race there. Do you remember the old announcer, Gary Guest? He's racing again..and is sponsored by Mugen and Orion.

Thanks for the compliments..you should come out to some of the tracks up north sometime.

mafia - Honestly..there really is no place where CVD's have an advantage on the back of a Losi vehicle.

Most of the trucks weren't jumping through the section where that buggy had just launched off of. I did jump that quite a few times in practice on Thursday, but never did during the race.

Casey - I'm not familiar at all with that .18 engine, so I really don't have much of an idea. The clutch should fit, but I am not sure about the motor mounts.

Tony - Are they dragging? Or just not operating smoothly? Are you running plastic brake clips?
Old 05-16-2004, 11:44 PM   #228
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I heard Gary Guest's name the other day and figured I must have been hearing wrong, that's cool that he's racing again.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:43 AM   #229
Tech Elite

He had me COVERED Saturday during qualifying at the Nitro Maxx Challenge, he was 3rd qualifier behind Ryan and Adam.

Something happened, and his truck faded during the main.

Top three for the 2004 Nitro Maxx Challenge:

Cavalieri
Drake
...Waldron
Old 05-17-2004, 08:35 AM   #230
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Troy i'm with Aaron you shouldn't drive my truck, because i saw you try to race my truck befor and you were all over the place..... stick with sedan where theres traction for you... LoL......

Aaron what tuned pipe should i get, because the stock one that i have with it som how got a dent in the side of it about 1/2" around and i didn't hit anything at all when i was driving in track in my backyard...(nothing to hit that would do that) so i'm wondering if i should get the adam drake tuned pipe, unless you know a better one????
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:28 AM   #231
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to BarnRacer
Default Question

How does the difference in piston hole size compare to changing the shock oil? In other words how do changing the pistons rather than the oil make a difference in handling?

Losi Bk
Losi NT
BarnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:45 AM   #232
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Team Associated

k thanks for the help
Team Associated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #233
Tech Elite

Josh - The Drake pipe is the best all-around pipe for gas truck.

Casey - Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Barnracer - Changing oil will have more affect on the shock throughout its range of movement, whereas changing pistons change the amount of "pack" the shock has, which is a fancy term for how the shock reacts to sudden compressions, usually in the first little bit of travel.

Assume the same static dampening rates:
Big piston holes + thick oil = less pack
Small piston holes + thin oil = more pack
Old 05-17-2004, 04:37 PM   #234
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My brakes are stock Drake kit brakes- they drag for about 1/4 of each revolution...also just wondering if you did anything special when you build your brakes since the brake disk is sometimes a little too thick (or the pad spacers too thin) to allow drag-free action when the brakes are not applied
Tall Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:27 PM   #235
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nitro kid
Post help

Hi thank for the help set-up my st i went to the race and get first now i need help set-up my buggy it a bx how fast will a 81/22 kill my battery then a 88/22 and how much speed differant bettew the to THANK FOR THE HELP ON THE ST GUY i will be use 2400-3300battery
nitro kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:30 PM   #236
Tech Elite

nitro kid - 88/22 will make the battery last longer and the buggy will accelerate faster.

tall can - I haven't had to do anything special to my brakes before... if the disc is too wide, you could always file it down. Is the disc spinning straight between the shoes?
Old 05-17-2004, 11:09 PM   #237
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by JoshR 85
HeY!!!

Troy i'm with Aaron you shouldn't drive my truck, because i saw you try to race my truck befor and you were all over the place..... stick with sedan where theres traction for you... LoL......
\
Hey now, I drove someone's offroad "thingy" and was doing pretty well with it. Was it your's or dougs? I don't remember... ?
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:36 AM   #238
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

tall can - i too had this problem on my first nt. it turned out the brake disc itself was not of even thickness all the way around (a bit thicker in one spot). replaced the disc and problem solved.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:43 AM   #239
Tech Master

HeY!!

Prolly both of ours, although you took like the whole pack to finely keep it off the walls and pipes for last 7 laps.
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:12 AM   #240
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by JoshR 85
HeY!!

Prolly both of ours, although you took like the whole pack to finely keep it off the walls and pipes for last 7 laps.
Nah, if I remember right, There was only one corner I didn't like, and couldn't get right, otherwise I was decent.

If someone were to give me a truck with a decent setup, I think I'd do pretty darn good for a sedan guy.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote