R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-03-2004, 08:03 AM   #1621
Tech Adept

A-dub - Nothing, just waiting on my AD2

Any & everyone has to come to the CRCRC race if you can make it. The layouts are being made by one of the best in the world, Steve King. Even better than the tracks Pete use to make & that's saying something. Pete was the best in the area before he retired.
dkj-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:13 AM   #1622
Tech Elite

jamie - Sometimes "cooler" isn't always better. Sometimes the head will cool the engine too much through the infield and make the engine load up, making the engine hard to tune in order to run consistently.

Don't tune by smoke. Most racing fuels now don't produce any smoke, so it's impossible to use this as a measurement.

D Mac - Along with the threads like Casper said, the end of the plug is more conical in shape (they are sometimes called conical plugs), which is meant to fit the shape of the head button and make for a more uniform shaped combustion chamber.

kj - That post was super dope. Who was that, Jesse?

Don't feel bad about waiting for your truck..I'm pacing back and forth for mine also.

I'm twisting arms to make it to Columbus this year, cross your fingers!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:24 AM   #1623
Tech Adept

Thanks alot all!

So all these crowds of people that whinge that the .12 CV runs too hot are actually wrong? I really don't think O.S. would make a mistake that big, and keep that mistake in production for 10 years...Then again guys, O/S. do offer the Hyper head range, which is much bigger....go figure.

Well can anybody give me an idea of what temps i should be keeping the CV between? (i know NOT to tune by temperature).

I tune my engines by ear and eye, the fuel i run is pretty cheap, but i've found it to be the best stuff my LHS has. Some fuels were horrible, foamy, staining, foul smelling......

One more question....Those Parma Speed Scents additives...are they bad for a nitro motor or glow plug?

Considering buying some...
jamiekulhanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:24 PM   #1624
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

Where I race, its like 40 degrees in the warehouse/pit area....so the engines are air cooled like you can't believe.....but I've learned that once my LSN is dialed, I tune the top end to run at about 220. My car rips!

We're racing on a pretty small indoor track so we're dialing our radios to open the carb only 2/3 for wide open....thats really all we need. This way, we save a ton of gas. I'm runnin' like 13 minute pit stops.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #1625
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I believe that long post about the heads that provide extra cooling is more aimed at the really big ones like crazy nut racing heads. The duratrax head and odonell for the cv isn't really the same. They really just bring the cv to normal standards rather than the cheesy head it comes with. Probably why the motor is only 80 bux. I'm sure you can run the stock head no problem. I changed mine if for nothing more than looks. I ported my motor and run it around 204 degrees all the time. If you tune by ear and how it feels you shouldn't need any starting points. Just set to factory specs and go from there as you normally do.

AW, hope you make it to ohio races. I'd like to watch you race. Dave, hope you can make it to.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:20 PM   #1626
Tech Elite

Aaron,

I think I just committed one of the RC 7 deadly sins...but I'm not sure.....My LHS and every other one here is fully out of Odonell gas in any percentage and isn't sure they can get any before Christmas! So....I bought Trinity 20%. I was running Odonell 20% and the engine has only one gallon of it run through it. Is this change going to be a problem. I kind of have to for now because I seriouesly can't get Odonell.

Thanks!

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
Old 12-03-2004, 04:44 PM   #1627
Tech Elite

jbrow - You are right about the head thing. Running the OD or Duratrax head on the CV isn't a problem at all. I ran that head on my CV's back in the day *wipes tear*.

I'm going to try my best to make it to the Mid-Winters and either an X-Dome or Dirt Country race.

mafia - Aside from the fact that your engine is going to run better with less gooey nonsense all over, no harm will be done . Don't be afraid if you have to re-tune, your engine will probably run a tad different for a tank or so.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:00 PM   #1628
Tech Adept

Ya that was Jesse, what gave it away, the non puctuation & run on sentence's.

I have also heard of running the O'donnel head on an OS motor, that worked good. Most guys around here run there OS-CV, CVR, TR's around 240-250.
dkj-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:26 PM   #1629
Tech Elite

From what I hear you don't want to run your cv over 220 because the sleeve is nickel plated, not chrome plated like the cv-r and other motors. So the higher temps will ruin the pinch faster.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:38 PM   #1630
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
mafia - Aside from the fact that your engine is going to run better with less gooey nonsense all over,
WO...that opens a whole new can of worms....I have noticed taht when I'm doing my incredibly overdone engine cleaning....when I spray out the pipe, a ton of orang-ish-yellow sludge comes out....is that the "gooey nonsense" you're talking about? If it is, then I don't want to go back to Odonell....that stuff is gross!

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
Old 12-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #1631
Tech Elite

Hey Casper, was that you I just saw in the Xtreme RC mag? Posted in the finishing order of Open Gas Truck? If so, congrats!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:42 PM   #1632
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Was that for the reedy truck race? If so yeah that was me!
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:23 PM   #1633
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by jbrow1
From what I hear you don't want to run your cv over 220 because the sleeve is nickel plated, not chrome plated like the cv-r and other motors. So the higher temps will ruin the pinch faster.
Duratrax offers an O.S. .12/.15 ABC sleeve/piston kit for $19.99, or you can buy the stock O.S. ABN for $49.99.....Naturally being in my position I would want to go for the duratrax cause it's cheaper and ABC...

BUT

Is this a case of "You get what you pay for" i.e. pay peanuts etc.

Has anybody tried that duratrax ABC piston/liners?

Also, one more question, i know this question is gonna have greatly differeing answers, but how much fuel were you guys putting through the stock ABN piston/sleeve before it began losing compression and performance?
jamiekulhanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:05 AM   #1634
Tech Adept

Hi there! I was wondering what engine/pipe combo you run on your 1/8th buggy? What's your experiences with the Jammin' pipes? Thanks A LOT!
JCathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:00 AM   #1635
Tech Elite

Jamie, I got about two gallons out of the stock p/s. Still ran good I just replaced it b/c I wanted a "new" motor since I was racing so often. I replaced it with a duratrax unit. I've got about two gallons on that now too, and it's still running strong. Some people think it's cheap and not good. I'll say the ports don't look near as nice as the stock set. Kinda ugly, but you only pay 20 bux. It didn't matter to me anyways b/c I ported it before I ever even tried it.

I think I'll get more life expectancy out of the motor now. I was running them up to 260 once in awhile. The duratrax set saw 300 the first time I raced it due to an air leak. My problem was I was trying to compesate for very high gearing, by leaning it out to get some low end back. I was racing a very slick track and kept spinning out. High gearing solved that, but couldn't hit the big jumps.

Anyhow I learned some throttle control, changed my gearing back to where it should be, and now run it consistently at 204.

Last edited by jbrow1; 12-04-2004 at 11:07 AM.