R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #16
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I agree. There's not too much to a nitro engine. Lean or rich I can deal with. Air leak I'm confident I can find. Intermittent rich, then lean is what had me post this.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Im no where new to this hobby either... Been racing nitro for about 5 years.. this engine does not work for racing it is very unreliable... i guess if you were bashing and did not care about moments of leaning out then it would be fine...

We tried everything to get this motor to run right... tanks,position of tank,nitro content, standing the motor more vertical and every kind of pipe and header you could put on a revo... just about everything u can try and you would still get lean while turning one direction and rich the other...

I recently tried one more attempt about a week ago to make this motor run because it baffles me... I used 16/40 gearing which stands the motor more vertical and ran it on 20 percent fuel... It seems like that would work for bashing but i still did notice a turn bog and lean... But it did run so maybe you could try that.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
Suspended

BTW this is for bashing. We just want to get it running half decent so it wasn't a total waste.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Well I have 3 of these turds .One is new in box,the other 2 have been raced.Both engines began to give me the same type of tuning issues out of the blue.I finally noticed the block was cracked right along the top of the engine mount.I really could not see it from the outside just noticed wet spot when engine was under load.When I took it apart I saw an extremely thin line running right along the engine mount from inside when I removed the back plate.I took the other engine down and found exactly the same thing.I would check this right away,as I know I am not the only one to find this,a design or manufacturing flaw in my opinion.Same side cracked on both too.That may have something to do with a left/right turn stuff too although I did not really notice that much.The inside of the engine is a work of art,looks cool from the outside too,great power for hitting the big doubles and triples,but reliability seems to be an issue.Before my problems though it ran fine and was not hard to tune.RB did step up and take care of me after a few calls so I will give credit to RB USA in Texas,Thanks for manning up!
CHOAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #20
Suspended

Thanks CHOAS. Could you tell me which side of the block to check? That really seems like my problem as an intermittent air leak. And being if I punch it, it's lean, I think it would be the outside (so throttle would twist it).
Old 03-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #21
Tech Master

I thought about mine a little more and I do remember having carb problems with it. I ended up running a carb of off one of my C6's and that made the tune a lot more consistent. I would check for the crack in the block like CHAOS says tho because I know what most people do with a Revo (same thing I used to do) and really hard crashing/cartwheeling and huge jumps can and will crack a crank case.
Chris Peralta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #22
Tech Rookie

Another thing you can check is the starter pin that goes through the back plate. They leak air like a siv. Everyone that has come through here that has been run are worn out with in a gallon. Front bearing are crap too just like the man said
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #23
Suspended

Thanks everyone for the input. I spoke with him today and he said it's getting better with every tank through it. He is a newb, so I'll check on it again. Possible just break in not complete? I've just never had an engine behave like that due to break in not complete. I'm currenly breaking in my OS 28 XZ and it's slobbering rich, but you can tell it's running like it's supposed to...