Wiki Posts
Search

Revo 3.3 engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Revo 3.3 engine problems

Buddy of mine has a Reve that doesnt want idle consistently. The piston/sleeve were just replaced. After the install, the engine wouldnt fire at all (no fuel pressure). We swapped tanks with another Revo he had and that took care of the fuel delivery issue. Starts and seems to run well but doesnt want to idle at a decent RPM. Clutch bearings are good. No fuel on the bottom of the crankcase to indicate the front bearing is bad but, there is fuel/oil around the carb area. The slide boot was inspected and seems free of any damage. No residue near the base of the fuel nipple was observed. Any other ideas or suggestions on where the fuel might be coming from?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by madweazl
Buddy of mine has a Reve that doesnt want idle consistently. The piston/sleeve were just replaced. After the install, the engine wouldnt fire at all (no fuel pressure). We swapped tanks with another Revo he had and that took care of the fuel delivery issue. Starts and seems to run well but doesnt want to idle at a decent RPM. Clutch bearings are good. No fuel on the bottom of the crankcase to indicate the front bearing is bad but, there is fuel/oil around the carb area. The slide boot was inspected and seems free of any damage. No residue near the base of the fuel nipple was observed. Any other ideas or suggestions on where the fuel might be coming from?
I'd take the carb apart and check for damage, there are a couple of plugs with orings if i remember correctly on the 3.3, you could also have a damaged hsn or lsn seat. just curious, did you seal the motor?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TUNE IT. low end sounds fat.......... IMO
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mudboger07
I'd take the carb apart and check for damage, there are a couple of plugs with orings if i remember correctly on the 3.3, you could also have a damaged hsn or lsn seat. just curious, did you seal the motor?
No, the engine wasnt sealed nor will it be.

TUNE IT. low end sounds fat.......... IMO
Unlikely that it is a tuning issue. Needles were placed at factory settings for the break in of the new P/S. I did lean it out from that point considerably thinking it might be an issue but it did nothing to correct the issue. I set it back to the factory settings after that.

The idle will be real high one second, then drop, high, mid, die etc. This happens with the electronics turned off and the throttle linkage in the same position.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
No, the engine wasnt sealed nor will it be.

Unlikely that it is a tuning issue. Needles were placed at factory settings for the break in of the new P/S. I did lean it out from that point considerably thinking it might be an issue but it did nothing to correct the issue. I set it back to the factory settings after that.

The idle will be real high one second, then drop, high, mid, die etc. This happens with the electronics turned off and the throttle linkage in the same position.

OK I still say tuning issue............if not, air leak
Old 03-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

An inconsistent idle usually means an air leak. I would get a block on ebay for 15.00 with the bearings and swap out. If you return to factory setting on an engine that has a break in or some run time it will be rich so I would lean it down a little. GeeJay is right it can be rich on the low if its hard to start. Pinch test at 3 1/2 to 4 secs on these motors is usually golden. I make sure my idle gap is set at .08 or 1 and leave it there. Idle can be controled on the lsn, to high the lsn is lean to lw or die its rich. Check all the obvious then try a block replacement.