R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Tree
Default Nitro Battery Box Charging

I want to charge my Lipo batteries without having to disconnect and remove them from the battery box. I have a switch that has a charge lead. I was thinking about drilling a small hole in the battery box to feed the charging lead through but I don't want to damage the insulation on the wires and I don't want the charge lead wire to come out and get tangled up in my drive train . My question is how are you guys charging your battereis without having to open the battey box and/or remove the battery and how are you securing the the wires so they don't get caught in your drive train? Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
I want to charge my Lipo batteries without having to disconnect and remove them from the battery box. I have a switch that has a charge lead. I was thinking about drilling a small hole in the battery box to feed the charging lead through but I don't want to damage the insulation on the wires and I don't want the charge lead wire to come out and get tangled up in my drive train . My question is how are you guys charging your battereis without having to open the battey box and/or remove the battery and how are you securing the the wires so they don't get caught in your drive train? Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I will not mess around with lipo bru - I would take them out and check the pack and charge in cool area.
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geejay View Post
I will not mess around with lipo bru - I would take them out and check the pack and charge in cool area.
Also, if you are using a 4 cell lipo, you should be good to go for quite some time. They need charging about 1/2 as often as the NiMH batts you probably replaced
rfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Pull the pack out and charge it outside of the vehicle. Takes like a minute to pull it out. That way you can check the pack over and make sure there is no damage. If you try to charge a damaged lipo you could end up with a big fire ball for a buggy. Now wouldn't you feel silly for not just pulling the pack out to charge it. It's very rare that, that happens, but it does and I've seen it(not in a car though).

Lol Ron, 4 cell lipo? You must have some good servos to handle 14.8 volts.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Always take your battery out of your car or truck you never know when it may catch on fire. It happen to me and luckly I was setting right there when it happen and caught it before it went up in flames. I know it's a pain in the ass but it's worth it
J.Sears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Tree

The reason I asked was because I saw a gut just plug up his charger straight to the battery in his truggy's battery box. He didn't open the box or removed the battery. I thought he was using lipos. I'll just continue removing the battery from my rig. Better to be on the safe side.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
The reason I asked was because I saw a gut just plug up his charger straight to the battery in his truggy's battery box. He didn't open the box or removed the battery. I thought he was using lipos. I'll just continue removing the battery from my rig. Better to be on the safe side.
Another thing is I like to balance charge my packs every charge(very overkill, especially for receiver packs) and you wouldn't be able to do that in the vehicle unless you had the balance tap exposed too.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to CaribbeanPirate Send a message via MSN to CaribbeanPirate

Quote:
I've charged my 2S Lipo while still in the battery box and haven't had a problem.. But it is recommendable to take it out. In any case i think your best bet is to at least remove the tray cover and plug in your battery to the charger, don't drill more holes into your tray then more dust can come in and damage your receiver and electronics... and I would say never leave any cables loose or dangling around your car for any purpose.
CaribbeanPirate is offline   Reply With Quote