R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TIRE GLUEING TECHNIQUES

Share your expert tips. I still struggle with this. Getting better -but still not pretty. Step by step pics and advice would be great. I have tried e-tape and the bands. How do you guyd do it?
JonnyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyW View Post
Share your expert tips. I still struggle with this. Getting better -but still not pretty. Step by step pics and advice would be great. I have tried e-tape and the bands. How do you guyd do it?
Take your time and you dont need half a bottle of glue for one tire.
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Best method, buy premounts! But seriously I have trouble too! I can get the tire all setup with panther tire bands(buggy) or tape(truggy) but still struggle with the actual glueing. I'm not sure if you need to slightly lift the edge to allow glue to get in. When I do that, sometimes the tire moves a little and I end up with a crooked bead. I'm not sure if you just use the straw to run a light bead around the tire and wheel if the glue just 'wicks' in or not. I've been considering trying a needle type oiler for a glue bottle so that I can push the metal 'straw' between the tire and wheel to ensure a good bead. I think it will work great but not sure how easy it'll be to keep the tip from plugging. Looking fwd to some good responses here.
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

I dry mount the tires, then use the 3 finger technique. I place 3 fingers on the edge of the tire and use the 2 outer fingers to pull back on the tire to expose the bead and the middle finger to press down slightly to almost make a channel for the glue to follow. I use a few dabs of glue at a time and work my way all the way around the tire, stopping every 1/4 of a tire or so to make sure things are staying in line properly.

Granted I have only glued up 4 or 5 sets of tires thus far using this method...none have had issues in over a year now. I saw a video outlining this technique on YouTube awhile back...been using it every since.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babygrand48 View Post
Best method, buy premounts! But seriously I have trouble too! I can get the tire all setup with panther tire bands(buggy) or tape(truggy) but still struggle with the actual glueing. I'm not sure if you need to slightly lift the edge to allow glue to get in. When I do that, sometimes the tire moves a little and I end up with a crooked bead. I'm not sure if you just use the straw to run a light bead around the tire and wheel if the glue just 'wicks' in or not. I've been considering trying a needle type oiler for a glue bottle so that I can push the metal 'straw' between the tire and wheel to ensure a good bead. I think it will work great but not sure how easy it'll be to keep the tip from plugging. Looking fwd to some good responses here.
AKA tire glue comes with a tiny tube, works great. Just thumb back the bead enough to get the tube down in a little. Makes the job much easyer. Its a medium compound, so it gives you a little time to line the bead up.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Losi glue has the tube also but it's too soft to just push between the tire and wheel. That's why I want to try the metal needle from an oiler, hoping that I can slide it between and just run it around. I use the medium too and it still dries quick enough that you can't move the tire if a mistake is made. I do clean wheel and tire with alcohol before gluing and this seems to make the glue set very quickly, even the medium.
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Toothpick?

I think I remember reading that the little slave girls in China doing the premounts used a toothpick dipped in a jar of CA. I flyfish and ty flys and have jar that has a metal pick in the cap. I thought about trying to use that next time. Its strong enough to push between the bead and you can put the cap on to keep it fresh. I have also tried the slow set with kicker spray. But it seems like I had more beads come loose.
JonnyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My latest glue job is definitely my best ever and my methods are always the same. Prepping the tire and rim by sanding to create a rough surface for the glue to penetrate and washing thoroughly to get rid of any oil residues from production. Seating the tire and foam fully, pulling back a small area to apply the glue and working clockwise around the tire. After a complete revolution, applying at the seam between tire and rim face if necessary. Then using electrical tape to wrap the tire at least twice. Tire bands are nice but e tape is free to me and you can stretch it to make it super tight.
Hobbymasters, Red Bank, NJ
Venom Group
marshon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to CaribbeanPirate Send a message via MSN to CaribbeanPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshon50 View Post
My latest glue job is definitely my best ever and my methods are always the same. Prepping the tire and rim by sanding to create a rough surface for the glue to penetrate and washing thoroughly to get rid of any oil residues from production. Seating the tire and foam fully, pulling back a small area to apply the glue and working clockwise around the tire. After a complete revolution, applying at the seam between tire and rim face if necessary. Then using electrical tape to wrap the tire at least twice. Tire bands are nice but e tape is free to me and you can stretch it to make it super tight.
This is the same technique I use, and I think is the best way... sanding the tires and rims before applying the glue (Losi and Aka have worked great for me with the tubing - nice idea with the metal needle). I've never had a loose tire either on nitro or electric, and you know those electrics have a tendency to destroy tires and foam.
CaribbeanPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanPirate View Post
This is the same technique I use, and I think is the best way... sanding the tires and rims before applying the glue (Losi and Aka have worked great for me with the tubing - nice idea with the metal needle). I've never had a loose tire either on nitro or electric, and you know those electrics have a tendency to destroy tires and foam.
^ + 1 sanding helps very much for the bond. And i use a q-tip with lacqure thinner and wipe around the bead right before i glue, and that last go around with the glue is your extra safty net......
Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Tech Elite

You dont need a techique to glue tyres as long as the tyre is made for the rim and is of thicker rubber from what they provide today .

We at cobra have developed a glue for tyres which leaves no residue but once you have applied the glue to the bead you hold the tyre for aprox 20 seconds on each side and the job is done.

our tyres are made to fit any rim perfectly without the use of rubber bands .

The tyre of today are made so thin like a condom that the bead area warps and distorts while glueing making it a real headache to glue .Thin but more expensive can't work it out.
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i use 2 10" zip ties together for the bands. i can set the tension as tight as i want and with small screwdriver i can re-use them over and over. buggy tires i glue the far inside bead first then the main bead. on truggy tires i glue the borrom bead first then the top bead then a thin outer bead to fill in any gaps. always be sure to sand the tires down first, all brands, thn wipe off the tire dust with cotton and alcohol. and never use losi glue. greatplanes mid has worked best for me, gives me time to work and not try to rush.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

search tire glueing on youtube there are a few vids by nitro house and others, that should get you started.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smb17

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
smb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Has anyone had positive outcome when not going through the preparation stages? I have heard from several people that they don't sand or clean the tires/wheels. They simply glue the tires right to the wheels and claim they dont have any issues. Can anyone here back that up with personal experiences?
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote