Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #46
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Thanks Monty!

I'm holdin' it down for the geriatric bunch

I'm going to announce my new deal with Centrum Silver next week..
um ya , thats exactly what you need is another deal

oh bouy
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)
Default slow glue?

Who makes a tire glue that gives 20-30 seconds to get the tire positioned?
djs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #48
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs101 View Post
Who makes a tire glue that gives 20-30 seconds to get the tire positioned?
Anyone??
Old 04-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #49
am
Tech Master

I also use Loctite glue, but you can not just buy any of the Loctite glues.

You need to get the 406 or the faste rone 4062. I perfer the 406 as the 4062 is very thin and dries up very fast.

I have tested atleast 15 types of glue, and all of the major brands avalible here in Norway. The only glue i trust is Loctite 406.

406 is made for gluing plastic and rubber. This is the glue that professionla divers have in their Oring repair kits, military use in their oring kits, there just is not a better glue you can buy.

Huston stated that there are spesial glues made to RC for a reasson, maybe it is but they aint half as good as loctite 406. Sadly 406 is very expensive, but if you have one set of tires come loose, you have spend more mony than you save on the RC brand glues.

I like AKA tires, alot, but the only tires that have come loose for me last 4 years is AKA preglued tires. I know get AKA and glue them myself with 406.

Dremel the tire with a sanding drum,clean witch water ( yea water! ) because alot of the motorsprays drags oil out of the tires ( depending on brand of tires you use, Espesially Medial Proback in the days) and clean the rim with motorpray or alkohol. Then glue with 406. I use Panther rubber thingis to hold the tire to the rim for the 406 to cure. If you do this right, you will never have a tire come loose again.

Before using Loctit 406, i was so tired of tires coming loose that i first glued tires on the outside of the tires as normal, then i turned tire inside out to glue them on the inside also. Putting the inserts back in and glue the back of the tire.
Top Elite distributor Norway
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #50
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs101 View Post
Anyone??
These are available in 3 versions with different setting times. I have never tried them before though.

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000001525
Hotseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #51
Tech Adept

I would rather jackoff with a cheese gratter than glue tires. But when I have to I found taking my time and prepping correctly is the best method. I still have blowouts though.
tmo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #52
Tech Master

Thanks for the info guys! I do a good job prepping the tires & wheels but have trouble getting the tire positioned before the glue sets sometimes, need a slower setting glue.
Thanks again!!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #53
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

A couple of weekend ago I watched Mitch, (owns M2C clutches, etc.) gluing up tires for another racer. He had a very simple device made out of plywood. Basically a box with a hinged lid with a hole in the center. Set the tire in it, close the lid, it pushes down on the bead, he glued it, flipped it over and did the other side. Took a about 30 seconds per side. Neat, with no mess. I'm going to build one this week for myself.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
A couple of weekend ago I watched Mitch, (owns M2C clutches, etc.) gluing up tires for another racer. He had a very simple device made out of plywood. Basically a box with a hinged lid with a hole in the center. Set the tire in it, close the lid, it pushes down on the bead, he glued it, flipped it over and did the other side. Took a about 30 seconds per side. Neat, with no mess. I'm going to build one this week for myself.
Could you post some pics of it when done?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #55
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUAddicts View Post
Could you post some pics of it when done?
Sure, but just imagine a box made from wood. The thickness of the box itself lookedto be just a little less than the thickness of the tire. The lid was flat, hinged to the box on one side, with a locking clasp on the other. It had a hole in the lid that was slightly larger than the wheel. He just set the wheel/tire combo in the box, closed the lid and clasped it. The lid pushed the bead back perfectly even all the way around. He glued it, opened the box, put a ban on it, flipped it over and did the other side. Looked really simple, and worked awesome.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #56
Tech Master

I bought a tire gluing fixture on Ebay for around $50 + shipping that's made that way. For some tires it works good, others not so good. With a slower setting glue it may work better tho.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #57
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

This works great for me. Only mounts 1/8 buggy as a truggy tire is too large.

http://dirtrc.com/product_info.php?products_id=30
Keith Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #58
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hmm, I think getting the right glue might do the job well for you. when I first learn how to glue tire, I used those foam safe glue that I used for my plane, it works but after one round you can see the tire start coming out.

I use AKA tires and decided to purchase the AKA glue and I don't have anymore problem. What I usually do is to mount the tires (with foam inside) onto the wheel and let it stay there for about 10 to 15 mins to give the tire time to reshape itself.

After which, I simply press the side bit by bit and glue them making sure I get the glue on the tip of the wheel (the bottom part). I think some people just tend to glue the top part only. When you first put the glue, open and close the gap a few times allowing the glue to spread itself, wipe the access and move on till I finish one round. I will than let it stay for another 10 to 15 mins before I glue the back, same process.

Once the glue all dried, I will roll the tires by putting some pressure to make sure all stick well and will recheck again the next day to sure everything is fine.

I don't use any rubber band to hold the tire or anything and it works. Follow Ryan advise and no more problem for me. Of course you should always maintain your tires by checking them after run to ensure the glue stay and they do, any bit of opening you just glue them again before it gets bigger.

http://redarmyandme.wordpress.com/20...it-stay-glued/
Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #59
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Lewis View Post
This works great for me. Only mounts 1/8 buggy as a truggy tire is too large.

http://dirtrc.com/product_info.php?products_id=30
Cool looks good nice and easy! Are there any good tricks to help stop blooning?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxnz View Post
Cool looks good nice and easy! Are there any good tricks to help stop blooning?
Not using full throttle while stuck on a pipe or changing to a heavier center diff fluid if your front wheels are blooning down the straight. Some people also tape the inside of the tire and foam to reduce the tire's expansion.
Keith Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote