R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Newbie with fuel question?

Hey newbie with a question: i just ordered a Savage X4.6 never had a nitro before. i know I need 20% fuel, but which is the best? I was looking around and some are just 20% others are 20% +16% lubricant (Sidewinder or the O'donnell) so which one do I need?

Also do any glow starter works? I was looking at the the HPI one, same as for their fuel bottle. In any case what other accessories will I need?

Thanks
snakemau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

I've personally had the best and most consistent performance from Byrons, Trinity and Wildcat fuel. You'll find a lot of partially sponsored drivers that will recommend the boutique brand that sponsors them, but the aforementioned have produced consistent power, keep the engine running well, and are very effective at preventing corrosion. I'm not sponsored by any of the aforementioned - I've just had very good experience with them.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Either of the two you listed will be good for the Savage. I have tried both O'Donnell and Sidewinder in the Savage. I run O'Donnell now but still really like Sidewinder.

As for glow ignitor's. I would recommend the Hot Shot, but they all do the same thing. Don't get suckered into paying more for the gauge to tell you if the plug is good. Most of the time the gauges break anyway. I am not saying avoid them, but don't go paying more then another one because it has the gauge.

Here is a link to the igniter I recommend:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...hot-2-Standard

OR

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ot-Shot-2-Long

My favorite fuel bottle is the Losi one. The HPI one works fine but I am not a huge fan because the bottle is very stiff and can be a pain if you are racing and trying to be quick to get out of the pits. I the Losi bottle. I glue in the plug that goes into the bottle and then make sure there will never be a leak.

Here is the bottle I recommend:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...cc-Fuel-Bottle

If you don't have one yet maybe a temp gun to check your tuning. Don't use the temp gun to tune your motor. But use it to check how your motor is and where it likes to be run. Tune your motor for performance not temps. If your engine likes running at 190* or 270* run it at that. As for tempgun I recommend the Duratrax Flashpoint. It's cheap but does the job without a problem.

Here is a link to the tempgun I recommend
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...perature-Gauge

Also grab yourself some spare glow plugs. They can last 1 tank or over 1 gallon. So it's always good to have a spare. I liked the MC#8 when I have my 4.6 Savage.

Here is a link to the plug
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...um-Glow-Plug-1
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Totally disagree with the guage on the ignitor - been using the same ignitor for 4 years and have no problems, when the glow plug is bad, I dont have to fight for hours trying to figure out the problem.
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 139 (99%+)

I like O donnel fuel. I have a buddy that has a savage and runs Odonnel fuel