R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Custom Set Up Board (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/378516-custom-set-up-board.html)

dishsoap 03-09-2010 09:39 PM

Custom Set Up Board

Sorry if this has been answered before.

Looking to make or pick up a set up board from lowes or home depot or somewhere like that.

What do suggest and what dimensions do I need 1/8 scale buggy

dishsoap 03-09-2010 11:37 PM

I guess what I am really looking for is the size and the material

Alan D. 03-10-2010 12:29 AM

A friend of mine used plexiglass for his set up board. Don't know the size though. I have a set up bored I can measure tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it.

SteveP 03-10-2010 01:09 AM

A lot depends on whether you're using set-up gauges. If that's the case, then you want a material that's going to be as flat and stiff as possible, and one that's going to have a fairly slippery surface. You can use plexiglas, but it will eventually warp and scratch, which doesn't let the set-up gauges settle completely. Doing so ensures that the suspension is completely unloaded and you get more accurate readings from your gauges. Some racers use thick tempered glass, but the negatives are obvious. Hudy makes one of the best. It's light, rigid and the surface is slick. I have a big slab O' granite, but it stays at home. It's about 300 pounds. ;o)

Click here for info on the Hudy set-up board with dimensions.

This board is big enough for a truggy, which certainly gives you enough room for a buggy. You can save money buying a piece of raw material, but to get something that will be better than this will probably cost more.

The Working Man 03-10-2010 01:56 AM

Marine " Star Board" used on a lot of boats for dash boards and trim work. Comes in any size and with you can think of and is very light.

mudboger07 03-10-2010 06:21 AM

Look at wally world for a glass cutting board, they are temperd so they dont break easly and only cost a few dollars..

Roelof 03-10-2010 07:41 AM

Go into the world of Dibond. This material can be found in several thickness and is made of a plastick plate with on both sides a layer of aluminium which makes it very stiff.

The funny thing is that advertisement companies can print on this material and so you can create your own design and print it.

Bill Wyatt 03-10-2010 07:50 AM

I actually bought the Hudy truggy board and cut it down 1 inch so it fit into the setup board pocket on my hauler bag...and the truggy still fits on the board with the gauges...but when I cut it I found that it's just a dense particle board inside (almost like MDF) and it's covered with a laminate...I just used plastic epoxy to put the black edge band back on and it works like a charm..so I would think if you are looking to go inexpensively you could get a melamine shelf from Home Depot or Lowes and cut it down to your requirements then edge band it yourself with a nice piece of wood or whatever.

Or just buy a Hudy board...LOL

Integra 03-10-2010 02:59 PM

i use a piece of melamine counter top....lasts a while and is cheap enough to replace when it gets dinged and nicked. :nod:

dishsoap 03-10-2010 04:15 PM

Thanks everyone.

Next question. Say you are pitting on a table that is not even. What do you use to balance the board so that it is level.

Integra 03-10-2010 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by dishsoap (Post 7118884)
Thanks everyone.

Next question. Say you are pitting on a table that is not even. What do you use to balance the board so that it is level.

overkill if you ask me....get a thick enough board and you wont have to worry what's underneath...as long as your not on a drafting table ;) you should be good to go.

terribleswiss 03-10-2010 07:32 PM

I use a 20x24inch piece of 1/2inch acrylic sheet with aluminum standoffs in each corner. works really well and cost about 30 bucks

Roelof 03-11-2010 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by dishsoap (Post 7118884)
Thanks everyone.

Use 3 spacers, on one short side on every corner one and in the middle of the other short side one.