Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
4910 Maxx brakes [actually it DOESNT brake] >

4910 Maxx brakes [actually it DOESNT brake]

4910 Maxx brakes [actually it DOESNT brake]

Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Unhappy 4910 Maxx brakes [actually it DOESNT brake]

I've been problems stopping my maxx, the trucks probably 5 years old, I've never messed with the brakes it used to do nose wheelies when i would hit the brakes hard, I just tried to adjust the linkage a little bit an I'm going to test it now. Should I take the rotor off an hit it with sand paper or a scotchbrite pad to rough up the surface, or is this the perfect excuse to get a SS brake disc.. any input is welcome,thanks for reading.

-Greg
Old 03-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can try to rough it up. If your servo is that old it might be going out also. It may not have enough power to pull on the linkage.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

the servo is a JR Z590M, It was installed maybe a year ago max, But the truck wasnt being run often during that time. I also had to go to 2WD because of the fact that I tore up the rear diff, so I used the front diff in its place an took out the 4wd components, could that be why I'm expieriencing such crappy braking because I only have the rear wheels braking? I know I should expect some loss but this doesn't seem right.
-Greg
Old 03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah. That is most likely your problem (only RWD). Are the rear wheels locking up when you hit the brakes? Its been a while since I worked on a maxx but the braking mechanism is on the center driveshaft that leads to the front diff right? Did you take too much of the front driveline out?
Old 03-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

I took all of the front driveline out, only thing thats left are the spindles in the hubs, an the U joint that comes out of the front of the trans
Old 03-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cisco904
I took all of the front driveline out, only thing thats left are the spindles in the hubs, an the U joint that comes out of the front of the trans
thats enough to hold the brake rotor and since the front diff is out that takes about 80% of the brakeing away from the stock set up i would suggest upgrading the brakes if the back is not locking up on you but if the back is locking up there is not a whole lot than can change this that i know of
Old 03-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm going to probably end up putting the 4wd back in, and just drive it in 2wd since its already together an the diff is already on the bench, I didn't realize it would have this drastic of a effect on the trucks performance, an with limited slip if one wheel even begins to lift in a turn, its just wasting power an tire tread, does anyone remember whats required for the dual disc setups that were popular a few years ago?