R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Ninja Crank in a V-Spec (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/377378-ninja-crank-v-spec.html)

akiyama77 03-06-2010 08:55 PM

Ninja Crank in a V-Spec

anybody put a ninja 21JX crank in a v-spec? if so how does it perform? I'm curious, and I might try it

jmaxey51 03-06-2010 10:37 PM

i was talking to a guy at the track and he takes a v-spec and puts all ninja parts (crank, rod, piston and sleeve) in the v-spec case and all. he said it has more power (it looked like a TON more power) and also better fuel consumption. he was pitting around 11 min in a buggy.

but i think if you put a crank in it you'll have to put the ninja rod also but i may be wrong about that.

skoalisbad4me 03-07-2010 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by jmaxey51 (Post 7100961)
i was talking to a guy at the track and he takes a v-spec and puts all ninja parts (crank, rod, piston and sleeve) in the v-spec case and all. he said it has more power (it looked like a TON more power) and also better fuel consumption. he was pitting around 11 min in a buggy.

but i think if you put a crank in it you'll have to put the ninja rod also but i may be wrong about that.

it seems like if you put all those parts in it, the only thing left that is the v-spec part is the case and the carb. so how is it that it is getting better fuel milage and more power than the ninja when essentially it is a ninja??? :confused::confused::confused:

Jaz240 03-07-2010 12:49 PM

I would think case volume, and deck height might be different..but thats just my guess

MassiveMods 03-07-2010 12:50 PM

You got 2 different rod centre lenghts with these engiens so if you change the crank change it with the respective rod ..

my guess is it will idle weird and then go liek the clakkers up top

JAMMINKRAZY 03-07-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by MassiveMods (Post 7102890)
You got 2 different rod centre lenghts with these engiens so if you change the crank change it with the respective rod ..

my guess is it will idle weird and then go liek the clakkers up top

I don't think that's correct. The ninja rod and speed rods are identical. Lots of people, myself included use the ninja/speed rod in a standard v-spec. It doesn't change anything performance wise, but is much tougher than the standard v-spec rod. The crank dimensions are also identical between the 3 engines(speed, ninja, v-spec).

As for the ninja crank in a v-spec, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work great. You would need the ninja/speed rod to go with it, but that's a must for the v-spec anyway even with the stock crank. I haven't tried it yet, but always have wanted to. I may give this a shot too and see how it goes. My guess is a bit snappier bottom end due to the lightened/silicone filled crank. The ninja crank is also a lot more durable because of the DLC coating.;)

am 03-07-2010 01:37 PM

Massivmods, i think maybe you think of the old GRP ninja? The OS Ninja is same bore/stroke as the V-spec/speed.

I got some info that the Nonja enigne has bigger crankcase volume than the V-spec and this is why you get more power from the V-spec case.

The ninja crank has araound 210-214 degrees of duration while the v-spec is araund 220-223. In theory, the V-spec crank will have more outright power, if you compare timingwise, but thre is alot! of other factors in witch crank is the easyer one to drive and gives you the best laptimes.

dreaux 03-07-2010 02:46 PM

i have had a vspec and a ninja.

the vspec has more power.

smokinu 03-07-2010 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by dreaux (Post 7103304)
i have had a vspec and a ninja.

the vspec has more power.

thats funny!
i dont care who you are... leave it to Dreaux to claim this.

dreaux 03-07-2010 03:12 PM

i never said i was right:lol:

dreaux 03-07-2010 03:14 PM

are the carbs the same??? The one on the ninja looks a little bigger to me. I think it's a little harder to tune as well.

JAMMINKRAZY 03-07-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by dreaux (Post 7103394)
i never said i was right:lol:

:lol:

Well the v-spec does have a different powerband than the ninja. I wouldn't say either one is more powerful, but they are different. The v-spec has slightly more bottom end from my experience with both engines. That can be attributed to it's 3 port sleeve vs. the 5 port sleeve of the ninja.;)

JAMMINKRAZY 03-07-2010 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by dreaux (Post 7103399)
are the carbs the same??? The one on the ninja looks a little bigger to me. I think it's a little harder to tune as well.

LoL, Yes dreaux, they are the same carb. Both use the OS 21J carb. That is as of 2008. Before that the V-spec used the OS 21C carb I believe it was.;)

skoalisbad4me 03-07-2010 03:17 PM

but you would also be putting all of these great parts (out of the ninja) in the crappy weak case of the v-spec that cracks constantly. just doesnt make any sense to me why anyone would do this

dreaux 03-07-2010 03:20 PM

the track i go to is very tight. I am getting another sleeve and crank.

I am thinking a 3 port P/S with a ninja crank.

I already have a new rod. This should be a good match right?

BTW, was at the track today and my engine died a couple times, took the body off and the filter had fell off!! It was tie wraped and everything.

When i took the air filter off the carburator was full of dirt (i have no idea how long i ran it like that). Sure nuff the engine was shot. No compression after that. Kept flaming out no matter what i did.:flaming:

It only had about 2 gallons on it.