Wiki Posts
Search

Ninja Crank in a V-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Speed/Ninja crank

I have a Speed and what they said about the speed crank with tung weights is correct, it also has the black coating, not sure how to tell about the timing. Our speed motor is great, it is blaistic, off on power, thats why we tried the ninja, it has smooth power, but inconsistent tuning. I ended up puting our backup V-Spec in just before the main,its been in the box for 3 months, I just leaned it out 1 hr on top after the warm up, and after the main it came off at 230, OS solid consistent motor, but I'mstill gonna try just swapping the cranks and I'll let you guys know how it does
Old 03-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me
it seems like if you put all those parts in it, the only thing left that is the v-spec part is the case and the carb. so how is it that it is getting better fuel milage and more power than the ninja when essentially it is a ninja???
he said the V-spec case has better flow in and the ninja parts flow better out, i still do not really understand what he was saying but all i know is it works. i saw him at the PNB and it was flying down the straights.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by am
Massivmods, i think maybe you think of the old GRP ninja? The OS Ninja is same bore/stroke as the V-spec/speed.

I got some info that the Nonja enigne has bigger crankcase volume than the V-spec and this is why you get more power from the V-spec case.

The ninja crank has araound 210-214 degrees of duration while the v-spec is araund 220-223. In theory, the V-spec crank will have more outright power, if you compare timingwise, but thre is alot! of other factors in witch crank is the easyer one to drive and gives you the best laptimes.
Ah yeah ... correctamundo , ok so OS Speed Ninja changed the rod centres..

Nice
Old 03-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MassiveMods

Nice
Uh, Yeah. The OS ninja is a completely different engine than the GRP ninja. Nothing common between the two except the name. The GRP ninja hasn't been made for several years now.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY

Well the v-spec does have a different powerband than the ninja. I wouldn't say either one is more powerful, but they are different. The v-spec has slightly more bottom end from my experience with both engines. That can be attributed to it's 3 port sleeve vs. the 5 port sleeve of the ninja.
I have always thought that the V-Spec was a 4 port not a 3 port...Pretty sure it is.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trimble
I have always thought that the V-Spec was a 4 port not a 3 port...Pretty sure it is.
That's a common misconception. OS has advertised it as such before. It's actually a 3 port. For some reason engine companies count the exhaust port sometimes. Not sure why. Anyway, anyone that's seen the sleeve knows it's actually only a 3 port, as is the speed.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MassiveMods

Nice
so, what rod is in a promod vspec? it has a speed crank with vspec sleeve. It is not a vspec rod. it has knife edges and an oil hole.

when the rod went I replaced it with a stock vpec rod and drilled a oil hole. I was wondering if I could use a speed rod as it is predilled.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by johnny t
so, what rod is in a promod vspec? it has a speed crank with vspec sleeve. It is not a vspec rod. it has knife edges and an oil hole.

when the rod went I replaced it with a stock vpec rod and drilled a oil hole. I was wondering if I could use a speed rod as it is predilled.
The pro mod uses a speed/ninja rod. So yeah, that's what you should use.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

so what ninja crank are you using in the vspec and are you changing the rod as well to the speed rod lmk thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gkn0315
so what ninja crank are you using in the vspec and are you changing the rod as well to the speed rod lmk thanks
It's the crank from the JX21 ninja that we are talking about. In order to use it in the v-spec you must use either a speed rod or a ninja rod.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default ?

Thanks for the input guys, I gave up on the motors, or what I have let, I posted them for sale, Ninja, Speed, Werks parts for sale if anybodys interested
Old 03-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

fyi, i did a search on google earlier for the heck of it looking for certain parts and found vspec cranks NIB for 50$ and less. I actually found one for 35$ brand new.

I know they have garbage crank pins, but for that price it does not even matter. Even if you only get three gallons, you could get a new rod and crank for 70$ pinch the sleeve and put in some tko's.

120$ and you have a new motor