R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #16
JQ
Tech Master

I cant think of a form of motorsport where the cars werent always as light as possible. That means something.....

The reason some RC racers prefer a heavier car, is that the set up they run, is suitable for a heavier car, not because a heavier car is better. The tyres, foams, shocks, and suspension geometry need to be changed to suit a lighter car.
JQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

lol this thread is funny.....
a lighter car is better and faster and more reactive and gets better fuel mileage....if you are faster with a heavier car then sorry but your not a very good driver....or at least compared to the best of the best.
But this thread wasnt even discussing driver so rule that out.
Most guys that drive can move the car around in the air like most of the pros who do that and they do it with a lighter car because its easier to do it.
if heavier cars were the ticket then all the pros would have aftermarket parts on the car to make them heavier not lighter.
fast guys want a lighter car medium to bashers want a heavier car cause on most tracks its easier to drive....but not faster.
I think someone posted correctly that a limit has to be in order just due to the expense that it would create if everyone had to have so much extra money in a car to be fast.
and I dont think it TOTALLY it to have the lightest car but also where the weight is. when you get down in the 7.2-7.5 range its also as important to have the weight low and centerline.
just an FYI I have weighed several buggies and no matter what they say on the box these are race ready with the same tires
losi--7 pounds 4 ounces
AE--7 pounds 9 ounces
Mugen (my own car) TI screws 7 pounds 2 ounces
Hyper 9.5--7 pounds 5 ounces
Xray 808 (2009) 7 pounds 1ounces
Odonnell--8 pounds 3 ounces
serpent--7pounds 4 ounces
Kyosho--7 pounds 10 ounces
Tebos car..lol I wont even post
these weights will carry with different tires and engines but no more than an ounce or two from what was in them

in my personal opinion the only buggies that can be optioned out to be under weight are the Losi,Mugen and Xray,,,
sorry I dont have any stats on any of the weird cars they run in some countries
TheTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I already knew the Xray was one of the lightest cars, but I had no Idea the OD car was such a Hog?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

yeah the x ray is light
most of those cars is with the needed hop ups installed, except the losi it was pretty much stock, I have seen an x ray with many hop ups go 6 pounds 9 ounces and I have seen a mugen go about the same, I have TI upper screw kit on my mugen and its pretty light.
the lighter cars are also more sensitive to set up changes but in reality thats what you want
Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #20
JQ
Tech Master

What about Tebos car?
JQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Isnt there a MAX and MIN weight, I know guys that puts weights on there cars..

Its just a rule made to make sure the drive has the advantage or disadvantage instead of the actual car
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTopic View Post
lol this thread is funny.....
a lighter car is better and faster and more reactive and gets better fuel mileage....if you are faster with a heavier car then sorry but your not a very good driver....or at least compared to the best of the best.
But this thread wasnt even discussing driver so rule that out.
Most guys that drive can move the car around in the air like most of the pros who do that and they do it with a lighter car because its easier to do it.
if heavier cars were the ticket then all the pros would have aftermarket parts on the car to make them heavier not lighter.
fast guys want a lighter car medium to bashers want a heavier car cause on most tracks its easier to drive....but not faster.
I think someone posted correctly that a limit has to be in order just due to the expense that it would create if everyone had to have so much extra money in a car to be fast.
and I dont think it TOTALLY it to have the lightest car but also where the weight is. when you get down in the 7.2-7.5 range its also as important to have the weight low and centerline.
just an FYI I have weighed several buggies and no matter what they say on the box these are race ready with the same tires
losi--7 pounds 4 ounces
AE--7 pounds 9 ounces
Mugen (my own car) TI screws 7 pounds 2 ounces
Hyper 9.5--7 pounds 5 ounces
Xray 808 (2009) 7 pounds 1ounces
Odonnell--8 pounds 3 ounces
serpent--7pounds 4 ounces
Kyosho--7 pounds 10 ounces
Tebos car..lol I wont even post
these weights will carry with different tires and engines but no more than an ounce or two from what was in them

in my personal opinion the only buggies that can be optioned out to be under weight are the Losi,Mugen and Xray,,,
sorry I dont have any stats on any of the weird cars they run in some countries

Thanks for ur plug and I'm right with u on what u said above, a good driver will always take the lighter car it's just the way it is. If his setup doesn't work then he will change the setup. U guys all say that the cars won't handle good being that light cause there setup for heavier cars well set them up for a light car. I think everyone maybe thinks I'm talking about ppl that drive 2-3 times a month but I'm not I'm talking bout good drivers that r wanting to b the next Cavalieri that arnt that speed yet like intermediate class, I think they will lie the lighter car because there looking for the advantage. I was surprized at how light the serpent is, and I bet tebo's car us way under the weight limit because he can then add the weight where he feels it should be. I know a pro driver really well and even he said quote ' I wish I could practice with my full blown race car cause it's 10 times better to drive (I ask why, he says) because everything is titanium, towers bolts shock shafts he said down to the little things were all lightened. I even got to see his ifmar car when he won the worlds it was a lil outdated but still was light as hell.
Matt Piva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #23
Tech Prophet

yea but most club racers can afford, all titanuim parts i cant ethier really so i just deal with the, weight of my eight buggy. makes me a good enough driver
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #24
am
Tech Master

Well,

If you take a given car (as that is my starting point) and make it as light as possible, it will not always perform best when it is the lightest, so i dissagree abaout that.

You take something more into the equation and that is to redesign the car and the suspension geometry to make it be better. What you actually have done is to make a new car. Ofcaurse it then will be faster. Then i agree, but to take one car that is already designed and make it a s light as it possible can be, to think it might be alot better, does not work.

If you do make a car as light as possible with that goal in mind, you would come out with a completly different car, geometry wise, and weight distribution wise.

I think even you agree to this Joseph.

Another example of this is that all the big guns runnign B44`s put more weight on their cars so it will perform the same with Lipo batteries as they did with Nimhi batteries.

The Durango is REALLY heavy, but it goes for beeing one of the absolut best cars in the 10`s scale class, and there would not be a problem making that car alot lighter if they thought that would be the best aproach. Rc offroad is not like any other motorsports.

Anders
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Black

As mentioned before, weight is something that the sanctioning body as put in place to keep things on a semi-level playing field while also keeping costs in mind.

As far as everyone stating that a lighter car is better.... I am gonna call shananigans on that. To back myself up on that, everyone wants the nastiest motor available. With that being said almost every buggy out there is vastly overpowered, thus making the cars hard to control when you are strapped up running at the highest levels of competition. With the cars having so much extra power due to the increases in today's technology a heavier car is desired. Thus proving my point that heavier cars are better equipped to handle the excessive power that we have mounted up come race day.

If you think I am wrong, GREAT. However, look back in history when everyone wanted the lightest 1/10th buggy around, then once we all figured out that a lighter car was not the easiest thing to drive we simply freed up the drivetrain even more and added weights to the back pods of our buggies.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #26
Tech Adept

So what is it light buggy or heavy buggy which is better, lol, I love coming here for a laugh.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactoryTeam08 View Post
So what is it light buggy or heavy buggy which is better, lol, I love coming here for a laugh.
For pro guys a light buggy and for sportsman drivers a heavy buggy, pretty much can argue all day but when it comes down to it.... That's it
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

Default This should have to happen.....

Amezcua had to add weight to his car at the nitro challenge......
BITTY123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am View Post
Well,

If you take a given car (as that is my starting point) and make it as light as possible, it will not always perform best when it is the lightest, so i dissagree abaout that.

You take something more into the equation and that is to redesign the car and the suspension geometry to make it be better. What you actually have done is to make a new car. Ofcaurse it then will be faster. Then i agree, but to take one car that is already designed and make it a s light as it possible can be, to think it might be alot better, does not work.

If you do make a car as light as possible with that goal in mind, you would come out with a completly different car, geometry wise, and weight distribution wise.
well said.