Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC8T Newbie maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default RC8T Newbie maintenance question

Under Care and Maintenance...My manual says I should "inject some corrosion inhibiting oil, and rotate the oil to all the working parts. Do not, however, inject the oil into the carburetor, for it may cause the O-rings to deteriorate."

Which oil do you all recommend and where do I inject it? by rotating I imagine they mean the flywheel? Also, must this be done everytime I'm done for the day with the truggy?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Great forum!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

I have never injected anything anywhere so long as you give it a good cleaning after every race weekend you will be fine . Maby what it is saying is whats called after run oil and that is for the inside of the motor to prevent rust on the internals which is bad . To apply that take your air filter off and put a couple drops down the carb and take the gloplug out and another few drops down to the piston and sleeve and put it on your bump box or hand crank the flywheel .
Old 04-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by d8tforme
To apply that take your air filter off and put a couple drops down the carb and take the gloplug out and another few drops down to the piston and sleeve and put it on your bump box or hand crank the flywheel .
It says in the manual not to add it to the carb...im confused
Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ive seen that in alot of places not to put it in the carb and the problem i see with that is that you dont get the oil in the bottom end of the engine. Going through the glow plug hole will only get the oil in top of the piston and turning the engine over will kick it out the exhaust. Putting it at Bottom Dead Center might let the oil seep down there but in my opinion i would put it in the carb and glow plug hole.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

Well as stated, we can assume they are talking about After Run Oil. I use the Hobbico one and have put drops in the glow plug hole and the carb with slide open. I have not seen any harm to the O-Rings in either case, nor would I think it would. Maybe some harsher non-RC specific ones might, but stick with oils specifically made for this and you should be fine.

A note on the glow plug portion, and sadly I see this alot. Prior to removing the glow plug, make very certain that the area around the glow plug is free of any debris, dirt, dust, etc. When you drip the oil in there, you stand a chance of carrying that dirt straight into the cylinder as one drop will surely miss the hole...
Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Like was said earlier. You really need to get the oil in the carb. Use a bottle with a long tube so you can get it way down in there. That helps it get past the carb. With glow plug out bump it on the starter box for a couple of seconds. Good to go. I do this after each day of running. Maybe you know this but make sure the piston in always at the bottom after each time you run the engine. These two things will help extend engine life.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joemero
It says in the manual not to add it to the carb...im confused
you should blow the engine very well with dry comp[ressed air,not local gas station air. you should use a high quality AFTER RUN OIL,hobbico is good. theu say this becuase nitro is very corrosive and will actually make the crank shaft rust. take a clean/new piece of fuel tubing (about 4" long) and slide it over the end of the after run oil and you can install the oil that way with out spilling it.
the reason they tell you not to put it through carb is it has inhibitors that bond to material and will cause the o-ring to swell up. dont worry much about this with the fuel tubing on the end and it only takes a few drops nto a full crankcase.lol
you should only use after run oil if you are putting the engine away for a while. if you use a good fuel like sidwinder it has inhibitors in its oil so short no run stints does not hurt the crankcase or shaft,but it dont hurt to use the aro every time,better safe than sorry.

p.s. dont forget to spin over the engine to coat all internal parts evenly.