R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   1/8th Ride Height Gauge (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/376522-1-8th-ride-height-gauge.html)

ben73 03-04-2010 12:45 AM

1/8th Ride Height Gauge

can anyone point me to a shop that stocks a ride height gauge that is alloy and "stepped" from 0-30mm

Marzac2 03-04-2010 12:50 AM

Mugen makes a good aluminum stepped one.

ben73 03-04-2010 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Marzac2 (Post 7088682)
Mugen makes a good aluminum stepped one.

I have only seen a mugen one go up to 16mm. any idea where you can get a large one?

Marzac2 03-04-2010 01:21 AM

Mine goes up to 30mm, but I don't know where to get one.:confused:

ben73 03-04-2010 01:55 PM

anyone else got a large stepped ride height gauge?

ALG 03-04-2010 01:57 PM

HARD some ride block, they work GREAT!!!

ALG

JoeyTheRocket 03-04-2010 02:19 PM

15mm to 45mm

http://67.199.85.166/main/productdetails.php?text=1449

Miniracer23 03-04-2010 02:30 PM

Hudy has a ride height gauge 0-30mm. I think you can order it on Amainhobbies.com.

Frank L 03-04-2010 02:38 PM

I like the one from Team Losi or the AE one.

mblgjr 03-04-2010 02:46 PM

I'll admit...I've never really understood why offroad guys use a ride height gauge....Even the "Drake" video doesn't explain this.

For example his video is only good for his car on the Losi XBT tires that he tends to run.

The ride height is only 'relative' if you use the SAME set of "setup" tires or preferably just naked wheels.

Why? Because various tire O.D.'s vary from tire to tire and tread to tread; even within a brand. Foam insert durometers also vary, thus creating different ride heights.

So don't go setting your car to "XX"mm every time without establishing a baseline that is relative to the same baseline parameters (naked wheels on a hard surface).

To me, the best thing to know on the fly at the track is to know what your front to rear difference in ride height should be. Say you run the front 2mm lower than the rear (just an example) then you could check that without going back to the setup bench; just check the front and then make sure the rear is 2mm higher (again, fictional example).

Frank L 03-04-2010 03:01 PM

The rife height is a relative starting point and then I fine tune from there according to what my set up guy tells me (Racer 103) when he says raise it up thats exactly what I do. I usually tell him what the car is doing or he sees it on the track and then makes changes. But if you dont have a starting point then you dont know which way to go.

Danny B 03-04-2010 03:04 PM

mblgjr,

Ride height is one of the most critical things on the car. The point of havng guidelines (ie. 27/29 for losi bug) is when you change tires you come back to those settings. Everytime you change tires, you need to check your ride height. If you dont' adjust and you put shorter tires on, now the car is bottoming out off of big jumps, put taller tires on and the car is rolling over too much and/or traction rolling, For example

Order of importance in my book:

1) Tires
2) Tires
3) Having proper built shocks
4) ride height and camber(tie)

As far as the original question, losi gauge!

Integra 03-04-2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 7091458)
The rife height is a relative starting point and then I fine tune from there according to what my set up guy tells me (Racer 103) when he says raise it up thats exactly what I do. I usually tell him what the car is doing or he sees it on the track and then makes changes. But if you dont have a starting point then you dont know which way to go.

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 7091475)
mblgjr,

Ride height is one of the most critical things on the car. The point of havng guidelines (ie. 27/29 for losi bug) is when you change tires you come back to those settings. Everytime you change tires, you need to check your ride height. If you dont' adjust and you put shorter tires on, now the car is bottoming out off of big jumps, put taller tires on and the car is rolling over too much and/or traction rolling, For example

1) Tires
2) Tires

A BIG X2 Losi's are Very Sensitive to ride height adjustment and the #'s are critical.

AE gauge over here....i find the losi to be a little too vague.

ben73 03-04-2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket (Post 7091281)

thanks but I am looking for a solid stepped one. I have the "floating" AE gauge but am after a machined gauge with preset steps cut out

madweazl 03-04-2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 7091475)
mblgjr,

1) Tires
2) Tires

If you're bottoming off of jumps, ride height isnt what you want to be adjusting. Ride height wouldnt be where I was looking if the car was rolling either.