R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #46
am
Tech Master

[QUOTE=losi_racer;7081317]your only getting 3 races? in both my buggy and truggy i went 2+ gallons, my clutch was still at 23.6 when i replace the clutch and the bearings still felt brand new.

well, the dust we have here eats bearings. from talking to Bill Hagen and several other us drivers at the worlds in 2004, the absolute best bearings you could get for your cars driveline was original Kyosho bearings. They were very expensive but was suppsoe to be the best bearings. This is also confirmed by Norwegian racer who was in USA for a while racing with Hagen, Kortz, Korn and others. Here, the Kanai 3 bearings lasted one race and was toast.. so alot of some of our tracks just use alot of bearings...

TKO bearings holds up extramly well. Even in my Crono RS3, witch had a lot!! of chassi flex, i could use the TKO bearings for two races, and that was very unusual even when running very expensive ceramic bearings in my clutch..
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #47
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

[QUOTE=am;7085967]
Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
your only getting 3 races? in both my buggy and truggy i went 2+ gallons, my clutch was still at 23.6 when i replace the clutch and the bearings still felt brand new.

well, the dust we have here eats bearings. from talking to Bill Hagen and several other us drivers at the worlds in 2004, the absolute best bearings you could get for your cars driveline was original Kyosho bearings. They were very expensive but was suppsoe to be the best bearings. This is also confirmed by Norwegian racer who was in USA for a while racing with Hagen, Kortz, Korn and others. Here, the Kanai 3 bearings lasted one race and was toast.. so alot of some of our tracks just use alot of bearings...

TKO bearings holds up extramly well. Even in my Crono RS3, witch had a lot!! of chassi flex, i could use the TKO bearings for two races, and that was very unusual even when running very expensive ceramic bearings in my clutch..
i think a lot of us, including me are not putting the variable of different track conditions, my track is watered and very well maintained

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Bearing

Make sure your crankshaft (clutch end) is not worn out to.
gabor szilagyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
then your not using tko bearings, one set lasts me a clutch, i dont do anything special, believe me or not. im payin 5 bucks for bearings every clutch, and my clutches last longer, with you dollar bearings, your spending 2-4 bucks or more every gallon

when i used avid clutch bearings, they were hit or miss, some would last a gallon some last one race. since going to tko, the bearings still feel new when i replace them. also clutches lasted me about 1.5 gallons, now im getting 2-2.5 gallons on a clutch, only thing i changed was the bearings, my last set was at 23.7, i throw them out at 23.4 as per adam drake and they were push 2.5 gallons, if it was a club race i would of kept them in, but it was nitro challenge qualifying so i changed them
My Opinion, I have 10 of each companies dollar bearings, I have used the TKO "specials" awhile ago but changed them like all the pros here change them. like I said at a buck a piece i dont care, its still the cheapest thing I buy for my 1/8. I might try them one club race day, but i rather replace them spending 80 bucks replacing parts.
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhat250 View Post
I have an Mbx6 & Mbx6T

I'm fairly new to nitro

A few questions:

metal shielded or rubber?

Some take the rubber seal off and degrease then lube. Do most do this? If so, what products are you using?

Ceramic or Cheapos?

I've read that they both fail, so just get the cheapos and just replace more frequently. That's what I do now. I buy the 10 pack of Proteks from Amain for $10. A buck a bearing.
avid rubber shields, 1 drop of 3in1 oil between race days or clutch maintenance, should last about a gallon, 10 for $12 so a dollar a monthish.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #51
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default WHATS WITH THE 23.7 AND 23.4?

Quote:
then your not using tko bearings, one set lasts me a clutch, i dont do anything special, believe me or not. im payin 5 bucks for bearings every clutch, and my clutches last longer, with you dollar bearings, your spending 2-4 bucks or more every gallon

when i used avid clutch bearings, they were hit or miss, some would last a gallon some last one race. since going to tko, the bearings still feel new when i replace them. also clutches lasted me about 1.5 gallons, now im getting 2-2.5 gallons on a clutch, only thing i changed was the bearings, my last set was at 23.7, i throw them out at 23.4 as per adam drake and they were push 2.5 gallons, if it was a club race i would of kept them in, but it was nitro challenge qualifying so i changed them

Is that some kind of Losi lingo?
JonnyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Sounds like it
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Best luck I have had with the clutch bearings is the $1 a bearing route for club races. I put a $2 set in before the mains and run that same set the following race weekend for qualifiers then before the mains I install a new set. This works out for me to get a weekend out of a set and lets me start the mains with a new set. It also works out to be $2 per race weekend, but I am going into the mains with a new set and $2 is nothing in 1/8th scale. I have tried TKO and all the other name brand ceramics and sometimes they would feel good before the main and still fail. After I started with what I mentioned above, I have yet to go out of a qualifier or main due to clutch bearings.

Hope this helps
mracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #54
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just to clarify...our "special" clutch bearings are steel and are not radial bearings. They are radial/thrust bearings and are directional, having a black and a blue seal for proper orientation. They have a higher RPM range and can handle the axial forces of the clutch bell when it moves forward or backward.
Peter Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #55
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Martin View Post
Just to clarify...our "special" clutch bearings are steel and are not radial bearings. They are radial/thrust bearings and are directional, having a black and a blue seal for proper orientation. They have a higher RPM range and can handle the axial forces of the clutch bell when it moves forward or backward.
Directional hummm THAt's prob why I blew them up so fast. I lrob put them in backwards. I'll have to give them another shot I love all the other tko bearings I just tried the $1 wheel and diff bearings and they work very well.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #56
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Martin View Post
That's the part I don't get. If the blue seals face each other in the clutch bell one bearing will be turning clock wise and the other counter clock wise?
bphil49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #57
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

They are directional for axial loading not radial.
Peter Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #58
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Oh thanks for clearing that up Peter
bphil49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #59
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphil49 View Post
That's the part I don't get. If the blue seals face each other in the clutch bell one bearing will be turning clock wise and the other counter clock wise?

i have the black seal faceing on the, outside and the blue seal faceing inside of the clutchbell. plus if you try to have the blue seal, faceing on the outside
i notice you coulnt. get it to shim right , for some reason but the high rpm tko bearings last man.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Anyone pony up for full ceramic bearings like the Boca Peeka Boo 5 (http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=docs&id=37)?

You would think these would never wear out....

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote