Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch Bell Bearings..... Your tips for longevity

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I use TKO, I change them out after a gallon. I have never had any issues.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default traxxas

Those clutch bearings are great quality.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Boca

GREEN SEAL - $9.95 FOR 6 PACK
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=product&id=10966&n=#CB105-2GS

STEEL FULL COMPLEMENT - $27.95 FOR 6 PACK
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=product&id=8655&n=#CBFC105-ZZ

CERAMIC HYBRID FULL COMPLEMENT - $37.95 FOR 6 PACK
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=product&id=8656&n=#CBFC105C-ZZ

(Below came from redrc.net)
The Boca Bearing Company have announced their new Gold Standard, Silver Standard & Bronze Standard line of 5mm x 10mm clutch bell bearings. As RC drivers continue their quest for more speed and better performance, the clutch bell is a constant source of problems due to excessive heat build up, which can result in the bearings failing prematurely. For the expert driver looking for the best performance the ideal solution to the retainer issue is to do away with it altogether. The Gold Standard bearing is the ultimate clutch bell bearing designed with the serious racer in mind and has stainless steel races and shields with a full compliment of ceramic balls. Because Ceramic is impervious to heat there are no issues with the balls expanding as temperatures rise giving this bearing a life expectancy of 5 times that of a standard bearing. For the intermediate driver looking for a more affordable solution with longevity, there is the Silver Standard clutch bearings that come with Stainless Steel races, shields and a full compliment of steel balls. The balls will still expand under extreme heats but the bearing will stand up far longer than average because there is no retainer to break apart. The Bronze Standard line of clutch bell bearings consists of the company’s tried and true Green Seal series that has proven to be far superior to stock bearings and can handle plenty of clutch bell abuse and are perfect for clutch environments where excessive heat is not an issue.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I'm Sold On Ceramics

Originally Posted by markhat250
I have an Mbx6 & Mbx6T

I'm fairly new to nitro

A few questions:

metal shielded or rubber?

Some take the rubber seal off and degrease then lube. Do most do this? If so, what products are you using?

Ceramic or Cheapos?

I've read that they both fail, so just get the cheapos and just replace more frequently. That's what I do now. I buy the 10 pack of Proteks from Amain for $10. A buck a bearing.
I have been running Advantage 5x12 in my 808 in dusty conditions for 2 full race days and 2 full practice days(more run time than a race) plus breaking in my 21-4c. The things still spin like mad smooth as butter. My bud I practiced with the other day couldnt believe the way they would spin.I going to run them one more practice this weekend and pull em just because it doesnt seem right. I too have been doing the $1 bearing thing for awhile and would replace every race. Last year my bud lost the state championship due to a new $1 bearing not making it thru the a main. I have heard nothing but good about TKO so take him up on the offer. I wish he would throw a pair my way

[B]YOU DONT KNOW ME-UH UH-YOU DONT KNOW ME
Old 03-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I run the Advantage $1.00 a piece rubber sealed bearings w/o removing the grease. I put a new set in at the beginnnig of the race day and run them all day. I have no problem getting practice, 3 qual's and a 20-30 minute main on 1 set of bearings.

If you can not get 1 full race day out of your bearings your doing something wrong somewhere!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Avid Yellows + brake clean out grease + re-lube with Mobil 1 Pure Synth 20 wt motor oil + M2C 4 shoe = dialed!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Answer RC clutch bearings with a nice drop of ZX1 oil inside em.

I've never had a bearing fail and replace them when they feel knackered.

If my bearings only lasted 2-3 races I'd think there was something wrong
Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speedyrob
I agree i think its about Shiming. If you shim your clucth right you should get a good 3-4 Hard races out of them. I use protek 10 for $10 and get a 1/2 a gallon or a whole gallon out of my clucth bearings. Speedyrob
This sounds WAY more realistic. 2 - 3 gallons, to me sound a little out there.

Dude we are debating over ONE DOLLAR - $1 BEARINGS, who cares, this is the cheapest thing I buy for my truggy, hell screws cost more.....
Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Prophet

il be honest with you guys i rather just, get a tko clutch bearing thats about $2.00 or a bit more rather that, replaceing a $1.00 bearing. after 2 races or less i think it , would get old doing that.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc5 man
il be honest with you guys i rather just, get a tko clutch bearing thats about $2.00 or a bit more rather that, replaceing a $1.00 bearing. after 2 races or less i think it , would get old doing that.
I love wrenchin.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markhat250
I have an Mbx6 & Mbx6T

I'm fairly new to nitro

A few questions:

metal shielded or rubber?

Some take the rubber seal off and degrease then lube. Do most do this? If so, what products are you using?

Ceramic or Cheapos?

I've read that they both fail, so just get the cheapos and just replace more frequently. That's what I do now. I buy the 10 pack of Proteks from Amain for $10. A buck a bearing.
i have run avids for quite some time they are always good ..i would also recommend the answer rc bearings for all your bearing needs..... ,,they are very similar to the avid revolutions ..they provide a single seal which keeps dirt out but also has less friction than a double seal ..i will obviously be biased to answer since i am sponsered ..but i can say without a doubt the answer bearings are solid ..on replacing them and or longevity ..there will be plenty of peopl say that there clutch bearings run for gallons ...there is just no substitute for just repplacing them every race day ...at a dollar or so a piece ...it beats the alternative ....clutch bearing goes and takes out you clutch bell , spur gear, possilbly you clutch shoes ...when you add it up ...it pays to replace every race day period ..inmho
Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you should be checking your clutch ware, bell tightens etc after each race, when you have it apart throw in a new set of dollar AVID bearings and be done. Running you stuff for 2 two 3 gallons with out checking is asking for trouble on allot of fronts.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
Avid Yellows + brake clean out grease + re-lube with Mobil 1 Pure Synth 20 wt motor oil + M2C 4 shoe = dialed!
With the Avids, I place em so the rubber seals face each other ie, First one in, goes metal shield first so rubber faces out. The second goes rubber in, metal out. As for maintanence, I normally run practice/heats on one set. If I'm in longer than a 10 min main, I'll replace em and use this set for the next weeks practice/heats. If shorter I usually just run the same set and start with a new set the next week. Or I'll clean/reoil em for re-use/emergency/friends.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Protek Cheepoooo 10 pack from A-Main they last are cheep and they look the same as the $15 for two stock mugen ones. Metal shield You also cant go wrong with TKO
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ch-bearings-10
Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geejay
This sounds WAY more realistic. 2 - 3 gallons, to me sound a little out there.

Dude we are debating over ONE DOLLAR - $1 BEARINGS, who cares, this is the cheapest thing I buy for my truggy, hell screws cost more.....
then your not using tko bearings, one set lasts me a clutch, i dont do anything special, believe me or not. im payin 5 bucks for bearings every clutch, and my clutches last longer, with you dollar bearings, your spending 2-4 bucks or more every gallon

when i used avid clutch bearings, they were hit or miss, some would last a gallon some last one race. since going to tko, the bearings still feel new when i replace them. also clutches lasted me about 1.5 gallons, now im getting 2-2.5 gallons on a clutch, only thing i changed was the bearings, my last set was at 23.7, i throw them out at 23.4 as per adam drake and they were push 2.5 gallons, if it was a club race i would of kept them in, but it was nitro challenge qualifying so i changed them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.