R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Markhat...if you email me I will send you a set to try. What car do you have ?

peter.tko@gmail.com
Peter Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Lots of good advice.....

The shimming is the real secret. The kyosho shim kit is perfect. 3 sizes with those really thin ones that make it just right without being too tight or loose. It will keep those bearings happy. Also check the springs and shoes to make sure everything is good because that can heat up the bearings too. The grease is there for a reason, and there are many good bearings out there. I like AVID because I know the guy, and it's right up the road from me and I get them in like 2 days regular mail. Do check them though before you put them in. I have found a few bad bearings im my day of any brand. If your bearings go bad it will wear the crankshaft where they ride, and if you crank is worn then the bearings will go bad faster, so don't be fraid to replace them every 3 racedays. Guys who replace them every day are just being wasteful or aren't shimming right, usually too much play, or have a worn crank.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

i use rubber sheilded cheap ones leave grease in

get around 2 meetings then bin them

try the traxxas ones not dear and last around double

run a rekward speed2.5 clutch and double their life

mbx6t picco/speed powered
stot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
Tech Addict

+1 on TKO bearings with the grease cleaned out and 1 drop of oil.

+1 on the Kyosho shim kit

I use the Fioroni 2 piece motor mount with the extra metal bar that runs parallel with the clutch bell. It prevent chassis flex where the spur meshes with the clutch bell. Your bearing should last longer.
razo125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fresh new bearings in a 45 min main with the grease is the best. I have DNF and ruined way to many parts because of bad bearings. And yes my stuff is shimmed right. I use about $60 in bearings a year, I dont think thats bad... ALL bearings not just clutch.

Its not wasteful - its being prepared.
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Default CERAMICS!!!!!

.................CERAMICS!!! I always thought ceramic was a waist of money.

Then, my bud said he had a gallon on a set, so I got me some! I got 4-5 races (that's practice, qualifying, & mains) out of one set. btw- when I did finally replace them (with ceramics) they had NO grit & no sighn of wear whatsoever, IN TRUGGY no less! The only reason I took them out is, I don't know the "limit" to them. I now have perfectly good practice bearings, or, engine break-in bearings.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Ceramics are great onroad, but in dusty conditions dont waste your $$ they will grit up faster than and steel bearing. I tried and well no more ceramic bearings in my off road cars. Inside the engine thats a different story, ceramic all the way. Its protected theres no way dirt and dust can get inside them.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #23
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am View Post
http://tkocompetitiondev.com/product...roducts_id=399

theese ones are expensive, but i get three races on one set in a Losi. They are way better as they are build to take higher axial forces.
your only getting 3 races? in both my buggy and truggy i went 2+ gallons, my clutch was still at 23.6 when i replace the clutch and the bearings still felt brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Ceramics are great onroad, but in dusty conditions dont waste your $$ they will grit up faster than and steel bearing. I tried and well no more ceramic bearings in my off road cars. Inside the engine thats a different story, ceramic all the way. Its protected theres no way dirt and dust can get inside them.
man frank this is one area i have to disagree with you on. i use tko clutch bearings in my buggy and truggy, as stated about they felt brand new when i took them off, all i do is blow them out with a compressor and stick them back in. my clutches last longer as well. i went 2.5 gallons on my buggy clutch and it still had life left, if it wasnt nitro challenge i would of left the clutch in there

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Either Boca bearings Gold shield or silver are great. http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...n=#CBFC105C-ZZ If you do not want to spend that much money then The silver ones are still really good. The Gold shields will give you alot of run time. http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...=SMR105C-ZZ/FC

Ryan,
ryan_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #25
Tech Adept

I agree i think its about Shiming. If you shim your clucth right you should get a good 3-4 Hard races out of them. I use protek 10 for $10 and get a 1/2 a gallon or a whole gallon out of my clucth bearings. Speedyrob
Speedyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

opinions on bearings well like a butt hole every one has one I personally just put them in and run em till i think they need replaced nothin special i dont see a need to take out the grease that was put in them to lube them
MontanaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Buy-Answer xray-size bearings-generally bigger xray size last longer.. run them 1 day-check.. I generally replace mine after 3 race days-or if they feel gritty. or before a big event.. will replace.. even if only done 1 meet.. But I generally dont fiddle with them.. I have taken out the grease and lubed them with hudy grease.. and tbh not noticed much life increase. plus i dont generally like to use oil in clutch bearings as it can come out and create a file on the CB.. but thats only if you go OTT
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #28
Tech Prophet

i run a cermanic clutch bearing in the, inside of the clutch bell and holds up fine still nice and smooth , and on the outside. of the clutchbell i use the tko high rpm bearing best clutch, bearing ever stays smooth for a long time.

now i do run a alum/carbon setup on, my eight so its pretty easy on the clutch bearings. etc i dont blow the greese out ethier, its in there for a reason.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to njballa Send a message via Yahoo to njballa

I would think who ever traxxas buy their bearings from rock, bashers never replace bearings and with that kinda abuse they still never seem to go bad!!!
njballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Racers Edge clutch bearings, lots of endplay seems to work well for me.