R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-02-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Need help, first RC, can't start it

Good morning everyone,

I am in desperate need of help, I got a new RC Nitro car the Kyosho DRX (my first RC vehicle). Yesterday night I tried starting it for the first time, and I spent 1 hour and a half and it just wouldn't wanna start.

Needless to say I get extremely irritated and gave up (yeah you can go ahead and laugh now)

the engine is a GXR .18, I tried going richer in the low speed and high speed needle then what's written in the book for (the starting and break-in procedure), i loosened the idle speed a bit, nothing would get the damn thing to start.

Does any1 have anything to recommend to help me start that thing b4 I lose it, today will be tryout number day two once I get back from work.

If you have any questions or need more info on something, go ahead and ask, i'll reply pretty fast.

Thank to all in advance
Old 03-02-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is the glow plug from the factory or did you put a new one in. If not take plug out and check with ignitor to see if it glows if not thats your problem.
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khar00f View Post
Good morning everyone,

I am in desperate need of help, I got a new RC Nitro car the Kyosho DRX (my first RC vehicle). Yesterday night I tried starting it for the first time, and I spent 1 hour and a half and it just wouldn't wanna start.

Needless to say I get extremely irritated and gave up (yeah you can go ahead and laugh now)

the engine is a GXR .18, I tried going richer in the low speed and high speed needle then what's written in the book for (the starting and break-in procedure), i loosened the idle speed a bit, nothing would get the damn thing to start.

Does any1 have anything to recommend to help me start that thing b4 I lose it, today will be tryout number day two once I get back from work.

If you have any questions or need more info on something, go ahead and ask, i'll reply pretty fast.

Thank to all in advance
First of all every engine that I have brought over the years, already come really rich, buy you richening even more will cause it not to start. put the needles back, why did you touch the idle screw?

Check you glow plug.. When you try to start it, does it try to turn over?
What glow stick or ignitor are you using, make sure its charged up or put a new battrey in it.
What fuel are you using?
You make need a new plug. Get a bunch anyway cause your gonna need them.

You got to have patiences with these things, the knowledge and skill dont come over night. I hate breakin in engines, but with time patience its fine.
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

See if the carb is open 1mm or so at idle. It may be closed thus letting no air in. You may have to to increase the idle on the radio to get it to start at first.
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khar00f View Post
Good morning everyone,

Thank to all in advance
hi there , good to see someone soo close.
i'm less than an hour away from u and am going to chateaguay today for rc parts, if you still need a hand ... you could meet me at a parking lot or something for break in it's better.

ya , don't play with the needles ... most likely your glow plug or ignitor.

take out your glow plg from the motor and then carfully touch it to the ignitor to see if it will glow?

if it doesn't glow red ... the little wire ring inside ... that is no good !
check your battery ... if you tried an hour it might be dead now!
try another plug ... until you get a glow plug that glows in your hand don't bother looking any further.

if when you first plugged in the plug it POPPED and a poof of smoke came off then it lite and lites every time normal now ...
you have flooded the engine ... it can get soo flooded that the engine will jam as your trying to turn it over .... that's bad ... STOP ... remove the glow plug, hold the throttle all the way open and turn over the motor, gas will fly out all over the place soo put a rag if you don't want it, also turn the car over soo the glow plug hole is down and continue to turn over the engine to remove the surplus fuel and oil.

then put in your glow plug that you just tested, turn up the trim 1/4 put the car on a stand so the wheels can turn freely ( it will start easier )
if it wasn't flooded, be sure there is fuel in your gas line all the way to your carb
if not , put your finger on the exhast tip watch the gas line at the garb, and turn over the engine till gas gets to the carb, let your finger off exhaust,
put on your ignitor and turn it over. it should fire with-in 5- 6 pulls and usually 1st 2 nd
what happens next needs experience to know if it is rick or lean.
it will either fire and run fast .. turn down the trim fast to fast idle and be sure it is rich enough to make it run a little rough.
or it will fire one puff or three and then start to flood itself again ... too rich.

good luck , i'm close if you have trouble still
rc everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

I didn't check the glow plug, figured it'd be good since it's new.

as for the fuel it's 20%

i played with the idle, after trying to start for so long, I just turned it a bit, anyways I've set it back the way it was.

I know this next part probably doesn't mean much cause it probably varies a lot from engine to engine

but I've set my high speed needle to 3.5 turns and the low at 2.5 (recommended by engine manual)

as for the ignition thing for the glow plug, it's not the problem, cause i started my cousin's car with it. So at least that's one less thing to worry about, and it's fully charged.

Now for the symptoms, when I pull the string, the motors turns, feels like it's about to turn on, and then just shuts off.

Once and only once, it actually started but then shut off right away and never was able to reproduce it again.

Where are you from RC Everywhere? I live in Laval, but work in montreal (ville St-Laurent) on Cote-Vertu, store called Vi-tesse.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Tech Regular

you may just have to lean it out a tad.............
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Tech Regular

ok, it's like triing to give a hiar cut over the phone ... just need to give lots of sysmtoms.

i can imagine your car in front of me by what you say .

the high speed needle ( don't play with the needles ... less is better )
won't change if the car starts or not unless your holding the gas wide open but even then it goes buy air flow.

the idle screw is just like the throttle or trim soo it will just help set your idle soo it won't stall on brakes.

buy the sound of it , your car is just about to go ... play with trim open and closed different settings. some times i put my trim way up a few pulls, then back to idle and it will start the next pull.

if it is still just stumbling you may need to lean out the low speed needle.

but when your turning needles .. turn very little at a time and try a minute or soo between ajustments.
also be careful turning screws all the way in ( not recommended ... easy to damage plastic carb if over tightened )

i'm in valleyfield , i'm off all week... ahhh if we had some weather i'd be rc'ing
Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Here in Montreal we're having good weather, a little chill, but I'm out with t-shirt, streets are dry, i'm gonna try leaning out both things and set them back to default (2.5 turns) and take it from there.

As for turning screws the moment i feel resistence i stop turning, being very careful with it, i know how sensitive screws and plastic can be.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Tech Regular

playing with needles when your a novice is dangerous because you need it to be rich for break -in.

it is important to check the glow plug sometimes because it gives you and instant view of if you are flooded or dry of gas . each one will make a no start!

if you play with the needles , or even just when it starts. it is very important to set the needles to the fuel you have ... each company and % is a different carb setting ...

once it starts ... you NEED to be sure it runs a little gurgly but can clean it self out when you open the throttle after a second or two.
but mostly check the temps and be sure the throttle is not to crisp!
you need to wait for it to run at it's maximum potiential!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Did you get it from a local hobby shop? I f so take it back and have them help you. If not shame on you, thats what they are there for.
cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

Of course I bought it locally, I always support my local shops as long as the price is within reason, even if it's a little more expensive than buying it online, at least I get the support if I need assistance.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would take it back to them and have them walk you through it. They should be more than happy to help you. Then have them show you how to properly tune it.
cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

When firing up a new engine for the first time, I think these are the things you should do.

1) Return all your tuning needles to whatever it says in the manual.

2) take out your glow plug and touch your glow plug on the glow lighter, and make sure it works. It should glow red hot.

3) While the glow plug is out, look down the glow plug hole of the engine, and pull the pull start a few times (assuming you have a pull start). Make sure the piston is going up and down as it should, and there's no rubbish in there.

4) Take off your air filter from the carb and make sure there's nothing in there. It wouldn't be the first time someones put on a air filter with the cap still on the carb.... or with paper tissue stuffing it after a rebuild (wasn't me... honest !!! )

5) While you air filter is off. turn on your radio, then turn on your car, and squeeze the throttle a few times. Check to see if the carb remains a little open when the throttle is at neutral (it should stay open about 1mm or so). If it closes completely when the radio is at neutral, then use your trim to open the carb up a little bit. Keep note of how much trim you need to open the carb up a little, and then turn the car and the radio off (no point in wasting batteries while you do the next few things) NOTE: don't play with the needles at first (the idle screw does the same thing as increasing trim)... you are new, and it's best to walk before you start sprinting . Once you get it going and read up a bit more on tuning and get more experience, you can then tune the idle properly.

6) Now put everything back together, put the airfilter on, put the glow plug back in, put in some fresh fuel into your fuel tank.

7) Prime the engine by putting your thumb over the exhaust, and pulling the pull start a few times. 2 or 3 short pulls should get your fuel all the way up your fuel line and into the carb. Pull it once or twice more just to make sure the fuel is in your engine.

8) Get a brick or something to put the car on (just make sure the wheels are off the ground)

9) Get a hair dryer (or a heat gun if you have one) and heat the engine block up. Point the hair dryer at the actual engine block (the part below the cooling head). Heat it up for a good minute or so, and you'll notice that pulling the pull start becomes A LOT EASIER!!!

10) Turn the radio on, turn the car on, make sure your steering direction is right (turning the control right turns your wheels right), check your throttle trigger is right (squeezing trigger opens up the carb, pushing throttle applies brakes..)

11) Once it's all good, Put the glow plug lighter on the glow plug, turn your trim up to where it needs to be, and pull the pull start a few times.

This should give the sweet sound of success (a running nitro engine). Your wheels might actually be turning... so at this point turn your trim down slowly till your wheels stop spinning at idle. Throttle the car a few times to make sure it's alive, and then put the car on the ground and start breaking it in Also note, that whiel your engine is still new, you will have to start it with a hair dryer for the first 10 or so tanks, until the engine loosens up and becomes easier to pull.

Hope the info helps you.
LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Some really good advice in this thread! Starting your first nitro RC car can be very intimidating. So don't be discouraged! I would take up the offer for local help if you can and get someone with some experience to help you. OR work with your hobby shop. As other said, your hobby should help you get you new cars started for the first few times, or they do not deserve your hard earned cash.

Definitely keep a few extra glow plugs in your tool box and let someone with experience tune the engine until you get the hang of it.

Worst case you can always post up a video of you trying to start it and people can try to help off of that.

The most important thing is not to get discouraged. This is fairly normal for a first time owner of a nitro RC.
Losi Ten-T: 7/7/2, Kingpin tires, optional Losi Springs, Spektrum DX3S
Nor-Cal Hobbies: Union City, CA
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote