R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
mazdamike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: new york city
Posts: 295
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mazdamike
Default clutch spring ques?

i bought a RC8 rs about a month or so ago . im thinking of buying the alm clutch shoes. i notice the springs have different numbers 0.9 1.0 1.1
higher the number the stronger the spring?
__________________
HPI Baja 5B-SSWC
FG marder
mikesgs430tt@aol.com email
mazdamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice
 
2tap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 90
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

The numbers are the diameter of the spring wire in mm.
So yes the larger number spring will be stiffer.
2tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
mazdamike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: new york city
Posts: 295
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mazdamike
Default

the bigger ones are more durable?
__________________
HPI Baja 5B-SSWC
FG marder
mikesgs430tt@aol.com email
mazdamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 190
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

a 0.9 spring will tend to give u quicker take off but u will lose some top end compared to say a 1.0 or 1.1,i mean u will get up to rpm faster ,therefore u may fall short on a long straight,u are already going with a lite shoe so maybe mix them up .9 and 2-1.0 what ever works for your track.
bigguyrc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 190
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

if u are needing some good set-ups for your entire car go to the rc8 buggy thread ,it should be on this page or the next,there are some pro's on there that post there set-up's (page 475 is a good one),before u get those shoes. good luck
bigguyrc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
KWT-NITRO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,616
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyrc8 View Post
a 0.9 spring will tend to give u quicker take off but u will lose some top end compared to say a 1.0 or 1.1,i mean u will get up to rpm faster ,therefore u may fall short on a long straight,u are already going with a lite shoe so maybe mix them up .9 and 2-1.0 what ever works for your track.
i wouldn't put it that way IMHO, i would say softer springs will make the clutch engages at a lower RPM which leads to a smoother accelerations and its best suited to loose soil or track with low grip conditions. softer clutch set-up will give you more run time too.

stiffer springs will make the clutch engages at a higher RPM which leads to a more sudden/ faster accelerations and its best suited to high bite tracks where tires hook up good to the ground and no wheel spin is there because of the hard clutch. and it will burn more fuel than a softer set-up

just my 2 cents

cheers
Ali
__________________
Team Kuwait, Team Terribles, www.rccck.org
Kuwait National Champion
FEMCA Truggy Finalist & FEMCA Buggy Semi-Finalist
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
highvoltage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Buena Vista, GA
Posts: 1,363
Trader Rating: 139 (99%+)
Default

When my Rc8 was nitro I like using 1- 0.9 spring and 2 1.1 Springs
__________________
Highvoltage Racing
"1/8 racing parts store"
highvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,982
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
When my Rc8 was nitro I like using 1- 0.9 spring and 2 1.1 Springs
Guys,

Just wanted to point out on a 3 shoe clutch. When you set it up like this you are causing 1 or 2 of the shoes to engage at diffrent times. This causes the Bell to Torque on one side. Putting an un-natural/uneven pressure on the bearings. This greatly reduces the life of the bearings and causes falures in the middle of long mains some times.

Just some food for thought. If you like to tune the clutch like this you should look into a 4 shoes system as it allows you to tune evenly where two shoes accross from each other will enage at the same time. Not allowing and uneven pressre on the bell/bearings.

Good luck
__________________
Getting back to racing!!!

See you at the track.
janderson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Tech Master
 
highvoltage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Buena Vista, GA
Posts: 1,363
Trader Rating: 139 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderson78 View Post
Guys,

Just wanted to point out on a 3 shoe clutch. When you set it up like this you are causing 1 or 2 of the shoes to engage at diffrent times. This causes the Bell to Torque on one side. Putting an un-natural/uneven pressure on the bearings. This greatly reduces the life of the bearings and causes falures in the middle of long mains some times.

Just some food for thought. If you like to tune the clutch like this you should look into a 4 shoes system as it allows you to tune evenly where two shoes accross from each other will enage at the same time. Not allowing and uneven pressre on the bell/bearings.

Good luck
Very good point. I uses to change my bearing before the mains. $2.00 it well worth the insurance of finishing.. Now just make sure the Lipo is charged
__________________
Highvoltage Racing
"1/8 racing parts store"
highvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/8th Scale On-road kevink2 Oval, Larger Scales and More 3016 07-18-2006 09:15 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:20 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net