Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #16
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

And then buy another charger?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #17
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

With these Li-Fe packs do I have to get a Li-Fe charger, Or can I get away with using another program ... I can alter the charge amps and pack peak voltage on my charger i'm sure.

Cheers for any advise

Rod Mingo
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
With these Li-Fe packs do I have to get a Li-Fe charger, Or can I get away with using another program ... I can alter the charge amps and pack peak voltage on my charger i'm sure.

Cheers for any advise

Rod Mingo
Your charger has to be able to do both. If is doesent say it charges life then it wont work. Another racer tried it and it failed.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #19
Tech Regular

From the Nosram Manual:

Found this info on AmainHobbies (ProTek LiFe Battery Description) which is worth noting:

Quote:
What about the voltage?
A 2 Cell LiFe battery produces 6.6 volts nominal, which is almost a full volt less than a 2 Cell Li-Poly battery. The LiFe battery is not meant to replace the performance of a Li-Poly battery, it is simply another option. LiFe offers the user a battery with a good discharge curve that is better than that of a NiMH battery, but without the risk of damage or fire that exists when a Li-Poly battery is abused. Additionally, when used as a receiver pack, a LiFe battery eliminates the need for a voltage regulator, which reduces the risk of failure by eliminating a component that could potentially fail.

NOTE: Brand new LiFePO4 batteries have been found to fail prematurely if they are deep discharged below 3.26V per cell (below 33% capacity) too early. A break-in period of 20 cycles is currently recommended. While testing has shown that this battery can be charged at up to 3C rates, it is recommended that this battery not be charged at rates higher than 1C to maximize the lifespan of the battery. Additionally, LiFe batteries should not be discharged below 2.5V per cell to avoid pre-mature failure and maximize battery life span
Jaf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #20
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Whilst not what I wanted to hear ..... Thanks for the speedy replys.

Next question ... any cheap Li-Fe chargers out there that are OK ?

Thanks so much

Rod Mingo
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
Tech Regular

A lot of people rate the iMax B6AC....are lots on ebay (mainly Hong Kong). Check the specs on the item before bidding - some specify LiFe some don't so don't know if it is an omission or if there are older variants about.

Also, some listings state that they are 'Geniune' ones and that there are some fakes about....not sure how true this is or if they are just trying to persuade buyers to buy from them.
Jaf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote