Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Landscaper

it's a 3250watt but it's a cheaper brand and right now I can't think of the name and trialer is put up for winter, currently I'm only running outlets, floresent light, and radio and fan...I'm planning on adding some stuff this summer like a little fridge and maybe a few other things. I posted on another thread that I was having issues with lights flickering slightly and with some of your guys help I think we figured out I'm not getting clean power. When weather warms up I'm gonna try a few things with it to try and get to work properly or I guess I'll have to buy something diff. I didn't go extravagent with generator cause I figured I really didn't need anything special for what I wanted but guess I shoulda went with better.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Frank, I will try to post some pics over the weekend when I have mine out of the garage. One thing I wanted to address specifically which you inquired about. The depth I used for the counter was 24 inches. It is the prefab one that you get at Home depot with the built in 4 inch back splash. The 24 inch depth IMO is really a bit much.

I think 18 inch would be just as effective. Although it doesn't sound like much, if you get a 8 foot wide trailer and go with 18 tops, you could line both side of the trailer with counter space allowing you to go shorter on the trailer overall. You would be using 3' of the 8' for counter giving you about 5 feet for chair movement and traffic. Just an option to consider.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Frank,

The Tiger's lair thread is the best one to look at. I think there's a coupl eof other threads that have other racers trailers and such. Be worth a look.

I was thinking of something along the same lines, though maybe not as big. Something that I could tow behind my RV and have a decent ammount of room. There are a few things that I'd be looking at as well.

How heavy do you want the trailer to be when done?
Depending on what you put in for work area and creature comforts, the trailer could go on the heavy side before you even load your stuff.

What are you basic needs for the trailer or in the trailer?
As in will it only be used for RC, or other things. Threr could be a price difference when buying the trailer.

What do you want to have in there for creature comforts?
Fridge, TV, Stero, A/C, air compressor, generator, lighting, and the like.

I know the A-Main trailer that those guys take to big races is very basic, yet gets the job done.

Another thing I was looking at doing was to have some type of RV awning on the trailer. That way you could have the option of pitting outside and in. As others have said, you build it and guys will hit you up to pit with you..

The other thing I was looking at was even weight distribuition when the trailer was done and packed. Helps to keep from buying tires for the trailer too often. It also keep the weight from being too far forward or back on the hitch.

What ever you decide, I'm sure you'll do it up right. At least you, Cary, and Doogie will be pitting in style. LOL..
Old 02-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Its just for RC and what I see necessary are TV, stereo, air compressor, generator and possibly 4-6 batteries so it could run chargers and lights without power. Still getting the idea down.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (98%+)

this trailer should turn out nice!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Frank,
You're forgetting the most important thing. A wash tub (see his avatar). LOL.

Look at the tiger's lair then and see how he insulated the roof, I would think that is a must for the summer. Medera in the middle of summer anyone? Also, you might want to go with some out side plugs, just in case you need them.

Batts? Good idea, but could be a bunch of extra weight you may not want. If you go with those new style Honda gen sets that are super quiet, you may not need that batts. Unless you don't want to have extra gas around.

Actually, alot of that thread could help you out. I liked the wiring and lighting pics, some good things there that make sence to me.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

James I have been all over the Tigers Lair Thread. I love how his trailer turned out I just dont think I have the patience to do things like put diamond plate behind the slats. I just want to do it once and do it right.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
James I have been all over the Tigers Lair Thread. I love how his trailer turned out I just dont think I have the patience to do things like put diamond plate behind the slats. I just want to do it once and do it right.
thats the second trailer hes done did you see the first one?
Old 02-27-2010, 02:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This can get fun fast. I work at a trailer place and build out 2-3 a week from simple to full blown money pits. Gen. sets- Low end units work but are loud and make durty power, ie. flikering lites, chargers that go puff, AC's that are weak. Around 7-8 hundred. High end units done right like quiet and small WITH warannty 1600 and up. Unless your going to do more things than pit rig, don't use a ramp back door. Barn doors instead. When you choke on that wire that helps pull 'em up and trip on it when running in for a hot batt. you'll see. AC's- To save money use a window shaker mounted low to the floor near front. The weight of that thing will brake walls. One axle is ok but two is better. Rides better, has brakes, and when you have a blow out, and you will, your not going to be stuck on the side of the road after you trash the hub. Think big tow truck! Need more thoughts? PM me. Happy hauling.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Working Man
This can get fun fast. I work at a trailer place and build out 2-3 a week from simple to full blown money pits. Gen. sets- Low end units work but are loud and make durty power, ie. flikering lites, chargers that go puff, AC's that are weak. Around 7-8 hundred. High end units done right like quiet and small WITH warannty 1600 and up. Unless your going to do more things than pit rig, don't use a ramp back door. Barn doors instead. When you choke on that wire that helps pull 'em up and trip on it when running in for a hot batt. you'll see. AC's- To save money use a window shaker mounted low to the floor near front. The weight of that thing will brake walls. One axle is ok but two is better. Rides better, has brakes, and when you have a blow out, and you will, your not going to be stuck on the side of the road after you trash the hub. Think big tow truck! Need more thoughts? PM me. Happy hauling.
So whats your opinion on this gen got great reviews but is cheap
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/g...erator-4434023
Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Last edited by mracer; 02-27-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Frank,

The first thing to consider is your tow vehicle and it's capabilities/limitations. You DON'T want to be under powered or under braked on the tow vehicle.

I've got a trailer... It's a 16' TPD race trailer..(designed for a full size sprint car or import road racer). GVWR is 7,000# Unladen weight is right at 2,940# (stock empty) Make sure you check these ratings on anything you are considering... You've already stated you have a tow rating of 6500#

I've often thought about taking the trailer and doing a conversion however I need to use it for my business as well. I've used it as a temp pit trailer at a few 2-Day events but... for the most part I don't take it to many races... reason..

1-Cost of additional Fuel
2-The California Speed Limit with towing is only 55... That Sucks!
3-Just more trouble to hook up, unhook when it's just myself running to a race.

I could see where it would be more cost/time effective for bigger events such as 2+ day races, or when you can count on a race buddy to share the space, time, and extra expenses... Good Luck!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
this is what you need frankie
Attached Thumbnails Nitro Trailer-wildside1-300x166.jpg  
Old 02-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Frank,
Just get an RV and you will have the "pimp" station when you go to races.
Fully loaded with bathroom and kitchen.Just an idea.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Landscaper
So whats your opinion on this gen got great reviews but is cheap
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/g...erator-4434023
For the price it's OK. But if it brakes just trash it. Made in China so parts are iffy at best. But at that price you can buy one a year!! I bet it's loud too, you don't want to be "that guy". Change the oil often and DO NOT leave gas in it, run it all out every time. And keep it out of the rain. I see people mount 'em on the hitch and don't cover 'em all the time, not good. Get a wheel kit and a long cord so you can put it inside and roll it away to take loudnest away. The thing with with the cheepies is durty power so flickery lites and cruddy chargers. Always a trade off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.