R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Tire Softners?? what have you used (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/374617-tire-softners-what-have-you-used.html)

jabroni racing 02-26-2010 08:47 AM

Tire Softners?? what have you used

So, we all know simple green is good to clean tires and soften/condition them up a little, but What have you used to really soften them up, something you havefound around the house or can get at the store, trying to find substitue from the expensive buggy grip, or traction compounds..

shanty140 02-26-2010 08:49 AM

I made a thread a couple days ago and what people recommend to me was Trinity Buggy Grip 2' Tire Spray.

Here is a link to the item:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...pray-w-Sprayer

fatdaddy 02-26-2010 08:58 AM

coat them with wd40, and put them in a large zip lock bag. they are much softer and sticker after

jabroni racing 02-26-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by fatdaddy (Post 7060432)
coat them with wd40, and put them in a large zip lock bag. they are much softer and sticker after

How long do you leave them sit in the bag?? thats what im looking for, a alternative to a $9 dollar mini bottle of buggy grip

plus2ss 02-26-2010 09:11 AM

You could also try tag or axe body spray. Some people use it with great results.

jzemaxx 02-26-2010 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by plus2ss (Post 7060504)
You could also try tag or axe body spray. Some people use it with great results.

Last thing I need is a bunch of chicks smelling the tires on my buggy.....oh wait, that could get interesting :D

Mr. Twister 02-26-2010 09:36 AM

Twister's Vice Grip

I have a product called Twisters Vice Grip, we have 2 formula's, Foam and rubber type, it's in a 8oz bottle with spray application for rubber tire, I use it on our rubber tire 1/10 sprint car's and 1/8 latemodel's.

The tire will maintain moisture content longer, up to a week, but works best when used between rounds, goes on wet but dry's by the next round, It consist of 3 different parts and has been tested extensivly. We broke the track record using it on our dirt track in 1/8 Latemodel, works on offroad tire the same. pm me with any questions.

Mr. Twister 02-26-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by jzemaxx (Post 7060570)
Last thing I need is a bunch of chicks smelling the tires on my buggy.....oh wait, that could get interesting :D

+1 even more if they like cocanut:nod:

fatdaddy 02-26-2010 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jabroni racing (Post 7060479)
How long do you leave them sit in the bag?? thats what im looking for, a alternative to a $9 dollar mini bottle of buggy grip

until you use them the next time. dont drown the tires with wd40 in the bag, just an even coat, and leave them in the bag till your next race day

3DRCRACER 02-26-2010 10:49 AM

Heard this on another forum and will not try it. Spin the tire and shoot it with a flammable aerosol spray and light it. Not for long but enough to heat it and it will get real soft. Yes even after it cools down. I can just see all the fires in peoples houses after this one.

I also heard it will drastically shorten their life span. I guess they get pretty soft.

fatdaddy 02-26-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by 3DRCRACER (Post 7060927)
Heard this on another forum and will not try it. Spin the tire and shoot it with a flammable aerosol spray and light it. Not for long but enough to heat it and it will get real soft. Yes even after it cools down. I can just see all the fires in peoples houses after this one.

I also heard it will drastically shorten their life span. I guess they get pretty soft.

tire fire :lol:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Trey7 02-26-2010 11:49 AM

And whos said kal-guard was just for cleaning purposes. LOL

Mr. Twister 02-26-2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Trey7 (Post 7061149)
And whos said kal-guard was just for cleaning purposes. LOL

the FISH was reppin for sure lol

makaluch 02-26-2010 03:50 PM

Tire flaming: first time I saw that at a track I was like "What tha?" :weird: It works though.

It's the best way to turn taper pins into slicks in 2 heats and a main :D If there's a handful of mod flamers it's also good for turning a brand new layout into blue-groove within 2 weeks. hehehe

bboard 02-26-2010 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 3DRCRACER (Post 7060927)

:flaming:Flaming tires is the best way to soften tires. Just make sure to do it outside. That video is a great tutorial of how to flame tires. I use motor spray, light the tire, spin until the flames are out(and it doesnt burn), the keep spinning and spray with WD40 or whatever traction compound you use while the tire cools.

I also use WD40 as regular traction compound and I don't get a drastic drop in tire life compared to running tires that are never flamed:flaming: