R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #91
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

I've never owned an 8ight platform, but I know they're quite strong. I've owned and RC8T since they released it, and beat the hell out of it. I find it to be very durable.

I sometimes break turnbuckle rod ends, and bend rear camber rod ends sometimes, but as I mentioned, I beat the snot out of it during practise days, and any break I've had was ALL driver related. If I had one complaint, I would like to see beefier turnbuckle ends. Aside from that, I love how tough and agile it is. Maintenance on it is a breeze, diff access is simple.

I think you'll be happy with either one, but I've never driven the 8ight-T.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #92
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanPirate View Post
I Agree with most guys in here, it's not the car that makes the driver, but the other way around. There are many kits available out there, and anyone who is interested in getting into the hobby or changing cars, should base their decisions on personal parameters and testing... That is my opinion, if you want to know if one is better than the other then you'll just have to try them out...
i love u caribbean
Spektrum
lacremadesammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:16 AM   #93
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I love my 2.0. So cool, and s'easy to get parts for.

I do like the mugen too. maybe next year.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #94
Tech Adept

Which buggy is lighter comparatively with engine and electronics?
joydude630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #95
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have owned the losi 1.0 and 2.0 and they are very good looking cars and fast but I have found them to wear very quick in the plastic department.

AE, never owned one but one thing is that two guys run the buggy this weekend at the first state race of the year and had problems with either something breaking or something just coming apart.

Mugen love the car very durable and had no problems with it yet after running it all winter.

X ray never owned it or run it
DX3R
Corey43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #96
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

huh well i have driven all of the cars on this list and currently have an x-ray 10 spec which am still getting use to only raced it twice but have setup right on it now and think it rips for me it drives like a losi but with more steering in tight corners lacks a little on power steering but think that is set up issue losi is solid car very solid and fast does some things well great all around car and very forgiving but consistent mugen is very fast and nimble but touchy and can not be pushed for me it was fastest lap time but no consistent for my level of driving so slower in the overall picture AE car is good if can drive a line and not crash alot got rid of mine due to breakage issues. got rid of losi to try and get a less maintenence car so went to x-ray quality is crazy nice drives great also but even with huge setup base on thier website is only few us setups out there for it and hardly anybody at the local socal tracks i go to run them so if i have setup question for the conditions that day i have no one to ask so have to guess and some times i guess right and sometimes not help on net is good but unles you take your computer to the track it is guess or wait until that night all chasis are good just what do you like i like the x-ray but would go back to losi if could sell the x-ray because wouldnt have to order parts and setup info is easy with losi but think i am a little faster with the x-ray
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #97
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Buy one of each!

I own one of each. I will say each one is more than capable of winning on any given day. Their are some differnces between them though. These are just my opinions of them.

Xray- (+)light, agile, built very well. (-)maybe not the most stable of the group in the air, but it does respond very well to inputs in air.
MBX-6, (+)light, built really well, decent amount of turning, tons of suspension travel. (-) On a tight track with lots of bite it can be a handful.
RC8B, (+) tons of steering, battery fwd & new towers help the handling vs. the old RC8, seems to handle ok even when the setup is off or coditions change. Favorite of the bunch for handling. (-) Fuel tank, just a tick behind the others for reliability.
2.0, (+) Seems to be the most stable of the group. (-) Probably not as much steering as some of the others.

The Xray and Mugen are built very well. Don't be decieved into the idea that they are maintenance free though. They are all very good cars.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #98
Tech Regular

The correct answer to this question is that there is no better or worse, its all personal preference.
As alot of people previously said in this thread the pros can win with pretty much any decent car. All new cars perform similar to eachother, atleast similar enough for any of us mortals to notice much difference.

Now what makes you chose a certain car is alot of things, and Im pretty sure the least thing is how it drives. Id say that its looks, user friendliness, cost and also what people on your local track runs.

So coming from someone who tried most brands out there at different times Im gonna say this.

XRAY = the highest quality car out there by far. The finish and quality of the parts are just in a class of its own.
How it drives? Well its prob just as fast as any other car out there, but its also more expensive.
Kyosho = The only brand that can come close to XRAY in quality. Its also a very fast car and it has a huge community. Only problem is everything is extremely expensive
OFNA = Cheap, poor quality like most korean cars. Theyre good value for money though, well equiped and just as fast as the more expensive cars once you get it going :P
Mugen = Good quality cars, I havent run the new MBX-6 so I cant give you much info on the performance part but Im sure its not any worse than the other cars out there.
AE = Im not that impressed with AE if Im perfectly honest. Ive never had a car with so many broken parts delivered with a brand new kit. The quality is comparable to OFNA. I have yet to run them on a track though, gonna try to run in my new engines tomorrow and Ill have them ready for the track this saturday hopefully so well see after that.

I think the conclusion here is that the European and Japanese cars are a bit more expensive, but theyre usually higher quality cars that are easier to work on and requires less filing and sanding to make stuff fit.
The american and korean cars are cheaper but requires a bit more work and patience.
But Im going to continue to say that performance wise it doesnt matter what car you have. Learn to drive it and learn to set it up and youll be fast with either brand.
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #99
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
The correct answer to this question is that there is no better or worse, its all personal preference.
As alot of people previously said in this thread the pros can win with pretty much any decent car. All new cars perform similar to eachother, atleast similar enough for any of us mortals to notice much difference.

Now what makes you chose a certain car is alot of things, and Im pretty sure the least thing is how it drives. Id say that its looks, user friendliness, cost and also what people on your local track runs.

So coming from someone who tried most brands out there at different times Im gonna say this.

XRAY = the highest quality car out there by far. The finish and quality of the parts are just in a class of its own.
How it drives? Well its prob just as fast as any other car out there, but its also more expensive.
Kyosho = The only brand that can come close to XRAY in quality. Its also a very fast car and it has a huge community. Only problem is everything is extremely expensive
OFNA = Cheap, poor quality like most korean cars. Theyre good value for money though, well equiped and just as fast as the more expensive cars once you get it going :P
Mugen = Good quality cars, I havent run the new MBX-6 so I cant give you much info on the performance part but Im sure its not any worse than the other cars out there.
AE = Im not that impressed with AE if Im perfectly honest. Ive never had a car with so many broken parts delivered with a brand new kit. The quality is comparable to OFNA. I have yet to run them on a track though, gonna try to run in my new engines tomorrow and Ill have them ready for the track this saturday hopefully so well see after that.

I think the conclusion here is that the European and Japanese cars are a bit more expensive, but theyre usually higher quality cars that are easier to work on and requires less filing and sanding to make stuff fit.
The american and korean cars are cheaper but requires a bit more work and patience.
But Im going to continue to say that performance wise it doesnt matter what car you have. Learn to drive it and learn to set it up and youll be fast with either brand.
xray best quality? probably. By far??? I wouldn't think mugen would be that far behind. Kyosho is the only one that comes close to quality??? Really?? and what about losi? I will take your word on that because i have not seen a kyosho yet (mp9). I see alot of losi's, rc8's mainly. Friend of mine has a xray, and if i get another buggy it will be a xray.

What about best truggy? I love the mugen mbx6 truggy!!

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #100
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have seen every one of those brands win except mugen nobody locally runs that brand but I am sure it is a very capable car. I would say the best car is one you can get parts for easy and one that you practice alot with because the less you crash the less you break. I personally run losi buggy and truggy and when I first started I thought it was a piece of crap and thought I would never like it but it was me not the car and now I love them both and can make them do what I want to do with them on the track they both turn on a dime and are very durable cars now that I am not crashing them all the time. I do plan on trying different make cars in the future just to see and If I don't like it I will just sell it.
dwkenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #101
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to snowman6869

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
xray best quality? probably. By far??? I wouldn't think mugen would be that far behind. Kyosho is the only one that comes close to quality??? Really?? and what about losi? I will take your word on that because i have not seen a kyosho yet (mp9). I see alot of losi's, rc8's mainly. Friend of mine has a xray, and if i get another buggy it will be a xray.

+1 on the mbx6t and I dont know if anyone has said this but alot of people buy losi and ae for the parts support.Alot of hobby shops don't carry mugen,xray,kyosho etc..
SAVOX
LUCKY7 RC FASTLANE GRAPHIX
snowman6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #102
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I only commented on the brands that Ive raced and owned. Ive never had a Losi so I dont know.
To me though XRAY is far superior to OFNA and AE when it comes to quality parts and so is kyosho, but mugen is closer to kyosho. Still XRAY is a class of its own.

I dont know about truggies tbh, but its the same deal with those since they come from the same brands.
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK

Last edited by Lilja; 04-15-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #103
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Mugen first then Kyosho in my world. never tried xray, parts are too hard to get. If I could cross the steering of kyosho onto my mugen it would be insane on the track!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have owned AE, Hot Bodies, Xray, and Losi.

Xray definitely in a class of it's own. 808 doesn't need a single upgrade. Mugen and Kyosho seem very close from inspection of my friends cars though. Although, the Xray definitely seems to be the most durable of all of them in my experience as well. Car hardly ever breaks and is also the lightest.

Losi is very durable, but the plastic is soft and does get pretty sloppy. Hardly every break my 8t 2.0.

My rc8 was a lemon from Day 1 and the car was constantly breaking. I damn near had at least 1 DNF every race from breakage of minor parts.

My ve8 is pretty durable. Not quite as well built as the Xray and Losi, but seems on par with the rc8 or maybe a notch down. Rarely broke.

After having the 808, it is hard to go to other brands as they all feel like a step down in terms of quality imho. The parts support locally sucks and they are expensive, but the reality is you don't need parts support since your car isn't constantly breaking like other brands. All my buddies who run 808s joke about having $200 of unused spare parts in their pitbox. I still have my original spares when I bought the car two years ago. About the only thing I replace on it is bearings. The ARMs warp a little after a few months of racing. But in two years, I only had 1 or 2 dnfs due to a car part breaking. The most recent was the ORIGINAL steering knuckle when from when I bought the car two years ago.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote