Community
Wiki Posts
Search

pre-mounted proline tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default pre-mounted proline tires

Just got a set and the directions said to poke holes in the tires, the rims are done from proline but is it needed on the tires?
Thanks
Old 02-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If it has them in the wheels; you don't *have* put them in the tires too.

A lot of racers put the holes in the tire carcass so that any captured dirt or moisture will get released and slung out.

I've done it both ways and never had a problem with just the vented wheels.

Use an Xacto for a quick fix, or a Leather punch if you want a cleaner hole.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

holes in the Rims allow dirt to get in and grind up your foams.....holes in the tires will allow the tire to breath while not allowing anything in due to centrifugal force like the rim holes will.....i would highly suggest a proper leather hole punch VS a knife or a drill of any sort...ive seen too many messed up tires over the years....do it properly from the get go.

Mounted wheels are a challenge to deal with but can be done...just try not to punch a hole in the foam while doing it.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I have used a drill bit to put holes in the tires if they are premounts.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
holes in the Rims allow dirt to get in and grind up your foams.....holes in the tires will allow the tire to breath while not allowing anything in due to centrifugal force like the rim holes will.....i would highly suggest a proper leather hole punch VS a knife or a drill of any sort...ive seen too many messed up tires over the years....do it properly from the get go.

Mounted wheels are a challenge to deal with but can be done...just try not to punch a hole in the foam while doing it.

+1 dollar general has hole punches for about $2. I love that store.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Prophet

i really dont know how you dont punch, a hole in the foams on premounts ever since i ran aka premounts.the foams seem to last even, though theres no holes in the tire just the rims. im not good enough to ,notice if the foam is grind up anyways.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i really dont know how you dont punch, a hole in the foams on premounts ever since i ran aka premounts.the foams seem to last even, though theres no holes in the tire just the rims. im not good enough to ,notice if the foam is grind up anyways.
Trust me, if you've ever run the PL gray foam you'll know when the foam is grinded up or torn...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by pyromania
Trust me, if you've ever run the PL gray foam you'll know when the foam is grinded up or torn...

i never ran any 1/8 proline tires , just aka tires and advantage tires.
the only prolines i have ran ,were holeshots on a 1/10 gas truck .
Old 02-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
The AKA premounts do have holes in the tire and not the wheels. Or at least that how it is on ever set I have seen.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by shanty140
The AKA premounts do have holes in the tire and not the wheels. Or at least that how it is on ever set I have seen.

oh i guess i dint notice them in the tire. they should do that with other premounts you buy.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default grey foams...

I hate those foams. I quit running pro line because it costs too much to buy closed cell foams and rims and tires. I just get AKA's they have a hole in the tire already, and J concepts are replacing their premounts with the new foams, I asked them, so pro line needs to get with the program, sweet tires and rims though......I just got sick of gluing tires.....
Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Tech Prophet

i think the lrp tires for the truggy that ,proline makes has the blue closed inserts in them not sure though. the premounted ones im talking about
Old 02-26-2010, 05:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Integra

Is best to fill the rim holes with shoegoo or silicon? Or leave them open?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:26 AM
JQ
Tech Master

tape them, use the stickers that come with the tyres
Old 02-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Or use a little balancing putty, it won't let got if it gets wet.

As for making holes in pre mounts with a leather punch, I suggest pinching the tire(if you can) and make a semi-circle cut with the punch giving you a nice circular cut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.