Wiki Posts
Search

2010 NC 25MIN VID-WHOS THE WHINY B*TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 51
First off, let me be clear. Team Associated does not condone nor tolerate poor representation of our products and company, no matter what talent a driver possesses. Actions result in consequences.

While it may seem like a few of our drivers are the focus of controversy, one must also recognize that the spot light is always on them. The pressure they place on themselves to perform is much higher than any pressure we place on them as manufactures. And when things go wrong, frustration sometimes gets the better of them.

It is truly unfortunate for Maifield that the camera was right next to him for this main event. If the camera were on the other end of the driver’s stand I’m sure similar flaming comments could be made of those drivers. I have been on the stand and around the pits for numerous main events and heard everyone from novices to top pros talk this same way on the stand. This doesn’t make it right, but does illustrate that Maifield should not be singled out among everyone else.

I’m sure there are many people following this thread that won’t comment, heck even I was unsure a few pages ago, but people always ask what it’s like to be top R/C racer. Here you go…this is part of it. You want to have a video camera three feet from your mouth, in one of the biggest mains of the year, after struggling to make the main event at your “home track”, work your way up to third only to have your engine richen up, drive 110% to keep pace and eventually fall to mid pack…it’s gotta be frustrating. Just think of how upset you might get for crashing on an "A" main run.

No one ever wins these types of debates. The best thing to do is embrace it, learn from it and move on. As Ryan’s Team Manager this is something we will discuss and learn from and use as a tool moving forward in his racing and representative career. By this point, I’m sure Ryan is more embarrassed than anything. If nothing else, this has shown the intensity and competitiveness of professional R/C racers; and yes, some whining as well. May we all learn a valuable lesson from this experience and remember how emotional we were at 23 years old.

I hate to still beat a dead horse but the camera was in the middle of two drivers and you could only hear one yelling.

I respect Ryan for apologizing like a man but I'm sure there was a little pressure from somewhere.

Just something that doesn't make sense is why would an O.S. ENGINE be broken in and not a REEDY ENGINE.

Ryan, shine some light on that video where Tebo made a clean pass and got reared.

Not hating..... just curious.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eagle7

Best of luck the rest of the year and F^^K these haters. And thanks for coming to Badlands every year bc alot those guys need that a$$ kickin.
Seriously?

After reading all 14, now 15 pages of this thread, I still haven't seen the video, so I'm not even going to comment on if I think his actions were over the top, or "just a part of racing". I will say that it takes a good person to come onto a forum, admit his mistakes, and take everything that has been said about him as constructive criticism.

Personally, I don't like being on a drivers stand and hearing a fellow racer flip out like that, it's uncalled for.

The last race I attended was a race at loganville, and was a benefit race for a local racers wife who has leukeimia. There was a guy from I think North Carolina that was racing truggy, well I was at my pit and he come waddling next to my pit area and threw his truggy down and yelled out something that I couldn't understand because he sounded like a gorilla. My cousins and I just laughed at him. It was a pathetic site to say the least.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default you can't win them all.

All the top drivers can't win every race, and lately I've had some bad races that weren't sofun, but I never yelled about anything. Whiney bitc# is right. If you are a pro then act like it. It's toy cars and it's ok to loose. When you win, great, but it's how you handle the loosing that makes you the winner. I know a guy that I racewith that acts like a big baby and it's sad really. This stuff is fun, so keep it that way..........
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eagle7
Thanks Ryan I was almost ready to give up racing after learning you get mad at your gear and use bad words. That video was like the day I found out Tiger was a cheater .

Best of luck the rest of the year and F^^K these haters. And thanks for coming to Badlands every year bc alot those guys need that a$$ kickin.
wow, i guess we all have different values.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great points Brent. They opened my eye to the bigger problem at these high level races. And that is the lack of consequence for rough driving. These never seem to be caught and or punished, this goes for any and all teams and drivers. We don't know what might have pushed someone over the edge. But if there were standards set in place for rough driving maybe the tempers on the stand would stay in check.

It was not my intention to call out an individual or team. (for that I do apologize) But all of us as a whole entity to help grow the sport to where we all want it to be. Heck Maifield and Brent are friends of mine (well maybe not after sticking my foot in my mouth today) The situation is where the frustration stems from, not the people involved.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

What a silly thread . Maifield is a great representative for his team and the hobby . You can't take what someone says on the driver's stand as a facet of their personality . But kudos to the mid-pack drivers who took their chance to show their superiority over one of the greatest drivers in the world .
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sickboy
wow, i guess we all have different values.
Not really I just think this is funny. I wish some of these same people would curse at their bad ass kids they bring to the track.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (97%+)

Good god people. Give it up and move on. The guy got on here and apologized for christ sake. All points have been expressed by the team manager and Maifield himself. What else do you people want?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by modified763
Good god people. Give it up and move on. The guy got on here and apologized for christ sake. All points have been expressed by the team manager and Maifield himself. What else do you people want?
Keep in mind there are at least 2 other topics going. Child abuse and Religion.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by boomgagem
Keep in mind there are at least 2 other topics going. Child abuse and Religion.

Where is child abuse and religion involved? Must have missed the posts. LMK
Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by modified763
Where is child abuse and religion involved? Must have missed the posts. LMK
They were talking about beating their kids earlier, they were debating about spanking children vs. talking to them.

I believe on the 4th or 5th page they were talking about cursing in public places and venue's like RC racing, and someone brought up religion and right and wrong, LOL.

I agree though, let the thread die.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by boomgagem
They were talking about beating their kids earlier, they were debating about spanking children vs. talking to them.

I believe on the 4th or 5th page they were talking about cursing in public places and venue's like RC racing, and someone brought up religion and right and wrong, LOL.

I agree though, let the thread die.

Ok cool.... I was wondering. LOL. Yeah, +1 on letting the thread die. This is my last post on this thread. See ya.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Something I wanted to say but forgot to is that because us drivers don't sit behind a desk while we are present at the 'office' makes it is easy to forget that this is a job for a number of drivers. Add in the competition aspect of it and level of concentration means that tempers can and do flare, however it is still a job and should be considered one. If you are a tax accountant (or another office type job) and lost your temper, you might get a warning or get fired for your first offense. Do it a 2nd time (if didn't get fired the first time) within a relatively short period of time and you probably will get fired or asked to take some sort of a leave of absence.

I'm also not trying to call anyone out, have not said any names for drivers or whatnot, peoples actions speak for them better than any words can. Every factory driver can, does, and will help people out whether they run their sponsors brand car or not. This is expected from every sponsor at every level of sponsorship. The level of help given varies from driver to driver due to personal choices or preferences in the factory drivers' mind of what is good help or other conditions that some may be willing to sacrifice while other drivers are not so willing to make certain sacrifices given certain situations. There are also 'bad times' to approach drivers which people can easily misconstrue the driver(s) personality for if the driver is approached in this 'bad time' and a response or attitude is given that is not true to that driver's personality. Say they were winning a race and their wheel fell off or their car broke or something like that would be a 'bad time' to approach. Some are cool right away, some need 5 min to cool down, some are done for the day, etc... Or other bad times can be the driver is just super busy preparing or rushing to do something on a very limited time frame and simply cannot afford the time needed to help another person out.

Adam Drake has always said if someone were to video tape just the drivers on the drivers stand at every race and edit it into a DVD that it would be something entertaining to watch. Every race I've attended I have noticed there is yelling in a lot of heats and classes and been a part of this at times. A drivers stand 'driver marshall' and rough driving marshalls are a great idea and I'd be for them. Imply stop and go's for actions on the drivers stand and the same or worse penalties for rough driving on the track. Problem is getting this done with people that know what is 'rough' and what isn't 'rough' and to give proper penalties given the circumstance(s).

Last edited by Jesse Robbers; 03-02-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

See, people like Robbers and Lutz get it. Bottom line is, these elite drivers are paid to represent the hobby and thier sponsors well, not just win races. If any of us had a bad day and completely melted down at work, we woundnt be there very long. Good on you Ryan M for coming on here with your apology. Good luck with the rest of the season.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up Way To Man Up Ryan!!

Originally Posted by ryan maifield
First off I want to apologize to anyone that I may have offended by my behavior during the main event at the Nitro Challenge, to those of you who watched the video online and to my sponsors who give me the best support and product I can ask for. It was selfish to bad mouth them and the products they supply.

To clear the air, yes I did run an O.S. engine in one buggy qualifier and went no faster. I discussed this with Brent and he okayed the use for testing purposes. After that I put my stock Reedy engine back in for the rest of the weekend. In the main my engine simply richened up because it was a newer engine and was still breaking in. This is no excuse as it was my fault for not being prepared with race ready engines. I should have had my pit guys lean the engine out, but instead I lost my cool and cost myself a potential podium.

I put a ton of pressure on myself to perform well and I know there are people watching and judging me and my equipment at all times. I also feel pressure to perform for my team because I know the companies have invested a lot of time and money in my racing career to give me the best opportunity to win and represent at every event.

As a pro driver you have to be two people. One is a fierce competitor that wants to win at any cost. The second is a patient, calm and understanding representative for your sponsors. During the heat of the main this is a very difficult balancing act and when things don’t go as planned it makes it difficult to stay calm.

I want to thank the people who had harsh words to say. This is an eye opening experience for me and I don’t want to be known as “that guy”. I’m going to take this thread as constructive criticism and I will grow from it. Again, I apologize to all of you and hope you won’t let this incident ruin your opinion of me or my sponsors.

Thank you,

Ryan Maifield
Like I stated earlier I didn't start this post as a personal attack on you. I didn't know who it was. I just wanted to post a cool vid for my buds here to see. It kinda blew out of proportion from there. But you have earned respect and a new fan in me!! Good Luck At The Next Round

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.