R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default How to Diesel Tires

Hey,

I have a spare set of tires that I would like to try and make into a softer compound. I have heard of people using diesel to soften the compound. Now how exactly do you go about doing this? Do you simply just put some diesel onto the tires? Do you know of a better way of softening the compound.

Thanks
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Putting diesel fuel on your tires will soften them better than most traction additives on the market, but most places dont allow diesel on their tracks. If diesel fuel gets mixed in the dirt, then every time they water the track, the fuel will raise to the top and make the track slippery. Thats why most racers will use a common additive like buggy grip, jack, TQ, paragon, niftech, zip grip, or any similar product.
plus2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just took off 2 sets of tires and with plans to re-foam them. for the same reason to soften the bite. The easiest way is to use a old pizza pan (Of aluminum over one) preheat your oven to 350 deg. Place the tires on the tray spaced properly. Let them stand in the top rac for 10 minutes - they will start to smoke a little about the 10 minute mark.

Then take them out and using a old oven mitt and break the bead with the back of a wooden or plastic spoon. Flip the tire over and bake for another 5 minutes give or take and then break the other side loose.

If you have an hot plate - let the cool and then take the rims out over the trash can.

What this does is crystallize the glue - even when it cools it will not re-bond.

Then clean up the old glue from the tires and the rims.

Scuff with a dremel and or some sand paper to prep the surfaces.

Cut or insert your foams and glue.

I think it took 20 minutes to break 2 sets of 4 tires and rims.

Take you time and clean up all your surfaces and you'll be fine.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

offroader...I think he wants to make the rubber softer not dismount the tires...
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offr0aden View Post
I just took off 2 sets of tires and with plans to re-foam them. for the same reason to soften the bite. The easiest way is to use a old pizza pan (Of aluminum over one) preheat your oven to 350 deg. Place the tires on the tray spaced properly. Let them stand in the top rac for 10 minutes - they will start to smoke a little about the 10 minute mark.

Then take them out and using a old oven mitt and break the bead with the back of a wooden or plastic spoon. Flip the tire over and bake for another 5 minutes give or take and then break the other side loose.

If you have an hot plate - let the cool and then take the rims out over the trash can.

What this does is crystallize the glue - even when it cools it will not re-bond.

Then clean up the old glue from the tires and the rims.

Scuff with a dremel and or some sand paper to prep the surfaces.

Cut or insert your foams and glue.

I think it took 20 minutes to break 2 sets of 4 tires and rims.

Take you time and clean up all your surfaces and you'll be fine.
While that method does work to de-bond tires, I don't think that's what he is looking for. He is asking about using diesel fuel as a traction compound.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I make my own tire prep by mixing deisel with WD-40 ina 1:3 mixture, brush that on and let dry then spray with straight WD-40 and let dry just before race.
bboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Tech Champion

I would personally stick with a traction compound such as trinity buggy grip 2. Like plus2ss said, diesel, wd40 and other oil based stuff will leave a nasty mess on the track surface after enough people start using it. Wd40 works great for hard packed tacky clay, but after it gets used enough, and the track gets watered, it kills all traction by leaving an oily residue on the whole race line.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Default motor help

hey whats up to all don't know if this is the right place for this question but if some one can give me some accurate advice it will be greatly appreciated OK so i got a sirio CL7STI i put it on my break in bench and let it idle for two full tanks of fuel it got up to a temp of 120F now where do i go with it I'm new to doing it like this i know I'm to get the engine up to 175 to 190F but how do i get it there and since its cold cant run outside cause of snow this is the only way i have to break it in so do i start it and open the carb a little like i was driving it and mess with the high in or what do i do.

thank you for the help.............
EDGE_RACER$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Use AKA's.....

That will solve your need for Diesel fuel.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Put generous amount of traction compound on the tire, then seal them in a zip lock bag overnight.

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
Put generous amount of traction compound on the tire, then seal them in a zip lock bag overnight.
+1 That does the trick!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks guys.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote