Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Narrowed it Down - If it Were Your Money... >

Narrowed it Down - If it Were Your Money...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Narrowed it Down - If it Were Your Money...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Narrowed it Down - If it Were Your Money...

Ok guys, after reading a ton on RC Tech I have narrowed my Truggy selection down to either the Mugen MBX6T or the Xray XT8-09 Spec...

I'm leaning toward the XT8 for the following reasons:

(1) Instruction manual is 1st rate. The Mugen manual is not. (Not a huge issue, but it is nice to work off a really decent manual)
(2) XT8 seems to have better durability

I have the MBX6T on my list for the following reasons:

(1) Appears to have a larger following than the XT8
(2) Less expensive by about $100
(3) Newer design
(4) Looks better than the XT8

My guess is that both these truggies will perform fairly close in terms of handling, jumping, etc... So for me it comes down to which one will take more abuse, and which one is overall the better driving model?

My question is, which one would you buy?

Thanks guys...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Mugen.. Easy choice.. And it is much more durable than the Xray.. Diffs in the xray need constant attention.. And I think it'll handle better too..
Old 02-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

These were the two truggies it came down to for me when i was looking to buy mine. But it was before the current release of these new truggies. Reason i went with the Xray is becuase of their forum. I really liked the fact that you could talk with team drivers and get advise on your setup. But really can go wrong with either, you'll be happy either way.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I drive an XT8 so of course I'm going to be a tad biased BUT either one of those Truggies will server you right. If I were to buy a new Truggy, or recommend a new Truggy to a friend...XRay and Mugen would be on top of my list to check out, in that order.

If you can get Mugen parts locally...buy one. XRay parts are typically hard to find locally, but are a quick order away...luckily not much breaks so parts orders are only here and there. Mugen is tough as nails as well.....

Flip a coin? ;-)
Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Both truggies would be an awesome choice. I went with Mugen but I would make my choice between the two by seeing which one has more support in my area. So go to your track and different hobby stores and see which one has the most support. Then, get the one that does.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

If it were my money.......which it was at some point, I'd buy what I have now.........Mooooooooooogen

Being realistic though, you'd have to be pretty exceptional to really break the back of which handles better than the other.

The Mugen is great though. Easy to strip down and clean/work on, little goes wrong and the quality is fantastic.

Whatever you choose, Im sure you'll be happy!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would do the same see what your LHS has the most parts for. Where I'm from Xray is unheard of so I went with mugen I'm on my second one now. The mugen is a tuff truck. Good luck with your choice.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

That's the 2 choices it came down to for me also. I was racking my brain and couldn't decide. Quality between the 2 are pretty much equal and both handle great. I personally have the Xray and love it, but I'm certain that I'd love the Mugen just as much. It's really a toss up. I ended up with the Xray because I found a good deal on one that had been built and never run.
As already mentioned, I like that fact that I can hop on the Xray forums and ask team drivers setup questions and they are quick to reply. Don't buy based on looks either, the Mugen body fits the Xray just fine. Good luck choosing between these 2, it's not an easy decision.

To the guy that said Xray diffs need a lot of attention, have you ever owned or even seen an Xray? The only attention the diffs need is an oil change just like any other brand. If you had problems with your diffs, it's most likely because you didn't shim them correctly. That will kill any diff.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

I don't drive either brand....or truggy for that matter. But IF i was going to truggy and those were my choices, I would go with the Mugen, just because there are more at my local track(local support) and they are a touch less expensive.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate all the advice...

I pulled the trigger on the MBX6T. In the end, it was all about local parts support, which was good advice. Wish me luck on the build and getting her on the track. Now I just need to figure out what motor...
Old 02-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I still havent seen an Xray on track but there are a number of Mugens. Would seem to indicate they're a bit more common. It sure has been nice having a common vehicle at the track in case I need a part the shop doesnt have (some racer usually has what you need).
Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GulfstreamIVCap
Guys,

I pulled the trigger on the MBX6T. In the end, it was all about local parts support, which was good advice. Wish me luck on the build and getting her on the track. Now I just need to figure out what motor...
Congrats you will like it and the quality of the build is awesome. I would recommend starting off with Joe Alessi setup. His setup is what most people on this forum start with and adjust from there to fit the needs of there track.

Here is the setting sheet:

Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Shanty140 - Thanks man, I really appreciate the setup sheet!!

Last edited by GulfstreamIVCap; 02-22-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GulfstreamIVCap
Guys,

plus21-7 fms
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Between either truggy is a tuff choice, i bought the xray cause i got it for a really good price myself. Mugen is a dang good choice also. Wouldnt mind having one of those myself. Wish i had more time to run mine but it will sit for a few months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.