Wiki Posts
Search

Servo makes weird sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Servo makes weird sound

Hey guys

I have crashed my buggy few months ago,i had to change some parts but not much... After the crash servo was working ok. I was a it busy so i needed 2-3 months to finally change those parts. But today when i finally did it, i have replaced batteries for the servo( the old ones i took out after the crash as i knew im not gonna drive it for some time). And when i tried to move it it started making this weird sound ... Its the throttle servo and its like when it goes all the way to the end ( full throttle-or back) it makes this noise like its struggling to stay in that position or..
Its hard to explain, i have uploaded a video of it but i cant post it here. So if anyone knows or if anyone can post a video here reply and ill message you with the link..

Thanks

When i take off that plastic thing that moves everything that wheel thats under is moving properly without making any sound
Old 02-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShonEPFC
Hey guys

I have crashed my buggy few months ago,i had to change some parts but not much... After the crash servo was working ok. I was a it busy so i needed 2-3 months to finally change those parts. But today when i finally did it, i have replaced batteries for the servo( the old ones i took out after the crash as i knew im not gonna drive it for some time). And when i tried to move it it started making this weird sound ... Its the throttle servo and its like when it goes all the way to the end ( full throttle-or back) it makes this noise like its struggling to stay in that position or..
Its hard to explain, i have uploaded a video of it but i cant post it here. So if anyone knows or if anyone can post a video here reply and ill message you with the link..

Thanks

When i take off that plastic thing that moves everything that wheel thats under is moving properly without making any sound
Sounds like the servo is getting a load put on it as it sits in the center position. The whine you hear is the motor trying to keep the servo centered. Try adjusting the trim to see if the whine goes away. if it does no, replace the servo.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yup I agree with Bigedmond. It would help though if we had the video that way we could know forsure. Try uploading the video to Youtube and post the link here.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

How did you crash? Could have been the servo was stuck at wide open? throw away, get new, just to be sure.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes, i have already uploaded a video to youtube but for some reason i cant post a link on here... So i can msg you with a link and then if you could post a link here it would be great,..
Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If the servo took a really huge shot then it could be twisted in the mounting plate or the case could be cracked/twisted. Take the servo out, loosen the 4 screws that hold the servo together and re-tighten to see if the gear train is binding because of that. It could also have shifted in the mount throwing off your settings (less likely). These are just guesses to investigate.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Adept

First point of call is your EPA (end point adjustment). Have you set them correctly?

If you don't then your servo will blow pretty quickly and what you are hearing could be the servo straining as it tries to go past the end point.

Set your end points on your Tx first.

Digital servos can buzz as they constantly look for the centre point and this is quite normal.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the link to the video.

Sounds like one of ya gears in the servo is stripped to me.

Ya need to remove the servo and take it apart, it won't last long sounding like that IMHO.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Sorry but it doesn't sound like the servo is bad to me.. Sounds like it is binding somehow, or that the brake linkage is causing a bind issue at center.. Or it could be the throttle return spring has too much tension/preload.. I've had mine whine a little due to the return spring..

But I wouldn't go buying a new $100 servo just cause it whines a little.. Well unless it is a Futaba, then it already toast.. HiTec all the way

WOW that servo is messed up.. Disregard everythign I said. Except the HiTec part.. That is crazy sounding..

Sounds like stripped gears, and I noticed at center the throttle doesn't return to idle position. When brakes applied it moves back more.. New servo or gear set in your future.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Have to agrre that it does sound like the gears have gone possible that the teeth have lost the edge and ok until some load goes on it then slips.
If you can see if you can get a metal geared servo and check your end points if you can on your radio
Old 03-01-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for posting the link Flipfly, and thanks for the answers...
If you can see, the one end of that top thing is missing,its broken.... Not sure whats it called but it could be just that thing that goes on top... Anyway thanks, im gonna check it tomorrow again and see if i can fix anything..
Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You stripped that plastic gear inside, but my concern will be looking at the return to center of the servo, dont look all the snappy - would suggest a new servo.